Preview Changes and Preview v GC - OUT Melk, IN Vandenberg, Extended Bench

Remove this Banner Ad

They scored, sure, but it wasn't because of Tex. Every time he went near it Frost was massive.

OMac had a very good game too.

The fact that neither Jenkins nor Tex got on the board says a lot. It was their smalls who were scoring. Greenwood out of clearances, Betts doing Betts, Murphy v Salem.

Frost could become one of the best defenders in the AFL if he improves his aerial ability. He's a big unit, quick, dumb as a box and has that unique advantage of being able to hear a mouse try to squeak out the back for a cheap one in front of 90,000 screaming reprobates at the MCG. In fact, I bet he's listening to me type out this post and humming along in magnanimous approval.

Personally I actually think he struggles to find a role when TMac is up forward and he is too conscious of not flying for the same ball.

I also think we should be doing more of what we did early in the year and throw him into the middle if he isn’t getting involved enough up forward.

More than just that, I think. TMac is getting up around the ground a lot and spends about 3/4 of time on the park, so there are ample opportunities for Hogan to be the main man in the forward line. I think it's also the likes of Milkshakes, ANB, Garlett, Petracca, Spargo, etc crowding the forward line and eating up space that has pretty much resulted in Hogan barely leading anymore. He doesn't have the same pace and athleticism as TMac who can get a bit of separation from his man, launch at the ball and consistently take contested grabs.

I still reckon there's something up with his eyes. The only goal he kicked for the game came courtesy of him horrendously misjudging the flight of the ball. It was Dawes-like in execution... and he didn't even get a set of concrete hands near it.

Last edited:
The single productive thing he did for the match albeit a beautifully weighted hand ball.
Jroo makes everyone else around him better and plays his role to perfection. Hoges looks lost in our structure.
We're obviously never going to agree, and we can all see that his form has dipped, but Hogan was immense for the first 11 weeks of the season as a roaming CHF. Forget Jack Riewoldt, he was Nick Riewoldt. Averaging 20 touches, 6 marks, 2.5 goals a game which are insane numbers. It makes sense that he would be down on form as the season has gone on given his low fitness base after last season, but at the moment he does look a bit lost. I'm more inclined to blame coaches than the player though, if a guy is out of form and your proven way of getting him back in form is to give him stints on ball and on the wing - you surely do it?

We're obviously never going to agree, and we can all see that his form has dipped, but Hogan was immense for the first 11 weeks of the season as a roaming CHF. Forget Jack Riewoldt, he was Nick Riewoldt. Averaging 20 touches, 6 marks, 2.5 goals a game which are insane numbers. It makes sense that he would be down on form as the season has gone on given his low fitness base after last season, but at the moment he does look a bit lost. I'm more inclined to blame coaches than the player though, if a guy is out of form and your proven way of getting him back in form is to give him stints on ball and on the wing - you surely do it?

To be fair I wouldn't agree with you even if I did. Just cuz :p

Also, I don't care if Garlett and Spargo get 0 touches each this week, they better not be going anywhere for the rest of the season and beyond. Imagine what we'd have done to Port if we hadn't played that ****** tall forward line. I'd like to see us chase one of Richmond's lot this year or next to replace Jeffy, who hasn't gone too long left. Stengle and Bolton are probably available, Butler potentially too at the right price, but man I'd love Castagna in red and blue.

I watch a lot of the Tiges as my wife is a supporter, and Castagna isn't the one I'd love; for me, it would be seeing if we could get Shane Edwards or Dan Butler. Highly unlikely I know, but maybe they'd be willing to let Titch go so that they could keep Bolton/Stengle and give Baker an extended run. Castagna for me doesn't front in the big moments; GWS game a good example.

I'd also love Sam Lloyd, and would be interested in having a look at Oleg Markov and Ivan Soldo.

He's a big unit, quick, dumb as a box and has that unique advantage of being able to hear a mouse try to squeak out the back for a cheap one in front of 90,000 screaming reprobates at the MCG. In fact, I bet he's listening to me type out this post and humming along in magnanimous approval.

He does have a couple of satellite dishes pasted to the side of his head for ears.

If Hogan is mostly fit then he needs to play.

Cannot take Gold Coast for granted, this is a must win game and it isn’t too far in the past to forget that this Melbourne team can end up struggling against teams that have nothing to play for (Collingwood r23 2017....)

Cannot take Gold Coast for granted, this is a must win game and it isn’t too far in the past to forget that this Melbourne team can end up struggling against teams that have nothing to play for (Collingwood r23 2017....)
Your anxiety is warranted as it's hard to trust this team because of years of dropping games to bottom teams and gc did roll Sydney just the other week. I think people overrated that Collingwood game in round 23 and underrated Collingwood. Melbourne only just beat Collingwood on queens birthday and though Collingwood weren't in finals contention I wouldn't say that had nothing to play for. The Collingwood players would have wanted to get one back from us and they would have wanted to work for a finals spot and I'm sure they would have enjoyed derailing our season. Also the gold coast aren't anywhere near Collingwood of last year. I know we have been burnt in the past and despite dropping the saints game I have a lot more trust in this team this year.

Don't be silly if you don’t win by 60+ l'll be flabbergasted.

Where's Vanders at, is he fit enough to play AFL yet? Would be a good game this week to bring him back if he is ready

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where's Vanders at, is he fit enough to play AFL yet? Would be a good game this week to bring him back if he is ready
Unless he’s banging the door down at Casey, not sure what he’d add to the side.

Agreed - happy to win by a point.

Same.

Although i would like that little percentage boost with Geelong and hawks creeping up on percentage.

no melksham this week. so either Vanders or Hannan will come in for him

Pretty easy to bring in one of Kent, Hannan, or even.... Vanders??

Article mentioning that Viney is rehabbing slower than expected as well.

I am so tempted to suggest that we just put him on ice until next year, but jeez if we made it to the second week of finals it would be so difficult to leave him out..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back