Preview Changes and Preview vs. Port

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
seriously dont like the changes at all. they have 3 198cm+ forwards and 3 quick smalls.yet we have a small slow defence had the chance to play Petty on Marshall and give him a month with some weaker teams coming up. Plus our team gets slower and lose a smart user. Feels like we lose at selection table most weeks

Pick a 3rd tall and stick with them. Smith gets dropped for being s**t against the Dogs, takes two weeks away from footy, and comes back in?
In fairness to smith, he did something to his neck in the dogs game

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
looks like we've put all our eggs in the contested ball basket. we must be expecting a scrappy game, but if that backfires we'll probably be looking at another hiding as we look too slow on the outside yet again. at least we're not playing on the wide expanses of the MCG though, where we can really get exposed for lack of pace.

Not sure what we can do at selection to change this. Our midfield wouldn't have all gotten quicker because Garlett was selected in the pocket and Frost in the backline.

The great Hawks and cats midfields didn't have pace and didn't need much because they controlled the footy and set up in defence well.

We got exposed for legspeed because we lost the clearance and contested footy. We have doubled down on clearances again selecting Tyson so that's only gonna make us look slow if they aren't winning it and feeding it out.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not sure what we can do at selection to change this. Our midfield wouldn't have all gotten quicker because Garlett was selected in the pocket and Frost in the backline.

The great Hawks and cats midfields didn't have pace and didn't need much because they controlled the footy and set up in defence well.

We got exposed for legspeed because we lost the clearance and contested footy. We have doubled down on clearances again selecting Tyson so that's only gonna make us look slow if they aren't winning it and feeding it out.
yeah, that's my whole point.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I’d have this one 60/40 in Port’s favour at the very least. As far as uncertain outcomes go, if in doubt I’m inclined to say the home side gets up.

I do hope to see a bit of sharpness coming away from a bye round though. Teams sometimes appear sluggish after a break, but there’s no good reason for this. It would be reassuring if we could improve on our recent clearance credentials too.

Brock 'n' Roll

Team Captain
Jul 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Pistons, Storm, NY Mets
I have a bad feeling about tonight, Dixon to get a hold of O mac and Kick 5+. With that bearded flog Westoff chipping in with a couple. I really hope I am wrong.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers

Adding to that, a lack of leg speed wasn't this massive issue in the 6 games before QB, and the team isn't much different. Losing it in the middle, and a lack of clean ball movement hurt us more than leg speed.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
In fairness to smith, he did something to his neck in the dogs game
He got hit from behind and his neck whipped back like he was in a car accident without a head test. I like his inclusion, reckon he’s been very solid. Spargo is pretty stiff to be dropped but he’s only a first year player so it’s fair enough.
Pedo is being treated like s**t. Exactly what I predicted would happen eventuated. He gets picked after a big head knock, plays like s**t, gets dropped like a gun. He’s being treated like s**t by Goodwin. I hope he leaves and goes to the Saints, Dogs or Blues and has a few really good years. Deserves more respect than what he has been shown by our coaching group.
And Jeffy.. it appears he must have spit the dummy and not responded as the coaches have asked.

demon21

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2003
Tasmania
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
melbourne/Chargers
I'm still not convinced we play the right structure in our backline i think we are 1 defender short, Whether its Lever or Smith they should be the 3rd defender think we have to play either Petty or Frost to play with Oscar gives us more options. Basically we play 1 key defender and if Oscar having a bad game we haven't really got plan B.

Black Saab

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
All best for tonight!!

If you win, depending on the margin you will either be first or second. Not long ago many would say "in what possible world could Richmond and Melbourne be 1 & 2 on the ladder!!??"

Well, stuff you rest of the competition. It's well and truly time our teams have their day. We've been on the other end faaaaar too long.

Get the four points Dee's.

All best for tonight!!

If you win, depending on the margin you will either be first or second. Not long ago many would say "in what possible world could Richmond and Melbourne be 1 & 2 on the ladder!!??"

Well, stuff you rest of the competition. It's well and truly time our teams have their day. We've been on the other end faaaaar too long.

Thanks mate.

We are 2 games behind Richmond, Sydney and WC so a win would likely see us stay 4th unless Collingwood absolutely belt Carlton by 100+

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
All best for tonight!!

Appreciate the well wishes, hopefully our two clubs can stay at the top end of the ladder for many years to correct for our record at the start of the 21st century.

You are not quite correct though, as we will still be 1 win behind the top 3 if we win tonight.

Back