Changes and tactics vs St. Kilda - Stretch, OMac Out - Jetta, Lewis In

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frost is fast I'll give you that. Yes he can take a grab but he is much more likely to drop an overhead uncontested mark. He would be one of the last players in the team I'd pick to take an overhead grab if my life depended on it & as far as his strength is concerned I seem to recall him being outmuscled by Mark Baguely in the goal square two weeks ago.
I am not saying he is Matthew Scarlett but I am saying he is a fair bit better than OMac and really good on mobile types. He does do well on Buddy. If he got his disposal improved he’d be far more reliable. I’ve also seen him take some really nice marks.

Interesting to see what impact the 4 day break going into Anzac eve has on team selection this week if any. Perhaps we won’t risk Lewis off a hammy. Although all the noise from the club suggests he’ll play this week.

You really have NFI what you are talking about
What exactly have you changed? St Kilda have for the last 3-4 years always employed a very fast outside game with use of open space to advantage their mobile forwards. It’s a little wonder McCartin hasn’t come on because he just doesn’t suit what you’re about.

What exactly have you changed? St Kilda have for the last 3-4 years always employed a very fast outside game with use of open space to advantage their mobile forwards. It’s a little wonder McCartin hasn’t come on because he just doesn’t suit what you’re about.

They used to kick it to Riewoldt all the time and now they don't?

You really have NFI what you are talking about
If you’d watched the game on the weekend you’d have realised that the first half was owned by Hawthorn, particularly in the third quarter. You’re uncontested ball winners were restricted because Hawthorn controlled the ball. You got on top in that final term because Hawthorn lost some key players and you started to play your brand.

If you look at the uncontested possession leaderboard you’ll see 3 players of yours in the top 40;

5. Ross
8. Billings
34. Newnes

They were you top 3 ranked players on the weekend.

You have always played well against sides who lack pace, always, I remember you beating Hawthorn in 2017 by about 70 points and you ran them ragged. You do it to us all the time.

Post Ross Lyon you’ve been a very uncontested focused side with genuine runners.

If you’d watched the game on the weekend you’d have realised that the first half was owned by Hawthorn, particularly in the third quarter. You’re uncontested ball winners were restricted because Hawthorn controlled the ball. You got on top in that final term because Hawthorn lost some key players and you started to play your brand.

If you look at the uncontested possession leaderboard you’ll see 3 players of yours in the top 40;

5. Ross
8. Billings
34. Newnes

They were you top 3 ranked players on the weekend.

You have always played well against sides who lack pace, always, I remember you beating Hawthorn in 2017 by about 70 points and you ran them ragged. You do it to us all the time.

Post Ross Lyon you’ve been a very uncontested focused side with genuine runners.

Like us, and with the wide-sweeping expanse of the MCG that's a death-knell.

Plus Brett Ratten.

Hi all, sorry to intrude but I quite enjoy the Dees board and posters by and large, and getting an outside view on my Saints makes for interesting reading.

Be a good test for us tbh. St Kilda always struggle against teams willing to keep possession against them but they’ll trouble you if you try to run through them.

Pretty much this. Can’t pressure a player who has marked the ball. Space is what we thrive on offensively, but also our biggest weakness if exploited by kicking your way down the field.

I think both our mobs are still finding their feet this season so nothing is a given in this one, and both sides are rightfully optimistic. Hope it’s a good one :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to this. A good win last week. Sydney have not been playing particularly well. But we’ve been poor this year. So a win on the road with the team we had was a big boost.

We’ve got a few to come back still but lose to the saints and we will be all but putting the queue in the rack. This one will show us where we’re at.

I'd like to see our mids mark the footy more. All of em are big units but they don't present often enough to mark coming out of defence.

The best ball movement often starts with a mark around HBF line and then a quick handball on. It allows your forwards to either come forward or go back and stretches the last line in the zone.

You also don't bring your whole defensive zone up the field with you which means You aren't as susceptible to counters

Re what's been written above, we've made some pretty big changes to the way we were playing last year in particular.

As highlighted pre-game yesterday where they showed some stats where we went from 18th or so last year to 1 or so this year, and vice versa.

Eg. We were the team who played on from a mark the most in the league by a long way last year, whereas this year we're doing it one of the fewest, and last year we did the long kick down the line one of the fewest, whereas this year I think we were doing it the most after 3 rounds, and there might have been 2 or 3 other examples of very big swings in where we were ranked in certain areas last year compared to this year.

The other thing that really sticks out like dogs balls this year is how dramatically better we're set up defensively across the ground when defending the other team bringing the ball out of our backline.

Last year teams were generally just waltzing it out of there as they pleased, whereas at times this year it's felt like I was watching us from 2009/2010 again, with how hard we make it for teams to get it out of our forward line.

Essendon for instance spent pretty much the whole first quarter against us trying to get the ball out of our forward line and failed dismally, and it was only our innacuracy which prevented the game from being just about over by quarter time.

What will be interesting though is whether the way we were playing last year was better suited to beating you guys on the MCG than the way we play this year is.

A big game for both teams.

Hope it's a cracker with no injuries and may the best team win y'all!

I'd like to see our mids mark the footy more. All of em are big units but they don't present often enough to mark coming out of defence.

The best ball movement often starts with a mark around HBF line and then a quick handball on. It allows your forwards to either come forward or go back and stretches the last line in the zone.

You also don't bring your whole defensive zone up the field with you which means You aren't as susceptible to counters
Pretty much why we need that floating defender to repel the saints forward entry so we can run that ball out fast. If we can be smart enough to hold someone back then our defensive zone isn’t too far forward because we still haven’t worked out that when that happens and our midfielders don’t win it, we can annihilated on the rebound.

I mean if crackpots like us can see through this then a bunch of professional footballers should be able to.

Nick Dal Santo on SEN yesterday lamented the state of the game. Said the skill levels were as bad as ever and that the way it’s played is close to unwatchable. He mentioned that he felt like walking away from the game whilst doing his special comments segment for the Melbourne v Sydney game.

These rolling mauls are just horrendous. There is this intense focus on elite runners and speed hence why these situations occur. Every player is basically a kick chaser and just gets dragged up the field.

Why is it you think that a coach can’t keep 1-2 defenders back in defence whilst everyone is up the field?

Re what's been written above, we've made some pretty big changes to the way we were playing last year in particular.

As highlighted pre-game yesterday where they showed some stats where we went from 18th or so last year to 1 or so this year, and vice versa.

Eg. We were the team who played on from a mark the most in the league by a long way last year, whereas this year we're doing it one of the fewest, and last year we did the long kick down the line one of the fewest, whereas this year I think we were doing it the most after 3 rounds, and there might have been 2 or 3 other examples of very big swings in where we were ranked in certain areas last year compared to this year.

The other thing that really sticks out like dogs balls this year is how dramatically better we're set up defensively across the ground when defending the other team bringing the ball out of our backline.

Last year teams were generally just waltzing it out of there as they pleased, whereas at times this year it's felt like I was watching us from 2009/2010 again, with how hard we make it for teams to get it out of our forward line.

Essendon for instance spent pretty much the whole first quarter against us trying to get the ball out of our forward line and failed dismally, and it was only our innacuracy which prevented the game from being just about over by quarter time.

What will be interesting though is whether the way we were playing last year was better suited to beating you guys on the MCG than the way we play this year is.

A big game for both teams.

Hope it's a cracker with no injuries and may the best team win y'all!
Good post. I found the uncontested ball winning statistics really interesting. Ross, Billings and Newnes are getting a lot of them. Is it because they are just this kind of player or are they just exceptional at identifying and running to space?

I think the inherent focus on ball winners and contested players inherent on application of pressure is identifying huge gaps for really smart outside types to shine. I mean if you asked me who are most critical player is right now I’d say Hunt. Sure Gawn, Oliver and Brayshaw get the plaudits, but how many contested beasts can you have and do you need?

As I said above re Dal Santo, in rep footy its all about pressure and tackling, with pace. I get that speed is big, but I feel uncontested receivers are the most valuable types right now.

Looking forward to this. A good win last week. Sydney have not been playing particularly well. But we’ve been poor this year. So a win on the road with the team we had was a big boost.

We’ve got a few to come back still but lose to the saints and we will be all but putting the queue in the rack. This one will show us where we’re at.
If we lose this finals is off.

In fact the only team I have seen this year play more of a traditional type of football is Hawthorn. Surprise surprise. Has Clarkson got one more flag in his bag of tricks by doing a full 180 in tactics at the expense of all these coaches following the garden path? It won’t be because they are better, but because they are smarter.

Not so sure about this. I’m only 4 games into my AFL supporter career and I’ve already contracted a debilitating case of MFSS.
You get to a point where you become so used to losing that forums like these are really welcoming warm places and that negativity is the comforting default that provides humour, mental relief, escapism, and the occasional ability to all jump on an opposition supporter poster who dares enter, alstwhile high fiving and celebrating with a ‘I showed that successful Hawthorn fan!’ Type of mentality.

You get to a point where you become so used to losing that forums like these are really welcoming warm places and that negativity is the comforting default that provides humour, mental relief, escapism, and the occasional ability to all jump on an opposition supporter poster who dares enter, alstwhile high fiving and celebrating with a ‘I showed that successful Hawthorn fan!’ Type of mentality.

This boards gone downhill tho

The MS paint thread, the preview thread etc all gone now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back