Changes and tactics vs St. Kilda - Stretch, OMac Out - Jetta, Lewis In

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stretch a victim of two starting 22 players back in. Probably right call.
Probably the right call but I would have liked to see him get a few games in a row

Im not sure what the over reaction is. If Stretch was only in the side due to late withdrawals then he was only a place holder anyway. He didn't do enough to demand a spot and Jetta and Lewis are always getting a game.

Hopefully they use Wagner as the key defender not Hore

Im not sure what the over reaction is. If Stretch was only in the side due to late withdrawals then he was only a place holder anyway. He didn't do enough to demand a spot and Jetta and Lewis are always getting a game.

Hopefully they use Wagner as the key defender not Hore
Mine is great team management once again. Or maybe its the opposite to what i thought would happen so im going wtf. Nobody rested with a 4 day break. Hibberd looks like s**t/underdone rest him. Viney will breakdown at some point rest him. Maybe over reaction with 4 day break but * me richmond will cut us up if we dont recover and thought some fresh legs going into that game would help. Stretch isnt best 22 thats not what this is about with me could have just used him again to freshen up a player. But whatever surely our Elite Performance Manager and his team know best and doing everything to prevent injury

Its not the medical staff picking the team, its the match committee. For better or worse blaming the medical staff for the way the team is picked is just dumb.

I do find the Saints fans the most one-eyed out of all supporters.

There was a game against them a few years back at Docklands I went to with a saints mate and sat with his family. I sat quietly as we continued to get rorted by the umpires but managing to stay somewhat in the contest.

The whole game everyone around me was lamenting how much of a raw deal they were getting from the umpires. 'Oh it's about time we got a free kick' literally every time they got one. They were something like 14-4 UP in the free kick count to half time before i just started ignoring it.

Like I try my very best at games to go 'yeah, fair enough that free kick was there' and call them as they are rather than as I want them to be. Obviously supporters of every club are biased, but I find the Saints fans are the most hard done by all the time. Like even blatant, 110% free kicks every day of the week where supporters of most other clubs would just stay silent, nup, Sainters want to argue the point.

Essendon the most arrogant, Tigers the most rank, Carlton the most deluded, hawks the most BS 'supporters' of all time (remember all those 'member since 2008' scarves going round?).

Collingwood fans I don't really have much of a problem with actually. The ones I talk to are probably the only fans of another club who actually know something about the players from other clubs. North fans I just feel sorry for. Footscray supporters are back in their box but it was funny how filthy they became after that flag. I remember walking around the ground level of Docklands one game where Neville outmarked the Great Tom Boyd. Then I think Watts had a shot from the boundary that he dobbed. The absolute vitriol and filth coming from the dogs supporters over the fence was eye-opening.

Crows supporters are just ugh. Made up side with made up fans. Been to a lot of footy all over the country at a lot of different levels, but the most bogan I've ever seen was on the hill behind the goals when we beat them for the first time in Radelaide since the side arrived on an Ansett flight. There were literally a group of 3 or 4 of em, unable-to-understand-smashed, still sitting there 20 mins after the game giving it to the dees supporters who hung around waiting for the players lol. The cesspit on the hill that night will haunt me. Getting to go up in the old scoreboard was good though.

Ditto for WCE supporters. Just annoying.

The rest I have no opinion on aside from GW$. They can just gert ourt.

Good read.

I've always had a thing about the Saints - hate the team. It's not even very rational at all or based on anything but I seem to be stuck with it. I don't mind their fans TBH - I like some of the posters on their board and the only Saints man I am friends with is a dead set legend. I've got a bit of respect for them. They're like us in a way. If they have been welded onto a team like the Saints for their lifetime it kind of shows an ability for blind loyalty, because God knows we have all had to sit through some unholy s**t and hang on.

Pies I've never minded so same as you. Adelaide and WC terrible. Maybe I've had a bad experience or two but just yuck. Essendon I don't really get and never will. Sat in the MCG once with everyone twirling their scarves and I just thought "weirdos".

Hawks fans can get stuffed.

I hate the Saints for attempting to ruin the first time I sat down to watch a 2018 match with a few beers. Figured I had a proper Saints beat down coming and boy was I wrong. Luckily TheCount implored me to skip to the next game and the night was saved. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 TheCount.

The Saints , for all their huffing and puffing , have only won 1 flag , They may beat us this coming game . but you don't win anything this time of the year !

That is one slow back six. Frost will probably pick up Gresham and Jetta will be on Bruce, if recent evidence is anything to go by. They'd want to be on with their disposal because if we can't hit targets in the middle of the ground we're going to get cut up on the rebound.

Interesting to see how the Saints try and match up on our three talls in the forward line, though. Do they have a third tall defender?

That is one slow back six. Frost will probably pick up Gresham and Jetta will be on Bruce, if recent evidence is anything to go by. They'd want to be on with their disposal because if we can't hit targets in the middle of the ground we're going to get cut up on the rebound.

Interesting to see how the Saints try and match up on our three talls in the forward line, though. Do they have a third tall defender?

We will go in with Brown (195), Battle (193) & Wilkie (191) as our tall defenders. Webster (188) is also capable of playing as a third tall defender. Apart from Brown it’s a fairly mobile & versatile defence.

We have been playing short up forward & down back & only playing one ruck all year & it’s seemed to work. Acres (listed at 191 but he’s been said to be 194) will play as our second ruck but only around the ground where he can’t get jumped into & it’s only a wrestle. We’ll concede the tap & try & use Acres as another midfielder around the stoppage.

The concern for St Kilda will be Preus & Gawn either resting forward or sitting in the defensive hole. Last time we played you guys Gawn continued to mark everything we sent into our forward 50. 6-6-6 might make it a bit more difficult for Gawn to get back though.

Our strength this year has been efficiency inside 50. We are one of the better teams at creating scores from forward entries.

I think it’s a given you guys win the midfield battle with Gawn & Oliver far superior to our ruck & best mid. Saints will try & limit clean clearances & hurt you guys on the rebound.

Saints are pretty quick at covering the ground defensively & offensively but still lack a lot of polish & will give the ball up often.

Should be a good game, expecting you guys to come in with a bit of confidence & we the same. I doubt it’s free flowing & likely ends up being a grind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really no. Big opportunity to exploit their lack of height in defence. But that would mean we would need to be smart moving the ball forward, which we haven't been good at so far this year.

Saints aren't the quickest team in the comp, but compared to us they are a bunch of Usain Bolt's! Gresham, Lonie and Billings to have a field day. Which means we have to contain the rest. Must win game with a resurgent Tigers looming in 5 days! Can't afford to drop this one..

Both Wagners have been underwhelming
I think they've played their role though without being outstanding. I would have loved to see Jeffy in for Spargo, and maybe Lockhart for C. Wagner, but I'm sure we want Jeffy to play multiple good games in the VFL before picking him. I'm surprised Lockhart didn't come back in. Looked ok against Bombers and has some pace which we're desperately needing..

We will go in with Brown (195), Battle (193) & Wilkie (191) as our tall defenders. Webster (188) is also capable of playing as a third tall defender. Apart from Brown it’s a fairly mobile & versatile defence.

We have been playing short up forward & down back & only playing one ruck all year & it’s seemed to work. Acres (listed at 191 but he’s been said to be 194) will play as our second ruck but only around the ground where he can’t get jumped into & it’s only a wrestle. We’ll concede the tap & try & use Acres as another midfielder around the stoppage.

The concern for St Kilda will be Preus & Gawn either resting forward or sitting in the defensive hole. Last time we played you guys Gawn continued to mark everything we sent into our forward 50. 6-6-6 might make it a bit more difficult for Gawn to get back though.

Our strength this year has been efficiency inside 50. We are one of the better teams at creating scores from forward entries.

I think it’s a given you guys win the midfield battle with Gawn & Oliver far superior to our ruck & best mid. Saints will try & limit clean clearances & hurt you guys on the rebound.

Saints are pretty quick at covering the ground defensively & offensively but still lack a lot of polish & will give the ball up often.

Should be a good game, expecting you guys to come in with a bit of confidence & we the same. I doubt it’s free flowing & likely ends up being a grind.
That’s a really good analysis mate. Very thorough.

As I’ve highlighted before our biggest issue will be a lack of pace, our ineffective forward entries, your good conversion rates, and our midfielders lacking cerebral content and trying to win everything in a contested situation. I think our lack of pace can be offset by having Lewis play. He will organise our back 6 much better and make sure the zone doesn’t get dragged up too far where you’ll kill us on a rebound.

We’ve got to be smart here, I think if Hunt and Harmes can stay wide and receive the ball on the outside then that’ll help us deliver it quickly to a tall forward line, but disposal is critical as any ground balls will be collected and rebounded.

On a defensive rebound I’d expect you to go;
1. Straight into the middle to a midfielder if our midfielders get caught too deep, or
2. Out wide to the wings to run and carry and then delivering to Bruce & Membrey.

I don’t mind either option as long as your forwards don’t have acres of grass to run into because our unresponsive back 6 have to press high. Modern footy is so dumb, why oh why just leave miles of space behind you? Teams with pace will just burn you. And we are not a quick side.

I think Richardson is using your advantages well. I think the way to wear you down is also to control uncontested ball. Hawthorn were really in control when they were dominating this statistic last week. In saying that, Ross, Billings and Newnes are uncontested ball machines, so that’s why staying on them on the outside is a must. There’s got to be a lot more two way output from some of our ‘stars’.

Going to be a good game if we arrive. If we are off then you’ll win by 5-6 goals.

As I’ve highlighted before our biggest issue will be a lack of pace, our ineffective forward entries, your good conversion rates, and our midfielders lacking cerebral content and trying to win everything in a contested situation. I think our lack of pace can be offset by having Lewis play. He will organise our back 6 much better and make sure the zone doesn’t get dragged up too far where you’ll kill us on a rebound.

Don't know about Lewis having that big an impact down back. If he's the spare / extra man in defense, it's easier to point and direct traffic, crowd the dangerous space and sit in a hole waiting for a bad kick. If it's 6 on 6, everyone is going to be accountable for someone and there are going to be two or three St Kilda small forwards who will burn their opponent for pace if they get a kick to advantage. Not much point doing a great job telling everyone else what to do if your direct opponent slots half a dozen on you. Problem with Lewis in the back line is he'll never have a good matchup.

Don't know about Lewis having that big an impact down back. If he's the spare / extra man in defense, it's easier to point and direct traffic, crowd the dangerous space and sit in a hole waiting for a bad kick. If it's 6 on 6, everyone is going to be accountable for someone and there are going to be two or three St Kilda small forwards who will burn their opponent for pace if they get a kick to advantage. Not much point doing a great job telling everyone else what to do if your direct opponent slots half a dozen on you. Problem with Lewis in the back line is he'll never have a good matchup.
Good point. Strong. But my thinking right now is we need something down there, right now without Lewis the cupboard is bare.

We look short with OMac out but he was that out of form anyway, I guess they back Hore, Lewis and Hibberd to play a bit taller.

Wagner I reckon
If Wagner plays on Membrey, we are going to struggle. Membrey is no world-beater, but is way too strong for Wagner.

Hibberd isn’t a great 1v1 player, but has a strength/pace advantage over Wagner. Membrey can be quite clever with how he uses his body, too. Hopefully Hibberd’s experience can counter that.

If Wagner plays on Membrey, we are going to struggle. Membrey is no world-beater, but is way too strong for Wagner.

Hibberd isn’t a great 1v1 player, but has a strength/pace advantage over Wagner. Membrey can be quite clever with how he uses his body, too. Hopefully Hibberd’s experience can counter that.
Membrey isn’t a power forward, he’s an athlete with a big tank. campaigner lives playing us though. I reckon Frost is the right match up for him.

Membrey has 19 goals from 7 games against us in St. Kilda colours. Never been held goalless. Josh Wagner has a chance to make history if he is ridiculously given that task. Really would have liked May for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back