Fixture Changes Bulldogs v Bomberos

Remove this Banner Ad

Lost opportunity to play at least 2 of Buss, Gallagher or Cleary.
Absolutely, this team needs refreshing big time.

Whilst Bevo thinks we’re any chance of competing this won’t happen and it’ll be same old s**t, never mind this team has barely beaten a top 8 side in 2 years.

The sooner he goes and the sooner these old has beens are out of the side and we can actually see what some of these kids have, the better. That will take a new coach though it’s not happening under Bev, surely the inevitable loss tomorrow with final hopes slipping away is enough for change so we can at least salvage something from this train wreck of a year by finding out whether some of those kids have a future or not

Wishful thinking

Love how people are melting about defensive selections, like we have 10 other options to choose from. Busslinger is the only tall defender we have left not in the AFL team, and he is still skinny and needs work man on man.

Selection isn't the issue. List management is. We have no choice but to play Gards, Bruce, Keath. That is all we have to choose from. We do not have any elite defenders with a good kick available. Either that or we play zero talls at all.

Good to see Buku finally rewarded for form. But if he struggles, maybe it will finally shut up those who keep spamming why he isn't in the team etc. But now that he IS in the team, there is still some not happy. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.
I'm hoping he does smash it.

Surprised Williams is sub. But to be fair I have not noticed him at all the last few games. And has been sloppy with ball use at times.

Would have liked to see Gallagher, but needs more than one good VFL game in my opinion. Form is a series of games, not just one game. Which is why I am not always a fan of reactionary droppings after one poor game, or promoting after one hot game. He has only just come back from injury, so rather we be safe and sure he is ready to step up.

Our team depth is poor, so our selections will always be so and so.

Cleary not getting a chance so far this year is my biggest gripe. Been in the bests most weeks, and don't say that he cannot fit into the current team. Doc has lost pace, and Dale goes missing all the time. We squeezed JJ amongst them, no reason why Cleary cannot get a run.

Last edited:
Love how people are melting about defensive selections, like we have 10 other options to choose from. Busslinger is the only tall defender we have left not in the AFL team, and he is still skinny and needs work man on man.

Selection isn't the issue. List management is. We have no choice but to play Gards, Bruce, Keath. That is all we have to choose from. We do not have any elite defenders with a good kick available. Either that or we play zero talls at all.

Good to see Buku finally rewarded for form. But if he struggles, maybe it will finally shut up those who keep spamming why he isn't in the team etc. But now that he IS in the team, there is still some not happy. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.
I'm hoping he does smash it.

Surprised Williams is sub. But to be fair I have not noticed him at all the last few games. And has been sloppy with ball use.

Would have liked to see Gallagher, but needs more than one good VFL game in my opinion. Form is a series of games, not just one game. Which is why I am not always a fan of reactionary droppings after one poor game, or promoting after one hot game. He has only just come back from injury, so rather we be safe and sure he is ready to step up.
What teams are getting around with 3 lumbering big bodied key defenders right now? Especially considering match ups, Keath & Gardner would be just fine. Throw in Doc and yeah it’s poor selection.

Yeah look past last week mate, Williams is clearly a much better user of the ball than those two. At least Baker has pace, not sure what Poulters bringing tbh
Poulter is a decent overhead mark, which we seem to prioritise on our wings (hence why we've moved Williams there) - although in fairness, he's not done a lot of that recently, seems to get most of his possessions in open play rather than kick-to-kick. Huge kick though, and decent shot at goal in general play. He's a type who should theoretically help when transitioning the ball from defence along the wings. I thought he did well for a bottom 6 player last week

What teams are getting around with 3 lumbering big bodied key defenders right now? Especially considering match ups, Keath & Gardner would be just fine. Throw in Doc and yeah it’s poor selection.
I don't disagree with the fact we only really needed two of them. But still my point stands, our stocks are poor. No matter who we bring in or out, it will still be poor. My comment was in reference to the talls only.

But do agree Doc should have been dropped. Been getting smashed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s Williams bringing? Slow turnovers but the odd goal
Again look past last week, he’s one of the best kicks in the side. You’ve thrown the KE% stat at me before so you should know? He’s rated elite at 72% and avgs less turnovers than the other two.

He’s also strong aerially, very strong in the contest and defensively. He’s not perfect but he’s had a very solid year on the wing

AFL Team | Round 19
Essendon v Western Bulldogs

Friday 21 July, 7.50pm AEST
Marvel Stadium

B: Laith Vandermeer, Ryan Gardner, Josh Bruce
HB: Bailey Dale, Alex Keath, Ed Richards
C: Caleb Poulter, Marcus Bontempelli, Oskar Baker
HF: Jack Macrae, Aaron Naughton, Adam Treloar
F: Cody Weightman, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Anthony Scott

R: Tim English, Caleb Daniel, Tom Liberatore

Int: Bailey Smith, Rhylee West, Taylor Duryea, Buku Khamis

Sub: Bailey Williams
Emer: Rory Lobb, Jordon Sweet, Riley Garcia

Honestly don’t hate that team. Reckon that team with Williams in for Duryea, Bruce forward/ruck and Khamis third tall defender is just about the best team we can put on the park at the moment.

Would be nice to find room for Garcia though.

Poulter is a decent overhead mark, which we seem to prioritise on our wings (hence why we've moved Williams there) - although in fairness, he's not done a lot of that recently, seems to get most of his possessions in open play rather than kick-to-kick. Huge kick though, and decent shot at goal in general play. He's a type who should theoretically help when transitioning the ball from defence along the wings. I thought he did well for a bottom 6 player last week
Spot on with the role you outline for Williams
Use his strength penetrating kick and ball travels through the air quickly

He hits the scoreboard also

Again look past last week, he’s one of the best kicks in the side. You’ve thrown the KE% stat at me before so you should know? He’s rated elite at 72% and avgs less turnovers than the other two.

He’s also strong aerially, very strong in the contest and defensively. He’s not perfect but he’s had a very solid year on the wing
He’s averaging 9.9 kicks a game and 4.2 contested yet 2.8 turnovers if you think that’s good then you be happy with that

His kicks mostly to good spots, unlike the spray and pray BS some of our players do with their kicks (gaming term for shooting wildly and hoping you hit something). Do not understand the dislike for Poulter at all. Barely done anything wrong, growing each week, kicks long and to good spots each time, playing like an actual winger. Could find it a little more, or get a couple more tackles. He is no Usain Bolt, but isn't exactly slow either.

At least he gives our forwards a better chance and seems calm under pressure.

Essendon are also playing with only one key forward and a lumbering ruckman who struggles forward. The rest are agile medium sized types. 3 key defender that can’t dispose of the footy is just not needed this week (or any week for that matter).

Poulter has actually played well the last two weeks
Poulters been okay, but he’s extremely slow by both foot and mind. His kicking is loopy and safe, zero hurt factor,
pretty weak in the contest too. Been good at hitting the scoreboard though and he covers a lot of ground.

He’s just a zero hurt factor player and not what we need IMO - he’s good depth but that’s where he should stay for now

I find KE% stat a little ambiguous as it does not take into account the difficulty of the kick and where the player is positioned on the ground

Poulters been okay, but he’s extremely slow by both foot and mind. His kicking is loopy and safe, zero hurt factor,
pretty weak in the contest too. Been good at hitting the scoreboard though and he covers a lot of ground.

He’s just a zero hurt factor player and not what we need IMO - he’s good depth but that’s where he should stay for now
Again everything you’ve described here is the same for Williams how can you not see that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back