Preview Changes Bulldogs V Bombers Round 7

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been thinking that it might be Schache and we go in small

at least the weather conditions look good although I’m not sure it suits our style up there. Speaking to an Eagles mate he said they really struggled in the night watches with the greasy/ humid conditions on the Gold Coast. Never thought I’d be so disappointed to play so many night games!
Well we have played some of our best games with a small forward line in the past.

Weightman is meant to be a strong marking player.

I like it best when an old wearer of the same number presents the jumper (Wheels presenting to Caleb springs to mind).

Bevo as a former small forward #19 could've had a bit of fun there I reckon.
Not many real stars have worn #19 in the club's annals. I hope our man can overcome the weight of history.

Merro anyone ?
Merro was the first that came to mind. Played well over 150 games IIRC.

Alan Martin part of the best backline in VFL history. Played 105 matches (1949 - 1954) the last one the 1954 grand final.
A dashing half back flanker.

Martin was before my time . Pleased to hear there were others.

I guess it illustrates my point if we have to go back nearly 70 years.

Merro anyone ?

174 games over 10 seasons, under-sized fullback who regularly came up against Hudson, Wade, McKenna, Jesaulenko, Blethyn, Noonan, Moncrieff. Not a star, but probably one of the most under-appreciated players in our recent history. He and Alan Martin stand head and shoulders above any other #19 we've had (apologies to Zeno Tzatzaris and Terry Love!).

Weightman has always seemed so happy to be at the Dogs.

These videos are great, never get sick of them. Sounds like a great kid and a great family. Hope he has a great debut (not too great) and a long and successful career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merro was the first that came to mind. Played well over 150 games IIRC.

Martin was before my time . Pleased to hear there were others.

I guess it illustrates my point if we have to go back nearly 70 years.

In Merro's case, only 45 years - but still prior to the lifetimes of most contributors to this forum!

Also, I'm guessing a few on here saw Gary Merrington in action (I did), but is there anyone on here who actually saw Alan Martin play?
I've seen Alan Martin in person - at WO on occasion, and also as he walked out in 2004 on the MCG in our game v Melbourne that was promoted as our 54 flag 50th anniversary, against the same opponent. Some will remember we actually moved our home game to the G in round 3. Boom recruit Rawlings was fading fast - after 7.3 and 4.7 in rounds 1 and 2, he only managed 1.1. Patrick Bowden kicked 4.2 in the best game he ever played in our colours. Forgettable day really, other than the surviving 54 members paraded out on the ground.

1594858438020.png
Walter Donald, Herbert Henderson, David Bryden, Alan Martin, Edward Whitten, James Gallagher

Has there ever been a better looking pack of roosters collectively make up a VFL/AFL backline?

(I believe only Herb and Jim are still with us?)

I have to ask - does anyone else actually call their parents "mate"? I can't imagine being that casual, and I'm probably closer to Weightman's age than I am to the majority of posters here

Loved his dad's reaction though, with all the casual swearing and not realising he was being filmed

Weightman looks the goods. Hope he has a shocker debut against us but tipping the dogs comfortably unfortunately. Old man is a scragger so have a soft spot for the doggies.

We have too many outs now and shields suspension doesn't help.

Hopefully can scrap out a win but don't see it against a near full strength dogs outfit likely pissing fire.

Weightman looks the goods. Hope he has a shocker debut against us but tipping the dogs comfortably unfortunately. Old man is a scragger so have a soft spot for the doggies.

Hopefully can scrap out a win but don't see it against a near full strength dogs outfit likely pissing fire.
We lost to Carlton last week.

Not quite - missing Naughton, Dunkley, Crozier from our best 22, only Crozier back this week. Bont struggling the past few weeks - will struggle to kick 21 2-3 unanswered goals this time!

Not quite - missing Naughton, Dunkley, Crozier from our best 22, only Crozier back this week. Bont struggling the past few weeks - will struggle to kick 21 2-3 unanswered goals this time!

i said "near" ;)

I know, but isn't it accepted BF practice to take a quote out of context and then escalate it into an argument that eventually bears no resemblance to the point of the original post?! :D

i like the dogs too much to do that in your board lol

I have to ask - does anyone else actually call their parents "mate"? I can't imagine being that casual, and I'm probably closer to Weightman's age than I am to the majority of posters here

Loved his dad's reaction though, with all the casual swearing and not realising he was being filmed
I thought it was a bit more eccentric that the Dad called the son "old fella", but they seem like a tight, genuine kind of family. Nice to get that kind of insight.

The bit that caught my attention was his Dad saying "just go out and enjoy it". Numerous times I've seen how well this works in various sports. I saw it clearly when I was coaching soccer. It helps players stay in the moment and not get anxious about their performance or the expectation of others.

Let's hope he's able to follow the old man's advice. He seems the type who can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back