Unofficial Preview Changes/Discussion Pies Round 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity - would certain players when traded in have clauses in there contracts that say they cant be dropped or rather if they are available they must play seniors. I genuinely can't recall the last time a senior player was dropped and a statement made- im not including Lyons or Robinson b/c they were done physically - I'm talking an out and out dropping with that player going to the resreves. I feel like its the usual suspect of young players dropped.

I don’t think so, no

Out of curiosity - would certain players when traded in have clauses in there contracts that say they cant be dropped or rather if they are available they must play seniors.
No.

Rich in for Fort, Rayner going forward.

Big spotlight on Linc to do something otherwise Lohmann comes in.

Don’t mind Fort as the sub, assuming no injures I see a few benefits.

1) Having an extra rotation that can actually run for 80% of the game will benefit the running capacity of the whole team and should help us run out games better.

2) Having a fresh ruckman at the end of the game is probably more impactful than having a fresh flanker/winger.

3) Gives us the option to really stretch out a defence at the end of a game depending on situation and match-up.

4) Our weakest link each week is generally one of the talls so having a simple and easy replacement would be good.

5) Fort/Oscar are both probably good enough to be in the best 22

Downsides are it could hurt us if there's an early injury to a small meaning we'll have to play probably too big for a large portion of the game.

I’d drop Hipwood well before I’d drop Daniher.

But both players really need to work on their cardio to get up the ground more, and open up the forward 50.
Rich in for Fort, Rayner going forward.

1) Having an extra rotation that can actually run for 80% of the game will benefit the running capacity of the whole team and should help us run out games better.
I’m struggling to see where the extra running player is coming from if you’re dropping Fort for Rich, and moving Rayner forward.

None of the three players are genuine runners.

Yeah if we are dropping a tall forward, Hipwood goes before Joe does. I'm not sure Joe overly cares to much about being a professional footballer, so what we get is what I think we'll continue to get with him, but even that right now is better than any form Hipwood has had (bar his finals series) since coming back from the reco.

But both players really need to work on their cardio to get up the ground more, and open up the forward 50.

I’m struggling to see where the extra running player is coming from if you’re dropping Fort for Rich, and moving Rayner forward.

None of the three players are genuine runners.
If Rayner moves forward then there's an extra rotation in the forward/mids meaning they should be able to share the time on ground and hopefully be able to run out games a little better. Sure Rayner isn't a genuine runner but he can certainly cover the ground better than Fort.

If Rayner moves forward then there's an extra rotation in the forward/mids meaning they should be able to share the time on ground and hopefully be able to run out games a little better. Sure Rayner isn't a genuine runner but he can certainly cover the ground better than Fort.
Rayner can certainly offer some burst speed and provide some closing speed, but I reckon Rayner and Fort would probably cover the same amount of k’s during a game.

Rayner can certainly offer some burst speed and provide some closing speed, but I reckon Rayner and Fort would probably cover the same amount of k’s during a game.
Probably true but with Rayner on the ground the rest of the team shouldn't have to work as hard to cover for him, especially in the forward line. As you've mentioned the ball rebounded out of our F50 far too easily last night so adding Rayner as a forward rotation over Fort it should, in theory, help with our forward pressure. Of course that is assuming Cam will bust his gut along with the other forwards to provide pressure.

That’s why I think we need to do away with the 2 Ruckman.
Daniher is actually competing quite well in the Ruck so far this year.
So atleast that will take Daniher further up the ground for periods of the game leaving us with a slightly smaller and more mobile forward line if Oscar is off the ground.

After the w'end, I am keen on Dev for Linc.

And shove a rocket up Hippy's ass. It was not Joyce that JUH embarassed, it was him.

To be fair if Hipwood and Daniher got the soft free kicks he got we'd have probably won.

So easy to judge key forwards when mids aren't delivering the ball well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Rich isn’t ready then hopefully something like this:

Out: Joyce, McCarthy, Hipwood
In: Robertson, Lohmann, Prior

Saw the last qtr of the ressies and Robertson played a mid fwd role. His tackling pressure and ground ball gets won us the game. Need that forward pressure and grunt in the seniors. Lohmann to play the sub 10 possession McCarthy game. Prior on a wing and Wilmot in defence instead of Joyce.

That ground ball gets is something we got smashed in against the dogs.......3 ...3. inside forward 50 ground ball gets. love to see Dev and Kai in that forward line adding some defensive pressure against the pies.

That ground ball gets is something we got smashed in against the dogs.......3 ...3. inside forward 50 ground ball gets. love to see Dev and Kai in that forward line adding some defensive pressure against the pies.

Love what Kai will become as a player, but IMO this issue is we're too stacked up forward with guys keen to score and make plays. Need a selfless contested footballer to apply pressure and help the others excel. I think Dev showed how capable he is as a mid and in a pressure forward role on the weekend.

Love what Kai will become as a player, but IMO this issue is we're too stacked up forward with guys keen to score and make plays. Need a selfless contested footballer to apply pressure and help the others excel. I think Dev showed how capable he is as a mid and in a pressure forward role on the weekend.
IMO Kai would be bring very similar attributes as what Wilmot has brought albeit different play styles. I think some would be surprised by the amount of energy and pressure he would bring. Sure he may go for a few marks he shouldn't or try to do a bit much at times but his energy and ability to just make something happen is something we need.

IMO Kai would be bring very similar attributes as what Wilmot has brought albeit different play styles. I think some would be surprised by the amount of energy and pressure he would bring. Sure he may go for a few marks he shouldn't or try to do a bit much at times but his energy and ability to just make something happen is something we need.

He is an exciting player no doubt, but what we need is forward half pressure and the ball locked in. We're stacked when it comes to playmakers.

He is an exciting player no doubt, but what we need is forward half pressure and the ball locked in. We're stacked when it comes to playmakers.
Yeah I’m trying to say that Lohmann would provide that imo. He’s got great energy and enthusiasm, he’s got good time trial numbers from memory. He’d bring more pressure and energy than the rest of our forwards and it’d certainly be more consistent.

Yeah I’m trying to say that Lohmann would provide that imo. He’s got great energy and enthusiasm, he’s got good time trial numbers from memory. He’d bring more pressure and energy than the rest of our forwards and it’d certainly be more consistent.

Dev had 12 tackles and had some mammoth moments in the forward line in Q4. Lohmann looked good but Dev is primed, fit and can also play in the middle. I think he's much too like for like with Linc than Dev.

Dev had 12 tackles and had some mammoth moments in the forward line in Q4. Lohmann looked good but Dev is primed, fit and can also play in the middle. I think he's much too like for like with Linc than Dev.
Dev would be the other option but he's just not a forward, I am a little worried Dev may go down the same path as guys like Keays and T. Berry, get pigeonholed as a small forward when their best position is inside mid. Also with Berry going inside lately I don't see Dev getting any time in there.

Dev would be the other option but he's just not a forward, I am a little worried Dev may go down the same path as guys like Keays and T. Berry, get pigeonholed as a small forward when their best position is inside mid. Also with Berry going inside lately I don't see Dev getting any time in there.

I think that's the point I'm trying to make. We have 6 forwards who are all playmakers and goal scorers. We need someone who is adept at pressure football, tackling and defensive work in the forward line. Dev doesn't need to score, but he needs to get the playmakers more opportunities to score. Hope that makes sense.

I think that's the point I'm trying to make. We have 6 forwards who are all playmakers and goal scorers. We need someone who is adept at pressure football, tackling and defensive work in the forward line. Dev doesn't need to score, but he needs to get the playmakers more opportunities to score. Hope that makes sense.
It makes sense but I still think he needs to be dangerous forward, or at least know what he's doing up there or else he just won't be in a position to get involved I don't think he's a bad option. I just think Lohmann offers those same things you're asking for along with far more in attack.

I'd love to play Lohmann if he was fit and in his early season form of last year but on his reserves form he'd be lucky to retain his place there . He needs more game time before he could possibly be considered .

Ah Chee is a no brainer as a small pressure forward on whatever he's done whenever played there over the last couple of years but for some reason he has keep proving himself whilst others keep getting free passes.

I never bought in to the Fages plays favourites thing but it's starting to become apparent.

Kai started to look more like pre-injury Kai y'day. No jumping on heads, but a lot more involvement in play. Not seniors ready just yet imo. Would like to see Dev get a six week run in the firsts on the promise he won't be dropped. Such a competitive, team-first player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back