Unofficial Preview Changes/Discussion Pies Round 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rayner stays back - we can't just keep shifting magnets forever.
I can't see Rich being an upgrade on anyone at the moment but I'll bet he's back in.
I'd like to see either Prior or Robertson replace Linc in the forward line - I think both offer more in general play with less heroics and more grunt.
I'd drop either Hippy or Joe - take your pick - and bring Fullerton in who has spent a bit of time in defense in the VFL.

The bigger ones for me are Oscar, Fort and Joyce.

I struggle with Oscar at times... there seemed to be little connection with the mids last night from either ruck and it shouldn't be that hard. It's a toss up between him and Fort.

Joyce I actually didn't mind but I think he makes us too tall this week - so maybe it's Dev forward Prior back?

Rayner stays back - we can't just keep shifting magnets forever.
I can't see Rich being an upgrade on anyone at the moment but I'll bet he's back in.
I'd like to see either Prior or Robertson replace Linc in the forward line - I think both offer more in general play with less heroics and more grunt.
I'd drop either Hippy or Joe - take your pick - and bring Fullerton in who has spent a bit of time in defense in the VFL.

The bigger ones for me are Oscar, Fort and Joyce.

I struggle with Oscar at times... there seemed to be little connection with the mids last night from either ruck and it shouldn't be that hard. It's a toss up between him and Fort.

Joyce I actually didn't mind but I think he makes us too tall this week - so maybe it's Dev forward Prior back?

Agree I want Rayner to stay back he’s done well and was only sent forward because the forwards weren’t providing.

I feel like Hippy or Joe should come out for a small. First time I’ve ever said that but I feel like they have very little pressure. Would like to see Fort be primary ruck with O being the Forward/Ruck he was with Martin so we can have some more contested marking in the forward line.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What Fagan should do:
Out: Hipwood, Payne, McCarthy, Wilmot, Answerth
In: Lyons, Lester, Mathieson, Robertson, Ah Chee

What Fagan will do:
Out: Fort
In: Tunstill
I think i understand why you coach at U/11 level. You want to replace a rapidly developing KPD who is gaining confidence and kept Naughton to 1.0 and 13 disposals (3 of which when Payne was off in the 2nd Q, yeap I watched the replay), not to mention Naughton got a couple of follow up disposals when rucking in the forward line, and replace KPD Payne with 3rd tall defender Lester. Why do you think Harris was able to take so many intercept marks against the Dogs, because for most of the games (not all of it), Payne kept Naughton engaged. I am sure if you look hard enough you will be able to find a couple of occasions when a highly rated AFL forward got away from Payne, but it wasn't too often.

I recall last time Lester tried to play KPD, Riewoldt in his 300th kicked 6 on him (lets say 5, as I believe one was not Lester's fault).

I thought Wilmot was pretty good last night, laid a good tackle to attempted to lift the team, and I thought he played well and is tracking nicely. I love his attitude and he is showing good commitment and I think back flank is a perfect spot for him currently.

Hippy has been quite but I am hoping he has another break out game this week, but yes he and Joe need to be better.

I have always liked Robertson, just a shame he is being played out of position, and possibly Ah Chee as an in as 23rd man.

Any way each to their own (which I generally like about this forum), and obviously you are an emotional supporter (which is great), but some of the personal attacks from last year and this year, directed at a few players, but especially Payne are a bit nasty, and obviously you have found your new whipping boy.

It makes sense but I still think he needs to be dangerous forward, or at least know what he's doing up there or else he just won't be in a position to get involved I don't think he's a bad option. I just think Lohmann offers those same things you're asking for along with far more in attack.
Robertson has proven he can find the goals. He’s a more rounded forward than the others in that he can defend.

He is an exciting player no doubt, but what we need is forward half pressure and the ball locked in. We're stacked when it comes to playmakers.
Need some junk yard dogs. Missing Robinson and not selecting Mathieson is hurting us.

I think i understand why you coach at U/11 level. You want to replace a rapidly developing KPD who is gaining confidence and kept Naughton to 1.0 and 13 disposals (3 of which when Payne was off in the 2nd Q, yeap I watched the replay), not to mention Naughton got a couple of follow up disposals when rucking in the forward line, and replace KPD Payne with 3rd tall defender Lester. Why do you think Harris was able to take so many intercept marks against the Dogs, because for most of the games (not all of it), Payne kept Naughton engaged. I am sure if you look hard enough you will be able to find a couple of occasions when a highly rated AFL forward got away from Payne, but it wasn't too often.

I recall last time Lester tried to play KPD, Riewoldt in his 300th kicked 6 on him (lets say 5, as I believe one was not Lester's fault).

I thought Wilmot was pretty good last night, laid a good tackle to attempted to lift the team, and I thought he played well and is tracking nicely. I love his attitude and he is showing good commitment and I think back flank is a perfect spot for him currently.

Hippy has been quite but I am hoping he has another break out game this week, but yes he and Joe need to be better.

I have always liked Robertson, just a shame he is being played out of position, and possibly Ah Chee as an in as 23rd man.

Any way each to their own (which I generally like about this forum), and obviously you are an emotional supporter (which is great), but some of the personal attacks from last year and this year, directed at a few players, but especially Payne are a bit nasty, and obviously you have found your new whipping boy.
Go to 1:43 OMG
Go to 4:01 Dear me … Gives away a free
Highlights: Western Bulldogs v Brisbane

P.S - My son plays in the U11’s and I like to support Community Footy. Ran an Auskick Program at our club for a couple of years too. Supporting grass roots footy is fun. No big deal, it’s what I want to do as a parent.

Last edited:
Need some junk yard dogs. Missing Robinson and not selecting Mathieson is hurting us.

Midfield is fine imo. Just missed the opportunity to use Rayner there when we needed someone to just break lines and get the ball deep.

Issue was mainly around skill (what are the odds of all our movers being off at the same time?) And the inability to lock the ball in.

For me, McCarthy is the weakest link and needs to offer more than he does. His pressure isn't elite and he isn't kicking goals.

Hipwood had a very quiet resumption after his knee injury but played ONE good game last year. He has been hopeless so far this year, He stands several metres behind his man ALL the time ( I have seen the Power and Doggies game live). Put him at full back in the Seconds for a few games. I think I saw that he is the worst player statically who has played 100 games. I'm off the Hipwood wagon.

McCarthy has been invisible for longer than I can remember. I criticise Ah Chee for not getting the ball enough but McCarthy has taken this to a new level.

At the ground I saw Bailey take short steps a few times and not provide shepherds when required. the absence of a physical effort is not acceptable. Drop him?

Daniher is getting more shots at goal than anyone else so the calls to drop him don't hold water. He is starting to go hard at the ruck contests this year.

In the last quarter we were being thrashed in the centre square and it was bewildering to me that Oscar didn't once try to merely smash it forward. We have a clueless match day coaching panel. The complete lack of an attempt to generate some run and carry from defence shows they have no idea.

Looks like McStay still has his wayward Lions kicking boots on😂 but other than that Collingwood look on fire🔥 our boys are going to have produce something special next week to make it a contest.

So what … go in unchanged against Collingwood. Not having a crack at you, because I like your posting, but who would you drop / include against the Pies?

Whatever our plan is to beat the Pies hoping they might have a bit of an off night shouldn't be factored in because it just ain't gunna happen the way they're going.

It's the chance for a few players who've copped criticism for not being hard enough to step up and prove the doubters wrong.

Big match next week.

So what … go in unchanged against Collingwood. Not having a crack at you, because I like your posting, but who would you drop / include against the Pies?
With Cox apparently out for a few weeks and now looks like Cameron injured, I would play one ruck only and probably Big O, but I think Fort is also good.

We are going to need some speed against the pies so I would keep the same back 7, although I suspect Rich will come in, as Pies don't have an overly tall forward line so maybe Joyce misses. Hugh stays on the wing and Dev comes into the midfield off the bench. Ah Chee 23rd man, but who knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d be playing two rucks at this stage. Regardless of opposition we just have to get our own team balance and player form issues right. I think Fort and big o have been good.

It’s more our forward 6 and back mix that’s wonky atm. Robertson can play that forward mid role. His ferocity at the contest was awesome in the 2s. I think put Prior on the wing and then Wilmot to half back

Nothing builds cohesion like wholesale changes.

Yep, lets change 1/4 of the team. I like it.
Not saying I agree with 3KZ at all but we've never had wholesale changes. How many players have been dropped after we've decided to go with them since Fages has been around ?? Count them on one hand. If that.

Has that built cohesion ?? Just sayin'.

Nothing builds cohesion like wholesale changes.

Yep, let’s change 1/4 of the team. I like it.
Were you at the game on Thursday? We don’t have cohesion. We have dysfunction. We are looking for players who can maybe provide cohesion. It’s not like these people are strangers. These are professional team athletes who train and play together. The game plan is worked out and the players know it and then work to implement it. The cohesion comes from all understanding and implementing the game plan. That’s where the coach comes in.

Can’t justify not making meaningful changes after how we’ve played in 2 out of 3 games. It’s unfair how quick we seem to be to drop the likes of Robertson and Tunstill while allowing so many others to be undroppable

Can’t justify not making meaningful changes after how we’ve played in 2 out of 3 games. It’s unfair how quick we seem to be to drop the likes of Robertson and Tunstill while allowing so many others to be undroppable
Prior is another of Fagan’s WHIPPING BOYS, as are Ah Chee, Mathieson and Fort. If Fagan knew what he was doing, he would have subbed Hipwood off against Footscray and played Fort forward. In a game we were behind in, where we needed to generate scoring opportunities, how did having a small defender running around help? JUST PLAIN DUMB AS FAGAN COACHES US TO A LOSS.

Last edited:
This is huge game in context of season.

Must win.

I know this is an early call but I feel like if we lose we are toast.

This is huge game in context of season.

Must win.

I know this is an early call but I feel like if we lose we are toast.

I’m not sure must win is accurate but we must start playing good football for 4 quarters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back