Unofficial Preview Changes/Discussion Pies Round 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Effort was there against the Dogs. Ah Chee will put in the effort and can win contested footy while being a good kick.
You mean Wilmot in this particular instance yeah, because it wasn’t there from the whole team.

I’d have Ah Chee in, in place of McCarthy. I’d like to keep Wilmot in the team at this stage.

You mean Wilmot in this particular instance yeah, because it wasn’t there from the whole team.

I’d have Ah Chee in, in place of McCarthy. I’d like to keep Wilmot in the team at this stage.

It was though. I get it was shitty to see us lose, but we ran hard both ways and competed. We absolutely shot ourselves in the foot with our ball use and if we didn't we'd have won with ease. Unlike the Port game, the effort was clearly there and the defensive running data available backs it up.

Not every loss = lack of effort, especially one decided by 2 goals (which was only a one goal difference down to the final minute).

It was though. I get it was shitty to see us lose, but we ran hard both ways and competed. We absolutely shot ourselves in the foot with our ball use and if we didn't we'd have won with ease. Unlike the Port game, the effort was clearly there and the defensive running data available backs it up.

Not every loss = lack of effort, especially one decided by 2 goals (which was only a one goal difference down to the final minute).

Disagree. Better than the port game but evident in our ball movement and spread from clearance that we weren't running. Not to mention the last 10 minutes

We could have won with better skills and using the corridor at that much effort.
But sprint efforts was 250 dogs vs 208 lions. We had 186 v Melb and 184 v port. We lose this stat clearly every week. If we win clearances easily we can cover it. If not we are going to struggle.

Collingwood had 307 on Friday. We won’t know what hit us.

Thinking it through Bailey in a tagging role might work. He plays like he always needs to make something happen and when it doesn't he gives up. Focusing totally on an opponent might be the mental release he needs.
Just cant see Bailey applying a hard tag. Not a defensively minded player from what I have seen.
It does need to be a hard tag, and not a run with role on a good but young half back flanker.
The Pies score from their run and linkup play from halfback, and Nick Daicos either starts them or is involved in most.
The Lions need to break that link or at least put him under pressure for each of his disposals. Force some turnovers.
Daicos does some kickins and likes the old one two follow up.
So, we also need to stop that easy kick to unattended Pies player in the pocket from any kickins Daicos does. Maybe from them all.

Both Bailey and McCarthy are down on form and going to Daicos will actually bring them to the ball, as Daicos to date is a ball magnet.
This year he has 35, 32 & 33 disposals.

If we let Daicos run amuck from half back that will be bad coaching from Fagan.
It also needs to be done from first bounce not as an afterthought, halfway through the 2nd term.

None of this talk afterwards, about we just wanted to back our team structure first, before we made some game day decisions.

It does need to be a hard tag, and not a run with role on a good but young half back flanker.
The Pies score from their run and linkup play from halfback, and Nick Daicos either starts them or is involved in most.
The Lions need to break that link or at least put him under pressure for each of his disposals. Force some turnovers.
Daicos does some kickins and likes the old one two follow up.
So, we also need to stop that easy kick to unattended Pies player in the pocket from any kickins Daicos does. Maybe from them all.

Both Bailey and McCarthy are down on form and going to Daicos will actually bring them to the ball, as Daicos to date is a ball magnet.
This year he has 35, 32 & 33 disposals.

If we let Daicos run amuck from half back that will be bad coaching from Fagan.
It also needs to be done from first bounce not as an afterthought, halfway through the 2nd term.

None of this talk afterwards, about we just wanted to back our team structure first, before we made some game day decisions.
Totally agree . Going in with no significant plan to disrupt the way they set up scoring would be ........well I don't think we're that stupid.

To line up on Daicos, yes we do
Not sure it’s worth putting someone on Daicos, he’ll find the ball no matter what. Haven’t seen many players run harder to get a kick in or blast their teammates for not giving a handball to him. We just need to make sure whoever he is playing on is put in dangerous positions to make him pay.

It was skill errors, fumbles, missed handballs, shocking goal kicking and field kicking that lost the game. We were 10-15% down and that's enough to lose a game in this comp.

The intent to move the ball quicker and stick with the game plan was there. Still a few teething problems, still yet to click, but it will. I think we all knew it would take time. We hoped the preseason games would be enough, they weren't. Then we've come up against top 4 teams and been patchy. Probably still working out best combinations to some extent.

I think we've pretty much got the right 23/24 players. So I'm not making any big changes.
In the backs, I think the extra hight of Joyce and Payne is allowing Andrews to take a smaller man, he can run off n spoil or intercept mark. Andrews is looking like the player of old. We may have missed some of Riches organisational experience. If fit I'm bringing Rich in for Kiddy, he just looked off. Then the only other change I'm making is the sub. Kiddy could be sub but I'd like him to have a game in the Vfl to get a bit of touch and confidence back. Or Dev, he had a good game in the ressies, played mostly mid/fwd. I think we could use a bit of extra grunt v Mitchell, Adams, Pendles, De Goey.

Pies will be without Cox and Cameron, their talking Mcstay to ruck or an untried kid. I think Miochek may also be out with a finger injury. So it's likely to be a smaller fwd set up for them. If we can pressure them and they're just bombing into the fwd 50 our talls will clean up. If they run away from us, move the ball as quick as they have their sm fwds will clean up. Going in with three talls down back could be questioned. I'm happy to back them.

Stick with the 2 ruck 3 fwd set up. Surely O n Fort can work over Mcstay and a kid. And Gunston, Joe n Hippy surely should find a mismatch v pies undersized tall defense. I think we can really take an advantage against the pies with the extra height we have, but to make that happen our mids n smalls need to work hard up n down, in and under.

So for me, Rich in for Kiddy, Kiddy (only if he's trained well) or Dev sub. We've got the home ground, Pies injuries could play to our advantage, we're a chance of winning. Let Mitchell, Adams, Pendles, De Goey get first use and we could be in for a tough night.

Would need someone who can run all day. Matho is the opposite
I remember games last year where Matho willed himself through contests that no one else would have, winning crucial goal scoring contests LATE IN GAMES

What ever criticisms can be made of Matho lack of effort late in games has absolutely no credence from his efforts in the seniors last year!

Nathan, get on a new horse.

The coach better do something cause he's on his final straw.
Go on a diet Morbidly Obese . You're stuck with Fagan for a while .

I'm confident we'll roll the Pies this week. They spent an awful lot of juice against the Tigers. They have no ruckman. They're undersized vs. us.

Make them know they're in for a really hard night from the first bounce.

I'm sure the brains trust is on to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go on a diet Morbidly Obese . You're stuck with Fagan for a while .

I'm confident we'll roll the Pies this week. They spent an awful lot of juice against the Tigers. They have no ruckman. They're undersized vs. us.

Make them know they're in for a really hard night from the first bounce.

I'm sure the brains trust is on to it.
Unfortunately I do not trust our 'brains trust'.

Ah Chee in to play defensive forward on Daicos. Rich back in if fit. Out McCarthy and Joyce. Pies won't have a tall forward line because McStay will be needed in the ruck. Should leave Mihocek and Johnston as the main talls. Robertson to play as sub instead of Answerth. But I would be looking to introduce him maybe half way thru third qtr.

Keep the two rucks and rotate them in regular intervals and work McStay over. We should have an advantage here and it could be decisive.

Berry to go head to head with De Goey. Try to negate him and work off him when we have the ball.

Maybe we can use Hipwood as the sub.

Bring a tall on late in the game when the pace is out of the contest and things have slowed down.

I noticed against Richmond Collingwoods first half was 100 miles an hour and the Richmond talls were non existent.

Then second half Lynch and Co starting to get a hold of their back line

Hipwood deserves patience re hitting some form having only played half a season last year after coming off a knee.
Hipwood played 17 games last year. Time for decisions to be made?

Rest a ruck there. Hipwood needs a kick up the …..

I thought his game against Melbourne was good. Competed and pressured well.

Game against dogs was poor, but a lot of our players were poor. So I think it’s a reach to single out one guy from that performance.

Agree, we looked better defensively. There was some method in the way we ran back and there were players communicating, yelling out and handing off dogs players based on who was running where. I think defensively we were in there all game till 4th quarter which was good to see. There was no overlap run fast breaks from Dogs either which was another point showing our defensive run was holding up well.

The trouble was when we won the ball and went forward of center, there was a bunch of one man show acts which just spoiled it for the rest. Forward line didn't look like a unit at all, there was no one doing empty leads opening up holes behind them and stretching Dogs defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back