Unofficial Preview Changes/Discussion Pies Round 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jo, Hippy & Gunston, our 3 talls, have all had mixed results so far with Hippy the most down on form.
However, i prefer this set up with Jo ruck relief. That gives us an extra running midfielder over the 2-ruck set up.
Also brings Jo into the game a bit more.

Calls for dropping one and running with two rucks one resting forward i just don't like.
Playing as a KPF is the hardest position to play in the AFL.

A resting ruckman just does not give the opposition defenders as much trouble as a KPF.
Resting ruckman rarely give a lead, and really just fill a hole forward and hope the ball falls into their area, and hopefully take a mark.
We all would like our KPF to do a bit more chasing and pressure acts but a resting ruckman would be worse.

Also, there is no one yet in our VFL side capable of holding down a KPF spot and keeping opposition defenders honest.

Agree, we looked better defensively. There was some method in the way we ran back and there were players communicating, yelling out and handing off dogs players based on who was running where. I think defensively we were in there all game till 4th quarter which was good to see. There was no overlap run fast breaks from Dogs either which was another point showing our defensive run was holding up well.

The trouble was when we won the ball and went forward of center, there was a bunch of one man show acts which just spoiled it for the rest. Forward line didn't look like a unit at all, there was no one doing empty leads opening up holes behind them and stretching Dogs defense.
Straight after the game I thought we were poor . Not PA poor but poor just the same.

On reflection it was a crap game to watch ,the Dogs weren't much better , just converted a couple of iffy frees and tbh seemed to have a bit more hunger for the contest which was probably the difference on the day.

Just the same our effort wasn't there to the degree it needs to be to beat any side really and our execution was ordinary bar the build up to the 3 Gunston kicked. Who finished it off.

The defensive 6 repelled more than their fair share of attacks primarily due to Andrews being in a position to exert his physical dominance in the air.

Obviously we should see a major improvement this Thursday.

Agree, we looked better defensively. There was some method in the way we ran back and there were players communicating, yelling out and handing off dogs players based on who was running where. I think defensively we were in there all game till 4th quarter which was good to see. There was no overlap run fast breaks from Dogs either which was another point showing our defensive run was holding up well.

The trouble was when we won the ball and went forward of center, there was a bunch of one man show acts which just spoiled it for the rest. Forward line didn't look like a unit at all, there was no one doing empty leads opening up holes behind them and stretching Dogs defense.
We lost. Comprehensively.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

We lost. Comprehensively.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Can't see how it was a comprehensive loss. The game was a real slog where neither team could really get going.

Bulldogs capitalised on our inefficiency with the ball going forward and our inability to string together offensive thrusts. We held our own in the backline and midfield for the most part.

Jo, Hippy & Gunston, our 3 talls, have all had mixed results so far with Hippy the most down on form.
However, i prefer this set up with Jo ruck relief. That gives us an extra running midfielder over the 2-ruck set up.
Also brings Jo into the game a bit more.

Calls for dropping one and running with two rucks one resting forward i just don't like.
Playing as a KPF is the hardest position to play in the AFL.

A resting ruckman just does not give the opposition defenders as much trouble as a KPF.
Resting ruckman rarely give a lead, and really just fill a hole forward and hope the ball falls into their area, and hopefully take a mark.
We all would like our KPF to do a bit more chasing and pressure acts but a resting ruckman would be worse.

Also, there is no one yet in our VFL side capable of holding down a KPF spot and keeping opposition defenders honest.
I don’t mind playing the two rucks atm. We just shouldn’t bother having two rucks on the ground at the same time. No resting ruck. They should always rotate with each other off the bench. Then take one of them off when we sub.

Our second ruck options are pretty bang average. If we still had McStay then he could play that role but Joe is not competitive in the ruck contest and his follow up is poor.

Two key forwards is enough and then if we are getting smashed in the air we can put a ruck forward. Our keys don’t halve the contests anyway. Rayner and McCarthy also more likely to take a mark or not get pushed off the ball so easily.

Against Port - yes, comprehensively.
Against Dogs - we lost it in the forward line.
Someone posted a stat where in every game our defensive pressure gauge has been lower than each of the teams we played. If we want to be premiership contenders rather than pretenders then our pressure needs to rise significantly and the gap between our best and worse needs to decrease significantly

I see Harry Sharp was named in the bests in the reserves again, is he worth another shot as our gut running winger?

The Pies are a hell of a running side, I am worried they will run us off our feet Thursday night.

With no recognized rucks playing for Pies we need Big O and our mids to have a monster game. Our coaching group have to come prepared for this one.

It'll be shambolic if we can't get our sh1t together in the middle this week.

My Changes:
Out: Hipwood, Bailey
In: Ah Chee, Dev

They won't learn that their pressure is below standard if they don't have consequences. Consequences are loss of games

I've been calling for Hipwood to be dropped. but I expect him to get picked next week. With Pies on a ruck crisis, they might have to move talls from either end to cover for ruck. Had a quick look at Pies board and they're tossing up moving McStay, Johnson (who has a good leap) or Frampton to the middle to cover for ruck. 2 of those players need to do the ruck duties to cover for rotation.

It might free up one of our talls to have a good game. As long as we're ready for it.

Expecting Fagan to show zero common sense at selection. Mulligans all round.

Fagan got one of the club admin assistants to run a bunch of these off. The club is awash with them. Some players have been allegedly selling them, while others are hoarding them. There are enough in circulation to keep most out of form players in the side until 2025.

1680428206676.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fagan got one of the club admin assistants to run a bunch of these off. The club is awash with them. Some players have been allegedly selling them, while others are hoarding them. There are enough in circulation to keep most out of form players in the side until 2025.

View attachment 1648008

Do you mind if I print a few of these? Would've helped a bit today at Sandy Links ;)

I see Harry Sharp was named in the bests in the reserves again, is he worth another shot as our gut running winger?

The Pies are a hell of a running side, I am worried they will run us off our feet Thursday night.
We can rely on QLD humidity and ball acting like a bar of soap to make the game more scrappy. Hope this brings Pies a few levels down in terms of skills where we can match them as long as our workrate is up.

Hope we are practising at night too which might mirror game conditions

Do other coaches hand out mulligans like Fagan does?

Fagan used that term once last season.

That was after one really poor performance following a run of good form.

I'm not aware of him using it ever since but if he has, please point it out.

Otherwise this "mulligan" reference smacks of the old "never let the facts get in the way of a good story"

Fagan used that term once last season.

That was after one really poor performance following a run of good form.

I'm not aware of him using it ever since but if he has, please point it out.

Otherwise this "mulligan" reference smacks of the old "never let the facts get in the way of a good story"
He inferred something pretty close in his press conference after round 1 that we wouldnt play as poorly - which lasted less than a fortnight or even a week if you include the second half of the last Q against Dees.

He inferred something pretty close in his press conference after round 1 that we wouldnt play as poorly - which lasted less than a fortnight or even a week if you include the second half of the last Q against Dees.

7grqcn.jpg

View attachment 1648008

I finally understand Mulligan!!

I'm a bit slow, so thanks for the explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back