Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Qualifying Final 2023 v Port @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone interested in doing a preview for our first final please PM me.

Edit: thanks mpal6 ! If anyone else is still interested I'll also take expressions of interest for our second final, whoever and whenever that might be.

Last edited:
Yeah he's the 3rd winger but I'm suggesting increasing our forward pressure by giving Bailey his wing time

Assuming Dev plays more on ball with Lyons out

We don't keep the same structure every week
I don't mind that, Bailey IMO is a very competent wing. At one stage I was sure that was going to be his established position.

Yeah he's the 3rd winger but I'm suggesting increasing our forward pressure by giving Bailey his wing time

I'm keen to see that. I think his pace and defensive intent could be really important against Port.

The best the team can do to keep the current 2-tall forward line is keep winning. There’s no way selection committee will bring Gunston back if the existing line up wins (and avoid injury!).
If we lose, then all bets are off.
That just isn't true, if the selection team thinks he strengthens our team, which most of us on here are in disagreement with, then he plays. It's that simple. If they have seen the light and believe that 2 tall forwards is the way forward then there is no way he comes back without injury.

That just isn't true, if the selection team thinks he strengthens our team, which most of us on here are in disagreement with, then he plays. It's that simple. If they have seen the light and believe that 2 tall forwards is the way forward then there is no way he comes back without injury.
braddsey ‘s point is a valid one.
I think the coaching staff are happy to continue with the current set up because it has worked so far and the fact that they have decided not to pick Fort or Fullarton makes you think that they are happy to run with it but if they were to lose the first final those thoughts may change.
It is probably unlikely that Gunston will be ready by the second final but it would be interesting to see if they bring in Fort or Fullarton in the event of a loss.

The thing is Cal mentioned he had a talk to Fagan about a wing/forward role and it looks like that has now been granted to him.
If Cal prefers that role better, overall it should be better for the team.

I get what you are saying but i think the forward mix with Linc, Charlie, Zorko & Ah Chee is a good mix of pressure players.
Then you have Rayner, Bailey, McCluggage and Dev rotating through that area as well.
Throw in Dunkley and Neale at stoppages and i can see why we are 2nd on the ladder.

Bailey in particular is an x-factor to me. He can and absolutely will rip a game apart in the midfield one day, let's hope sooner rather than later. If he can work on some of his weaknesses he could be one of the best forward/mids in the game.

He can’t tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

braddsey ‘s point is a valid one.
I think the coaching staff are happy to continue with the current set up because it has worked so far and the fact that they have decided not to pick Fort or Fullarton makes you think that they are happy to run with it but if they were to lose the first final those thoughts may change.
It is probably unlikely that Gunston will be ready by the second final but it would be interesting to see if they bring in Fort or Fullarton in the event of a loss.
My opinion is that as soon as Gunston is fit to play, he plays regardless of whether we win or lose any game from here. Not saying it's the right decision but I do believe he is regarded as invaluable in the big games.

My opinion is that as soon as Gunston is fit to play, he plays regardless of whether we win or lose any game from here. Not saying it's the right decision but I do believe he is regarded as invaluable in the big games.
I agree, he is “regarded” as invaluable by Nunez and Fagan, but he really isn’t. This is evident when we look at how the forward line functions without him. Additionally, most of this group have played finals for the last four, soon to be five years. There is plenty of big game experience in the lineup, so the idea that Gunston’s presence would somehow serve the team well from a team leadership perspective is diminished.

I really do believe that Gunston can’t be selected, coming off an injury lay-off and having been in indifferent form for most, if not all of the year. If we are to win the Premiership this year, there is no room for sentimentality and we can’t afford to self-sabotage at the selection table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll help set the scene.

Its grand final day. First 5 minutes. Everyone is nervous, except Gunners. Gunners kicks 2 in the first 5 minutes and settles the entire team. Gunners is invaluable. He will be back. Mark my words.

I agree, he is “regarded” as invaluable by Nunez and Fagan, but he really isn’t. This is evident when we look at how the forward line functions without him. Additionally, most of this group have played finals for the last four, soon to be five years. There is plenty of big game experience in the lineup, so the idea that Gunston’s presence would somehow serve the team well from a team leadership perspective is diminished.

I really do believe that Gunston can’t be selected, coming off an injury lay-off and having been in indifferent form for most, if not all of the year. If we are to win the Premiership this year, there is no room for sentimentality and we can’t afford to self-sabotage at the selection table.
Hard to dis-agree with most of what you say however in all due respect, I value & trust Fagan's expertise in giving us the best chance at a flag and find the theme of Fagan's favourites pretty dis-respectful given his football experience over anyone on Big Footy's and most in the industry.

Hard to dis-agree with most of what you say however in all due respect, I value & trust Fagan's expertise in giving us the best chance at a flag and find the theme of Fagan's favourites pretty dis-respectful given his football experience over anyone on Big Footy's and most in the industry.
Yeah, I’ve dropped off the Fagan’s pets theme. He’s actually been picking some strong sides and settling his lineup for the Finals. Credit to him.

Come Finals, 9 times out of 10 the players select themselves based on form. So much so, that the only real question I can see for the coming round is with McCarthy’s return, who goes out and who is SUB. Even there, I think it is super likely to be

McCarthy in
Lyons out
Lyons SUB

Medical staff at Brisbane are the best in the business and the Football Gods have been kind, with the exception of Ashcroft’s injury. This stability and our form on the park really are an ‘X- Factor’

Come Finals, 9 times out of 10 the players select themselves based on form. So much so, that the only real question I can see for the coming round is with McCarthy’s return, who goes out and who is SUB. Even there, I think it is super likely to be

McCarthy in
Lyons out
Lyons SUB

Medical staff at Brisbane are the best in the business and the Football Gods have been kind, with the exception of Ashcroft’s injury. This stability and our form on the park really are an ‘X- Factor’
Ashcroft's injury is a real downer but apart from that we have our best side on he park. It's the best shape physically we've been in for any finals series in the Fagan era.

Because Jo is used as ruck relief i do prefer the 3 tall forwards setup.
However, when you have someone like Rayner you can get away with him being that 3rd tall even though he is a little undersized.

I was firmly in the Gunston camp early in the season.
But his form was so up and down he deserved to be dropped or the training block as it was called.
His first 2 games back showed us what he is capable of but then his form was back to up and down again.
Then the knee injury that looked at the time season ending.
I hope he is not ready for the Port game so there are no selection issues.
If he is ready, it will be 4 weeks without playing.
I assume not much of a training block. Just getting the knee treated then a late test.

Assuming Fagan and the coaches believe he is still best 22 even with a possible reoccurring knee issue.
Be it next week or the following weeks I would much rather him as sub than having to sub him off if not performing.

Coaches over time have made gambles on players fitness during finals.
Some pay off a lot do not.

Ashcroft's injury is a real downer but apart from that we have our best side on he park. It's the best shape physically we've been in for any finals series in the Fagan era.
I agree. There is a real sense of things lining up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back