Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Qualifying Final 2023 v Port @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone interested in doing a preview for our first final please PM me.

Edit: thanks mpal6 ! If anyone else is still interested I'll also take expressions of interest for our second final, whoever and whenever that might be.

Last edited:
We have had some bad luck in the last 2 years final games with players injured early.
Hopefully things change this year.

QF v Tigers: Oscar 3% TOG Sub Ah Chee
SF v Demons: Sub Mathieson not used. Oscar still not available
PF v Cats: Rayner 42% TOG Sub Mathieson

QF v Demons: McStay 8% TOG Sub Mathieson
SF v Dogs: Payne 28% then Berry 31% TOG Sub Lester. McStay still not available

We have had some bad luck in the last 2 years final games with players injured early.
Hopefully things change this year.

QF v Tigers: Oscar 3% TOG Sub Ah Chee
SF v Demons: Sub Mathieson not used. Oscar still not available
PF v Cats: Rayner 42% TOG Sub Mathieson

QF v Demons: McStay 8% TOG Sub Mathieson
SF v Dogs: Payne 28% then Berry 31% TOG Sub Lester. McStay still not available
We need to be clear on the Payne one however... that was not luck... that was caused by McCarthy flying for a mark that was never his.

Thank goodness we have finally learnt from this and have seen a lot less of multiple players flying for the same mark this season. Murray Davis influence :clapping:

You got me guys.

Quick question, did you have the game set to:
Gunston plays the Under 11’s?
My son plays that one and it is amazing how often Gunston is caught in run down tackles.

#GunstonCompulsiveDisorder

The last time you mentioned the under 11’s this board tore you apart. Do you really want to go down that path again?

I just played a game of AFL 23 and Gunston kicked 11 goals.

How do you refute this 3KZ is Football
#ItsScientific

I was playing a game of Test Match and the player I dubbed David Warner made consecutive double centuries. There is no way the ACB doesn’t offer him a 3 year deal on that form.

1693622229287.jpeg

The last time you mentioned the under 11’s this board tore you apart. Do you really want to go down that path again?
Bring it. My son plays the AFL game on his PlayStation and he keeps wanting to play me, but I am all thumbs with that sort of thing and I figure you have to devote more hours than I’ve got to get good at it.
You must be able to play against the machine, because sometimes he will be playing Collingwood and we will be 57 goals and Collingwood will be 2 points. I think he finds it comforting.

BRAB like in the avengers film I need you to play afl23 as much as humanly possible between now and grand final weekend to understand all of our pathways to premiership glory.

My guess is there is only one. With gunners.

I agree, he is “regarded” as invaluable by Nunez and Fagan, but he really isn’t. This is evident when we look at how the forward line functions without him. Additionally, most of this group have played finals for the last four, soon to be five years. There is plenty of big game experience in the lineup, so the idea that Gunston’s presence would somehow serve the team well from a team leadership perspective is diminished.

I really do believe that Gunston can’t be selected, coming off an injury lay-off and having been in indifferent form for most, if not all of the year. If we are to win the Premiership this year, there is no room for sentimentality and we can’t afford to self-sabotage at the selection table.
It's an interesting argument, and I know Jivlain will compare the experience of both teams next week. But in the meantime I thought it might be worth comparing our current team to the 2001 team that played in the Qualifying Final against Port Adelaide, with regards to finals experience:

Criteria2001 Qualifying Final team2022 Elimination Final team2023 Qualifying Final team*
Finals played1069
Finals wins513
Preliminary Finals212
Played top 4 team646
Played Preliminary Finalist767
Played Grand Finalist567
Played eventual Premier334
Average Finals per player5.9 (130 across 22 players)5.3 (121 across 23 players)7.1 (171 across 24* players)
Players to play in all Finals5 - Marcus Ashcroft, Shaun Hart, Nigel Lappin, Justin Leppitsch, Darryl White10 - Harris Andrews, Zac Bailey, Jarrod Berry, Charlie Cameron, Daniel Rich, Linc McCarthy, Hugh McCluggage, Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Dayne Zorko8 - Harris Andrews, Zac Bailey, Jarrod Berry, Charlie Cameron, Linc McCarthy*, Hugh McCluggage, Lachie Neale, Dayne Zorko
Most experienced Finals players14 - Martin Pike, next 5 players on 10 as above13 - Charlie Cameron, Lachie Neale
10 - Mitch Robinson
9 - Linc McCarthy
8 - Daniel Rich
16 - Charlie Cameron, Lachie Neale
12 - Linc McCarthy
11 - Josh Dunkley
9 - Jarryd Lyons* (3 with Adelaide)
Players making AFL Finals debut2 - Robbie Copeland, Mal Michael1 - Darcy Wilmot2 - Jaspa Fletcher, Kai Lohmann*
Players with AFL Grand Final experience1 - Martin Pike1 - Lachie Neale2 - Josh Dunkley & Lachie Neale
Players with AFL Premiership experience1 - Martin Pike0
1 - Josh Dunkley​

*I've included all of Lohmann, Lyons and McCarthy in this, so 24 players for now.

The comparison is now very close. The core of the 2001 group had played in one more final, spread out over 5 finals series (1995, 1996, 1997, 1999 and 2000) over a 6 year period, compared to our current group who has played 9 over a 4 year period. But the fact our current group has been more consistent means more of them have played in every final. It also means that on average, they are all more experienced in finals than the 2001 team.

The other thing that stands out is the win-loss record of both teams, which can be at least partly attributed to sheer density of quality teams the current group has played. I put this down mainly to the change to the finals system between the late 90s and now. In the late 90s, the top 4 teams played 5-8 teams in the Qualifying Finals, and then if they won that, as our team did in 1996 and 1999, they earned another home final, against a team who had lost the previous week. Under the current system, the top 4 teams play each other in the first week of finals.

Both our 1996 and 1999 teams finished 3rd, while North Melbourne finished 2nd. It would be an interesting revisioning of history to see how those teams would have rebounded after playing in a Qualifying Final against North, rather than a Preliminary Final, if under the current system.

Last edited:
It's an interesting argument, and I know Jivlain will compare the experience of both teams next week. But in the meantime I thought it might be worth comparing our current team to the 2001 team that played in the Qualifying Final against Port Adelaide, with regards to finals experience:

Criteria2001 Qualifying Final team2022 Elimination Final team2023 Qualifying Final team*
Finals played1069
Finals wins513
Preliminary Finals212
Played top 4 team646
Played Grand Finalist567
Average Finals per player5.9 (130 across 22 players)5.3 (121 across 23 players)7.1 (171 across 24 players)
Players to play in all Finals5 - Marcus Ashcroft, Shaun Hart, Nigel Lappin, Justin Leppitsch, Darryl White10 - Harris Andrews, Zac Bailey, Jarrod Berry, Charlie Cameron, Daniel Rich, Linc McCarthy, Hugh McCluggage, Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Dayne Zorko8 - Harris Andrews, Zac Bailey, Jarrod Berry, Charlie Cameron, Linc McCarthy*, Hugh McCluggage, Lachie Neale, Dayne Zorko
Most experienced Finals players14 - Martin Pike, next 5 players on 10 as above13 - Charlie Cameron, Lachie Neale
10 - Mitch Robinson
9 - Linc McCarthy
8 - Daniel Rich
12 - Linc McCarthy
11 - Josh Dunkley
Players making AFL Finals debut2 - Robbie Copeland, Mal Michael1 - Darcy Wilmot2 - Jaspa Fletcher, Kai Lohmann*
Players with AFL Grand Final experience1 - Martin Pike1 - Lachie Neale2 - Josh Dunkley & Lachie Neale
1 - Josh Dunkley​

*I've included all of Lohmann, Lyons and McCarthy in this, so 24 players for now.

The comparison is now very close. The core of the 2001 group had played in one more final, spread out over 5 finals series (1995, 1996, 1997, 1999 and 2000) over a 6 year period, compared to our current group who has played 9 over a 4 year period. But the fact our current group has been more consistent means more of them have played in every final. It also means that on average, they are all more experienced in finals than the 2001 team.

The other thing that stands out is the win-loss record of both teams, which can be at least partly attributed to sheer density of quality teams the current group has played. I put this down mainly to the change to the finals system between the late 90s and now. In the late 90s, the top 4 teams played 5-8 teams in the Qualifying Finals, and then if they won that, as our team did in 1996 and 1999, they earned another home final, against a team who had lost the previous week. Under the current system, the top 4 teams play each other in the first week of finals.

Both our 1996 and 1999 teams finished 3rd, while North Melbourne finished 2nd. It would be an interesting revisioning of history to see how those teams would have rebounded after playing in a Qualifying Final against North, rather than a Preliminary Final, if under the current system.
Great work! Thanks for putting that effort in. We would have been better in 1999 too if that ANIMAL Mick Martyn hadn’t whacked Simon Black. Total dog act from a bloke whose karmic punishment is that he has to carry that head of his on his shoulders for the rest of his days.

This is an outstanding interview. The Mick Martyn “assault” discussion starts at 18.20 elapsed.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finals played1069
Finals wins513
Preliminary Finals212
Played top 4 team646
Played Grand Finalist567
Average Finals per player5.9 (130 across 22 players)5.3 (121 across 23 players)7.1 (171 across 24* players)
10 - Mitch Robinson
9 - Linc McCarthy
8 - Daniel Rich
12 - Linc McCarthy
11 - Josh Dunkley
1 - Josh Dunkley​

I love it when a member of our community takes the time and puts in the effort to write a substantial, researched and relevant contribution. It really helps to develop a conversation we can all join in and to elevate the quality of our board.

Last edited:

Finals played1069
Finals wins513
Preliminary Finals212
Played top 4 team646
Played Grand Finalist567
10 - Mitch Robinson
9 - Linc McCarthy
8 - Daniel Rich
12 - Linc McCarthy
11 - Josh Dunkley
1 - Josh Dunkley​

This is awesome, thank you

Great work! Thanks for putting that effort in. We would have been better in 1999 too if that ANIMAL Mick Martyn hadn’t whacked Simon Black. Total dog act from a bloke whose karmic punishment is that he has to carry that head of his on his shoulders for the rest of his days.

This is an outstanding interview. The Mick Martyn “assault” discussion starts at 18.20 elapsed.

Two other things I got out of this... "Reflection transforms experience into knowledge"

And the importance of parents or coaches instilling into their kids as early as possible, the importance of being able to kick on the non-preferred. Arguably the pivotal goal of the 2001 Grand Final was set up by Simon Black's right foot. Yet even now so many players (including many on our team) treat their wrong foot like an annoying inconvenience.

Finals played1069
Finals wins513
Preliminary Finals212
Played top 4 team646
Played Grand Finalist567
10 - Mitch Robinson
9 - Linc McCarthy
8 - Daniel Rich
12 - Linc McCarthy
11 - Josh Dunkley
1 - Josh Dunkley​

Thank you for taking the time for a very in depth and knowledgeable post. Really appreciate the info and effort gone into this. 👍

Two other things I got out of this... "Reflection transforms experience into knowledge"

And the importance of parents or coaches instilling into their kids as early as possible, the importance of being able to kick on the non-preferred. Arguably the pivotal goal of the 2001 Grand Final was set up by Simon Black's right foot. Yet even now so many players (including many on our team) treat their wrong foot like an annoying inconvenience.
I love it when my son kicks on his non-preferred in general play. When you see kids do it instinctively it is a real sign of their development. What a couple of mine do is kick the banana on the right rather than using the left. There’s a clip on YouTube, Bernie Quinlan 20 great goals and there are so many that are snaps on his non-preferred foot.

#ItsScientific

I was playing a game of Test Match and the player I dubbed David Warner made consecutive double centuries. There is no way the ACB doesn’t offer him a 3 year deal on that form.

1693622229287-jpeg.1792269
I played Test Match the board game for countless hours in my youth, my brother and I took is so seriously.

I played Test Match the board game for countless hours in my youth, my brother and I took is so seriously.
So you should! It’s a serious game!
I love old ‘analogue’ games.

I always desperately wanted a copy... Never played it in the end. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back