Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Qualifying Final 2023 v Port @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone interested in doing a preview for our first final please PM me.

Edit: thanks mpal6 ! If anyone else is still interested I'll also take expressions of interest for our second final, whoever and whenever that might be.

Last edited:
Hippy played pretty well in the finals series last season, if he goes to another level on top of that look out he could tear the finals series apart.
Hipwood has been pretty much great all year. He has kicked some big goals and shone in some clutch moments. I also notice that Eric has mastered the straight shot for goal from a range of 40 - 50 metres on the wrong side for a left footer. It is easy to forget that Hipwood is only 25 years old. I can see him becoming one of the greats of our club. He is also super quick on the burst, which is a great weapon

Hipwood, Daniher and Cameron have also got an affinity with each others games and they genuinely appear to enjoy each other’s successes.

Last edited:
brisbane.jpg

State league affiliate: Brisbane (VFL)
This weekend: Gold Coast v Brisbane at Heritage Bank Stadium, Saturday September 2, 6.05pm AEST
MATCH CENTRE Check out all the stats from Brisbane's clash
Jarryd Lyons
did all he could on return to Brisbane's line-up but it wasn't enough as the Lions fell to QClash rival Gold Coast in their qualifying final.
Lyons gathered 31 disposals and had 11 clearances in an excellent solo performance as he put his hand up for a recall to the senior side ahead of next weekend's AFL qualifying final against Port Adelaide.
Youngsters Kai Lohmann (two goals and 14 disposals) and Blake Coleman (two, 13) were also lively as tall Tom Fullartonadded a major from 14 touches.
Nakia Cockatoo also added his name to the scoresheet.
Harry Sharp was the side's second-leading possession winner with 20, with Jaxon Prior (19), James Tunstill (17) and Rhys Mathieson (15) getting in on the action.
Ruckman Darcy Fort had 24 hitouts and 15 disposals, while Darcy Gardiner was quiet with seven touches.

Hipwood has been pretty much great all year. He has kicked some big goals and shone in some clutch moments. I also notice that Eric has mastered the straight shot for goal from a range of 40 - 50 metres on the wrong side for a left footer. It is easy to forget that Hipwood is only 25 years old. I can see him becoming one of the greats of our club. He is also super quick on the burst, which is a great weapon

Hipwood, Daniher and Cameron have also got an affinity with each others games and they genuinely appear to enjoy each other’s successes.
I'm all on board with that.

But when people start talking about dynasties and what's going to happen over the next 5 years I break out in hives. I remember David Parkin saying that in his second year at the Lions and that was the end of us.

For us this it it. All we have and can rely on is what happens over the next 4 weeks.

So let's do it.

I'm all on board with that.

But when people start talking about dynasties and what's going to happen over the next 5 years I break out in hives. I remember David Parkin saying that in his second year at the Lions and that was the end of us.

For us this it it. All we have and can rely on is what happens over the next 4 weeks.

So let's do it.

Couldn’t agree more. We devote 100% to the Port game and then we devote 100% to the Preliminary Final and then let’s see if we can’t kill the curse of the MCG in the final game of the year. We really need to be taking it “one day at a time”.

Talk of dynasties and multiple flags is HUBRIS.

Last edited:
brisbane.jpg

State league affiliate: Brisbane (VFL)
This weekend: Gold Coast v Brisbane at Heritage Bank Stadium, Saturday September 2, 6.05pm AEST
MATCH CENTRE Check out all the stats from Brisbane's clash
Jarryd Lyons
did all he could on return to Brisbane's line-up but it wasn't enough as the Lions fell to QClash rival Gold Coast in their qualifying final.
Lyons gathered 31 disposals and had 11 clearances in an excellent solo performance as he put his hand up for a recall to the senior side ahead of next weekend's AFL qualifying final against Port Adelaide.
Youngsters Kai Lohmann (two goals and 14 disposals) and Blake Coleman (two, 13) were also lively as tall Tom Fullartonadded a major from 14 touches.
Nakia Cockatoo also added his name to the scoresheet.
Harry Sharp was the side's second-leading possession winner with 20, with Jaxon Prior (19), James Tunstill (17) and Rhys Mathieson (15) getting in on the action.
Ruckman Darcy Fort had 24 hitouts and 15 disposals, while Darcy Gardiner was quiet with seven touches.
100% chance whoever wrote that summary watched 0% of the game.

Two other things I got out of this... "Reflection transforms experience into knowledge"

And the importance of parents or coaches instilling into their kids as early as possible, the importance of being able to kick on the non-preferred. Arguably the pivotal goal of the 2001 Grand Final was set up by Simon Black's right foot. Yet even now so many players (including many on our team) treat their wrong foot like an annoying inconvenience.

Little snippet, but a great call!

Still irks me that for all the accolades our great team(s) from 20 years ago received, one thing that gets somewhat lost in the ether is that all of our gun midfield, and plenty of the rest of the team elsewhere, were more than comfortable swinging onto their opposite if needed.

For mine, Aka still gets criminally undersold for his ability on both sides (his Youtube highlights are breathtaking to this day), but plenty of the others were damn good also. You wouldn't see a player play out a half, whilst unable to kick on their preferred side, these days (Aka Rd 2, 2000).

I believe it is one thing Fagan did bring to the table early on (so the current team at least had some confidence if they were forced onto their opposite side), but it's something that sadly, IMO, has dropped off across the AFL over the years.

Little snippet, but a great call!

Still irks me that for all the accolades our great team(s) from 20 years ago received, one thing that gets somewhat lost in the ether is that all of our gun midfield, and plenty of the rest of the team elsewhere, were more than comfortable swinging onto their opposite if needed.

For mine, Aka still gets criminally undersold for his ability on both sides (his Youtube highlights are breathtaking to this day), but plenty of the others were damn good also. You wouldn't see a player play out a half, whilst unable to kick on their preferred side, these days (Aka Rd 2, 2000).

I believe it is one thing Fagan did bring to the table early on (so the current team at least had some confidence if they were forced onto their opposite side), but it's something that sadly, IMO, has dropped off across the AFL over the years.
Sometimes Berry and Robertson struggle to kick it any old how. It is something that all players need to continue to work on.

100% chance whoever wrote that summary watched 0% of the game.
I take it you did Mr Ripper, so where did the summary get it wrong? We have to presume the numbers are correct.

[in bane’s voice]

When king gunners is lifting up the Norm Smith Medal, then you have my permission to die.

3KZ: what happens if we drop Gunston?
Elixuh: it would be extremely painful
3KZ: he's a big guy
Elixuh: for you.

[in bane’s voice]

When king gunners is lifting up the Norm Smith Medal…
and handing it back to Lester, who had dropped it, you have my permission to say, “that was nice of Gunston.”

and handing it back to Lester, who had dropped it, you have my permission to say, “that was nice of Gunston.”

You think Lester is your ally, but you merely adopted him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think Lester is your ally, but you merely adopted him.
I discovered him. The perennial whipping boy, languishing in the two’s while lesser players were selected for the Seniors. Years of advocacy on our board and a concerted campaign of emails to Fages petitioning for his return have paid off.
In Lester We Trust.

This is getting beyond a joke now. Why is there such a focus by Melb based AFL media on getting Gunston back into the team? He won't be match fit, this week, nor in a fortnights time. Two key FWD's (Hippy + Joe) and Rayner as the third is working well. There is no need, or requirement, for pedestrian has been hawthorn hacks.

1693787509004.png

Last edited:
This is getting beyond a joke now. Why is there such a focus by Melb based AFL media on getting Gunston back into the team? He won't be match fit, this week, nor in a fortnights time. Two key FWD's (Hippy amd Joe) and Rayner as the third is working well. There is no need, or requirement, for pedestrian has been hawthorn hacks.

View attachment 1793538

They have read this thread and realize it's a controversial decision, which makes it a premium click bait topic.

I refuse to read it -your comments were enough.

This is getting beyond a joke now. Why is there such a focus by Melb based AFL media on getting Gunston back into the team? He won't be match fit, this week, nor in a fortnights time. Two key FWD's (Hippy + Joe) and Rayner as the third is working well. There is no need, or requirement, for pedestrian has been hawthorn hacks.

View attachment 1793538
I'm a bit confused - didn't thnk Jack had kicked that many goals and certainly not more than Charlie ...

Looked online and found this at (Brisbane Playing List for 2023 - Draftguru) sorting by Goals 2023 and how does 22 turn into 35 and why does 53 get dropped to 34 ...

1693790163020.png

View attachment 1793538
They are trying to talk Fages into it.

Just to put Jack Gunston’s year into perspective. He has kicked 22 goals in his first year at the Lions. He is almost on a par with Jeff Hogg, who kicked 23 goals in 1994, his first year at Fitzroy.

Last edited:
35 goals in finals throughout his time in the AFL
Ah right so completely and utterly irrelevant to our games this year then ... got it! :cool:

I presume they adjusted for comparative output (eg if he normally kicked 88 in previous years and kicked 22 this year then his average goals per final would also be divided by four?)

I continue to have a recurring dream, or nightmare really.

I can’t add to much context to it, because I don’t know myself, other than to say that we are playing Carlton in a Final, it is being played somewhere other than the Gabba and they are thrashing us.

Then I wake up every time. I don’t get to see the outcome of the game but I generally can’t get back to sleep afterwards. Thinking how s**t we were.😢
Yuk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back