Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Qualifying Final 2023 v Port @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone interested in doing a preview for our first final please PM me.

Edit: thanks mpal6 ! If anyone else is still interested I'll also take expressions of interest for our second final, whoever and whenever that might be.

Last edited:
Could say the same for 3KZ and Lyons!😂
Totally! Lyons is the last piece of the jigsaw to fall into place. According to the AFL website he had a fantastic game in the Ressies - ball magnet, 11 clearances etc etc. Based on what people have said about his fitness, he should be sub this week, but he is building.

The Over 50’s Clique have an outstanding record of OFFICIALLY ENDORSING PLAYERS. Our endorsed players are Lester, AhChee, Robertson and Lyons. Each of these players has been dropped this season, but since we have endorsed them, they are now LOCKS for senior selection, with the exception of Lyons. It is taking Lyons a little longer, but he will get there.

Totally! Lyons is the last piece of the jigsaw to fall into place. According to the AFL website he had a fantastic game in the Ressies - ball magnet, 11 clearances etc etc. Based on what people have said about his fitness, he should be sub this week, but he is building.

The Over 50’s Clique have an outstanding record of OFFICIALLY ENDORSING PLAYERS. Our endorsed players are Lester, AhChee, Robertson and Lyons. Each of these players has been dropped this season, but since we have endorsed them, they are now LOCKS for senior selection, with the exception of Lyons. It is taking Lyons a little longer, but he will get there.
I reckon Fages will pull the pin and have Fort as sub.
Would hate to go into a final without a genuine back up for Oscar.
Other than that it will be Linc in for Lyons

Absolutely ridiculous calling Gunston a big finals performer

He hasn't won a final in 8 years
The Victorian media is just trolling us. They know it will be tough for Fagan to leave Gunston out, so they are trying to make a story out of it.

In 2001, prior to the Grand Final, all the media chatter was about Michael Long. Will he be fit? Can he make it? Will Sheedy select him? At the time I thought it was a major distraction and unhelpful to the Essendon cause. I think the Gunston angle is less serious and people will just see it for what it is, Trolling.

The Victorian media is just trolling us. They know it will be tough for Fagan to leave Gunston out, so they are trying to make a story out of it.

In 2001, prior to the Grand Final, all the media chatter was about Michael Long. Will he be fit? Can he make it? Will Sheedy select him? At the time I thought it was a major distraction and unhelpful to the Essendon cause. I think the Gunston angle is less serious and people will just see it for what it is, Trolling.
Speaking of distractions, I wonder if we can find a photo Zac Butters snorting a white powdery substance to bring out before this final?

Last edited:
It takes
teams multiple finals series to mature and be able to play with confidence in each other.

Essential for winning.

Genuinely wondering how much confidence lions forwards, who have played together for years, have in gunston.

If they have confidence to back him and not to try to cover him (which we have seen), then he's an asset.

If they do not have confidence the forward structure will fall apart. Might only be momentary hesitations but that's enough to cost a final.

The guy has played less than a handful of games where the structure with him worked.

Massive risk. Especially when it works so well without him.

100% chance whoever wrote that summary watched 0% of the game.
Yep, the half I watched Lyons was very underwhelming, a lot more to a game than stats, much prefer the eye test.

That "reporter" dead set would have just looked at the raw stats and said oh Lyons must have been elite.:rolleyes:

Yeah we are in a great position to win a flag this year but I still think we can compete next year and beyond. Longer term we have some great young players developing already which could lead to a sustained run of making finals for many years to come. Rayner, Bailey, Starcevich, Payne, Coleman, Wilmot, WAshcroft, Fletcher, Levi end of next year.

Would be great if Henry Smith developed into a handy ruckman. I’d feel a lot more confident longer term outlook if we had a developing key forward who looked the goods. Bit of a shame Jacob Van Rooyen was selected with the pick before we drafted Kai Lohmann. We need to try and find one in the next couple drafts otherwise we may end up in a position where we need to trade for one to stay in top 4 contention.
Hippy is still young, though I don't think he is going to be at Joe Daniher level when he hits his prime. We have a really good lost of solid younger talent, 25 and under. There's no reason why we won't or can't trade in some talent to bolster that either, much like we have done over the past few years.

I don't think AFL.com.au are making content decisions based on whether it will get clicks from the max 300 people that regularly browse this forum.

We need too agree on an emoji to represent sarcasm. I clearly realize that we are not the center of the footy universe, even though it's where we think we belong.

Does this one work?
🙄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Fages will pull the pin and have Fort as sub.
Would hate to go into a final without a genuine back up for Oscar.
Other than that it will be Linc in for Lyons
Did you happen to watch Saturday's VFL game? Fortie didn't do himself any favours with his game.

Disagree. Thought he was our best
Well, the stats show a different story and their review of the game was not very complementary. The Suns ruckman had 48 hitouts while Forty had 24.

Overall I thought the team also played like s**t. They never looked composed and never looked threatening...a hard game to watch live.

Well, the stats show a different story and their review of the game was not very complementary. The Suns ruckman had 48 hitouts while Forty had 24.

Overall I thought the team also played like s**t. They never looked composed and never looked threatening...a hard game to watch live.

Moyle rucked 90% of the game while we rotated 4 rucks

When they were opposed I thought Fort was rucking far better and contributing around the ground

Sometimes Berry and Robertson struggle to kick it any old how. It is something that all players need to continue to work on.

Berry and Robertson are still at completely different levels. Berry is a pretty decent kick but he always takes quite difficult kicks or is kicking when there’s nothing on. Can kick on both feet if needed as well. Robertson is just not a good kick in basically any situation.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Did you happen to watch Saturday's VFL game? Fortie didn't do himself any favours with his game.
He is contracted for another couple of years so obviously the club rate him to some extent.
And one down performance should not stop him from being in consideration for the Seniors if it will help the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back