Unofficial Preview Changes/discussion Round 16 v Crows in Adelaide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
In line for inclusion?

You would think Grant Birchall will come straight back in as he was out last night due to illness(Fages presser he said he was just feeling off).
Jarrod Berry, I'd say no, will be given a minimum of 2 weeks in the reserves to find touch and game day fitness, apparently playing reserves this weekend.
Tom Berry, maybe for Keidean or Jaxon but probably not IMO.

What I think will happen > In- Grant Birchall. Out- Jaxon Prior. Or no changes if Birch is still crook.

What I would do > In- Tom Berry. Out- Jaxon Prior.

This should be a relatively easy win, the Crows will lift at home but we will be professional enough to eek out a 6+ goal win IMO.

As a lot have commented in the Cats game review thread I also loved the mix we had in our back 6-7 last night and I for the life of me don't know who would come out for the obvious 3 that have been staples of our back half of the ground team for 18 months ie. Birchall, Lester and Gardiner.

For me Gardiner is a 100% lock to come back in when fit, for Ah Chee in the 7 man rotation would be the route I would take, Ah Chee could stay in the side in a wing/fwd role and leave someone else out from further up the ground.. Coleman/Prior?

Lester back well before Gardiner so Ryan could also come in under the same formula.

I think we should bite the bullet and move past Birchall now.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’d go unchanged but wouldn’t be surprised if Birchall came back in for Ah Chee or Madden.

Longer term Berry comes in for Prior and Gardiner for Adams. Next year Rayner for Coleman. But for now we’re pretty close to best 22

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I’d go unchanged but wouldn’t be surprised if Birchall came back in for Ah Chee or Madden.

Longer term Berry comes in for Prior and Gardiner for Adams. Next year Rayner for Coleman. But for now we’re pretty close to best 22
Who plays on Tomahawk in the finals if Adams is out, Payne?

No way I'd be dropping Madden for Birchall, I watched Madden pretty closely last night and his closing speed to a contest is lightning, saved a couple of potential goals with it, his disposal is quite cool and handy as well. When he gets more confidence we'll see that speed used to even greater affect, can't wait to see him using it offensively with ball in hand/overlap run.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Birchall will come back in for Ah Chee. Ah Chee to medical sub.
Berry in for Prior when Berry is available, assuming he will need two VFL games.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

No way I'd be dropping Madden for Birchall, I watched Madden pretty closely last night and his closing speed to a contest is lightning, saved a couple of potential goals with it, his disposal is quite cool and handy as well. When he gets more confidence we'll see that speed used to even greater affect, can't wait to see him using it offensively with ball in hand/overlap run.

Birchall article quoted his manager saying that at this point time Birchall is 50:50 for next year. Given we have three current best 22 defenders out and we could still field a very strong back group, I doubt they'll keep him on.
[/QUOTE]

Why? we don't need him, even this year, although he and Lester are two of Fages favourites, so at least one of them will be back in. How much better did the backline look with two slow players out (Birch and Lester). Give Birch a few games in the VFL and get some more games into Madden for at least next year.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Agree. Been saying for a few weeks get games into Madden, even with next year in mind. Once he gains some experience and confidence to take the game on his speed will be an asset from back half. Birch can do at least a few weeks in ressies. Geez I hope Fages has an honest conversation with him and informs him we don't need his services for next year, and to retire.

Went to the game last night with my sister and her husband and was impressed with how the team hunted as a pack, loved the game of Dev Robertson he is so hard edged and is going to be exactly what we need going forward. Bailey just continues to cause havoc with his willingness to take the game on and his speed.

For a late inclusion, after only playing a ressie game in the last 11 or 12 weeks was impressed with the versatility of young Payne and his defensive running. He was mostly marking Dangerfield & Ratugolea, but also at various stages Higgins, Rohan and Dahihaus. Adams obviously playing for his career and now getting some consistency and he played very well last night. He and Payne can absolutely play together which they did in round 3 against Collingwood.

Play the GF at the GABBA...and we are unbeatable

ForzaRoma

Team Captain
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Birchall article quoted his manager saying that at this point time Birchall is 50:50 for next year. Given we have three current best 22 defenders out and we could still field a very strong back group, I doubt they'll keep him on.

I would love to keep birchall as a rookie and use him as an additional coach for game day. Judging from last night's game, it's obvious that we don't need him on field anymore, but off-field, i would love for him to still be around.

Also, no way we should take madden out. As far as i'm concerned, he's in our best 22 and is ahead of both Birchall and Lester.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
If Birch needs to come back in I can see a Coleman out Ah Chee forward and Birchall in but that’d be the only change I’d make at this stage

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
we really need the 3 talls
Our best 22 is Andrews/Gardiner and one of Adams/Payne or Lester.
Lester and Gardiner out so we should play Adams/Payne until he is ready.
Then make the call on what we do with Adams and Payne
Even though I think Lester had a great year for us last year. Adams and Payne add more as a tall defender.
Adams finding some good form and did a great job on Hawkins again.

next 4
For me Rich/Starc are total locks
Which leaves Madden and Ah Chee/Prior.
Madden I think we need for his close down speed. So I hope we get more games into him
if you bring Birchall in then you either moving Ah Chee up the ground and Kiddy out
or you drop Prior.
I think the young kids Prior, Dev, Madden and Coleman been adding a lot of energy.

Then what do you do when J Berry ready I do not want Dev dropped. Prior been good as well. Kiddy seemed more at ease last night.
I think people underestimate what Ah Chee does.. Same as they do with Linc until recently

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Only changed I'd consider is TBerry for Coleman.

Should not happen. Coleman did some good things last night and was available to be used more than he was and generally offers a wider range of benefits than Tom at the moment. His skills when he got it were very good and he made really nice decisions. We want more of that and giving him game time is the way to build that.

Anyway weren't you saying that no-one who played today deserved selection next week?

Nuggo

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2009
Mornington
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No one deserves to be dropped. But Birchall would have played so you would have to think he comes back in. Who goes out🤷‍♂️

J Berry for me will need to show a fair bit before he comes in and replaces Prior. May happen closer to end of the year.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We were fantastic yesterday and I reward that and go in with the same team next week.

Berry by the sound of it could use an extra week and our defense in the reserves could really benefit having Birchall in there to teach them.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Should not happen. Coleman did some good things last night and was available to be used more than he was and generally offers a wider range of benefits than Tom at the moment. His skills when he got it were very good and he made really nice decisions. We want more of that and giving him game time is the way to build that.

Anyway weren't you saying that no-one who played today deserved selection next week?

Maybe. Definitely thought it in the second half.

Coleman’s skills are way overrated (probably because he’s a leftie) the issue is he can’t win contested footy. TBerry can plus it looks like he’s tidied up his skills a bit. Probably has more flexibility too because he can actually win contested footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back