Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Round 18 v Carlton @ Gabba (home of the Grand Final).

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd hope not. Would be an absolute farce.

Very quiet maybe seen two articles which makes me think it's unlikely.

AFL would hate a Brownlow in Brisbane for the bloke who won to not beable collect the medal.

Very quiet maybe seen two articles which makes me think it's unlikely.

AFL would hate a Brownlow in Brisbane for the bloke who to not beable collect the medal.

Not to mention losing his Brownlow because of something like that - it's barely worth a fine let alone a suspension. Compare it to other tackles or head high bumps which have avoided suspension and it's very clearly a non issue.

Would love to see Hinge keep his place or Corey Lyons get a game, but it's unlikely. Even if Berry doesn't come back, they'll probably keep CEY and need to drop someone for Linc. While Ah Chee was probably less of a net benefit to the team yesterday, the coaching staff like him too much to drop him over Hinge. It'd be a travesty if they dropped Coleman, so I reckon he keeps his place.

Would prefer Birchall out for Starcevich but that won't happen either. Fagan likes his experienced players.

I'm not sold on playing Birchall just because of experience in finals.

His form has been mediocre and he doesn't strike me as having Hodge's presence or leadership qualities.

I'm bringing in Starc for Birchall and Linc for Ah Chee.

Don't take the risk on rushing Berry back.

X-factor can be as important as "experience" in Finals so I'm keeping Coleman in the side and for the Finals.

He's barely put a foot wrong and has done some exceptional things in his two matches

I'm not sold on playing Birchall just because of experience in finals.

His form has been mediocre and he doesn't strike me as having Hodge's presence or leadership qualities.

I'm bringing in Starc for Birchall and Linc for Ah Chee.

Don't take the risk on rushing Berry back.

X-factor can be as important as "experience" in Finals so I'm keeping Coleman in the side and for the Finals.

He's barely put a foot wrong and has done some exceptional things in his two matches
Agreed, I'm not sold on Birchall at all. Whilst he does hit targets, all he does is chip kicks around the ground. The rest of his game could get badly exposed against a side like Richmond.

Betting agencies haven't suspended the brownlow markets, normally a good sign that there is nothing to worry about.

Yep I can't see how you can get a week for that.

What do you guys think, does he win as comfortable as the odds suggest?

Going to be interesting to see how we handle Cripps this week

Even with the bye week; I'd be resting a few. It's been a tough couple months and we can't really move from 2nd either way.

Hipwood, McCluggage, McInerney and Cameron fall into the VIP section for mine and I'd be happy to play a few kids last round.
PROBABLY A FEW BLUES GOING FOR SURGERY THIS WEEK TO GET THE BEST POSSIBLE DRAFT PICK...BOMBERS CAN STILL RISE ABOVE THEM. THINK CRIPPS DESPITE HIS GOTY CAN HARDLY MOVE.....SURPRISED IF HE TURNS UP.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions 2nd (1st or 2nd guaranteed) v Carlton 12th who can't make the 8 and can't even look forward to Mad Monday because the AFL cancelled that.

The Blues have lost the last fixture round for the previous 5 years by an average of 67 points.
In 2014 they managed a draw so it is way back to 2013 that they had a win in the final fixture round.
Round 23 2019 - lost by 68 points
Round 23 2018 - lost by 104 points
Round 23 2017 - lost by 81 points
Round 23 2016 - Lost by 24 points
Round 23 2015 - Lost by 57 Points

Last year we had Richmond in round 23 and Fagan wanted to test our best 22 before meeting them in the first final.
What will the coach and selection committee's thought process be for this game

If Martin is ready to play he has to have a run around with restricted TOG and see how he pulls up.

Players i wouldn't mind being managed but unlikely to happen.
Zorko- just give his injury some recovery time before finals
McInerney- Our only good fit ruck. If he went down i don't want to think about it
Neale - With Brownlow on the line unlikely.

Out: Zorko, McInerney, & Neale
In..: McCarthy, Martin, Starcevich

Lions 2nd (1st or 2nd guaranteed) v Carlton 12th who can't make the 8 and can't even look forward to Mad Monday because the AFL cancelled that.

The Blues have lost the last fixture round for the previous 5 years by an average of 67 points.
In 2014 they managed a draw so it is way back to 2013 that they had a win in the final fixture round.
Round 23 2019 - lost by 68 points
Round 23 2018 - lost by 104 points
Round 23 2017 - lost by 81 points
Round 23 2016 - Lost by 24 points
Round 23 2015 - Lost by 57 Points

Last year we had Richmond in round 23 and Fagan wanted to test our best 22 before meeting them in the first final.
What will the coach and selection committee's thought process be for this game

If Martin is ready to play he has to have a run around with restricted TOG and see how he pulls up.

Players i wouldn't mind being managed but unlikely to happen.
Zorko- just give his injury some recovery time before finals
McInerney- Our only good fit ruck. If he went down i don't want to think about it
Neale - With Brownlow on the line unlikely.

Out: Zorko, McInerney, & Neale
In..: McCarthy, Martin, Starcevich

We’re not resting lachie, especially not when he might need to poll to secure a Brownlow.

People are addicted to suggesting resting players but Wembley don’t do it apart from a couple of exceptions e.g. hodge last year and Birchall.

Good news from MRO for once

The incident between Lachie Neale and Nick Blakey from the third quarter of Sunday’s game between the Sydney Swans and the Brisbane Lions was assessed. Blakey has possession of the ball on the wing and is pursued by Neale and Dayne Zorko. Blakey attempts to kick the football as Zorko lays a lunging tackle, dislodging the football. Neale then simultaneously tackles Blakey to ground, who braces for contact using his right arm, causing impact to his shoulder. It was the view of the MRO that Neale’s actions did not constitute Rough Conduct. No further action was taken.

The incident between Lachie Neale and Nick Blakey from the third quarter of Sunday’s game between the Sydney Swans and the Brisbane Lions was assessed. Blakey has possession of the ball on the wing and is pursued by Neale and Dayne Zorko. Blakey attempts to kick the football as Zorko lays a lunging tackle, dislodging the football. Neale then simultaneously tackles Blakey to ground, who braces for contact using his right arm, causing impact to his shoulder. It was the view of the MRO that Neale’s actions did not constitute Rough Conduct. No further action was taken.

And rightly so

No mention of the throat hit on Zorko :think:

Yep I can't see how you can get a week for that.

What do you guys think, does he win as comfortable as the odds suggest?
Im not sold on him winning it. Too many of our mids will take votes away. I suspect Lyons might end up with 1 or 2 3 vote games. Same with Berry and McLuggage.

I think I would give Starc another week off just to be cautious.
Only change I would make would be McCarthy in for Hinge (and the resulting shuffle). I didn’t mind Hinge game but I just think McCarthy is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back