Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Round 18 v Tigers @ MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the "like for like" idea is wrong. The only similarity between Eric and Fullarton is they're both tall and skinny......that's it!

If we want a replacement forward we should look to Connor Mc fadyen. He's a strong lead, really good contested mark, good kick for goal, good when the balls on the ground. Fullarton is none of those things.
The thing that we need is a lead up forward who can find space and take a chest mark. Fullarton isn't that player.

I think the "like for like" idea is wrong. The only similarity between Eric and Fullarton is they're both tall and skinny......that's it!

If we want a replacement forward we should look to Connor Mc fadyen. He's a strong lead, really good contested mark, good kick for goal, good when the balls on the ground. Fullarton is none of those things.
The thing that we need is a lead up forward who can find space and take a chest mark. Fullarton isn't that player.
I think the idea would be for Daniher to take over Hippy’s role and for Fullarton to play the current Daniher role playing both forward and ruck.
This would be a bit more ‘like for like’.

Expecting Richmond to set themselves for this and also expecting Charlie and Joe to really respond big time. Midfield needs to be more accountable though, we really let them stream out of the middle on the weekend.
Hey there.
I was expecting Tigers to set themselves for St Kilda, Gold Coast and then for Collingwood - alas no......
Looks like we wont be getting anyone of our experienced guys back so good chance for Lions to bounce back IMO. :huh:

I've been pretty scathing of Archie Smith in the past but it sounds like he was one of the few players in the VFL last week to actually have a decent game. With that in mind I'd be in favour of bringing him in to play first ruck with Oscar moving forward to cover Hipwood. Seems like a better idea than Fullarton anyway, who isn't a big physical presence and hasn't been playing notably well.

Hey there.
I was expecting Tigers to set themselves for St Kilda, Gold Coast and then for Collingwood - alas no......
Looks like we wont be getting anyone of our experienced guys back so good chance for Lions to bounce back IMO. :huh:
You guys will belt us on Friday night.

There is no way you'll lose 5 in a row and our confidence is rocked now. I'm expecting us to finish about 6th now and there is no way in the brght lights of Friday night footy that we win. Bank on that.

I'm with SM on this; you can put a line through us now, although we arent a rabble of a club.

I can't belive we'll bring in Fullerton, softest player going around.

The Tigers will no doubt try to play their go to run and gun chaos footy, if they suddenly find their form again we could be in trouble... although we have beaten them while at their best the last 2 times we have met.

Our mids need to lift for this game, Clugga has been terribly out of form for a while now, was leading the afl coaches association votes not that long ago and is now tumbling down the rankings and probably also out of AA calculations, his usual elite disposal seems to have gone missing.
Have they been at their best tho? Last time they had their 2nd string midfield and the time before that they were missing Lynch weren't they?

There is no way you'll lose 5 in a row and our confidence is rocked now. I'm expecting us to finish about 6th now and there is no way in the brght lights of Friday night footy that we win. Bank on that.

I'm with SM on this; you can put a line through us now, although we arent a rabble of a club.

Looks like you're one of those posters that only show up after a loss.
Hard to take you seriously with statements like that.

I hope your right :p - it's funny, we have had significant success lately but it almost hurts more when you start to drop away again.

McFadyen has been extremely underwhelming in the VFL.

Typical AFL. Let Tiges fans buy their 38,000 tickets and leave the scraps for Lions fans tomorrow morning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fagan sounded like he’s been a bit crook but also a little fired up towards the journos today. Perhaps getting fed up with the questioning about losing player x = lions no good and the MCG history.

Fagan sounded like he’s been a bit crook but also a little fired up towards the journos today. Perhaps getting fed up with the questioning about losing player x = lions no good and the MCG history.
He was a bit cranky and short with his responses - he does get a bit cranky with the predictable questions sometimes.

I thought Fages was not much off his normal jovial self, of interest that he reiterated that it would be a tall coming in to play "Eric's role" and specifically said a 200cm+ player so IMO I can't see it being any one other than Archie or Tommy Fullarton (assuming Connor B has got a hamstring strain).

Options >

A-
Archie Smith, Daniher plays a Hippy type role and Archie takes Joe's spot as the 2nd ruck albeit with a lot more time in the ruck than Joe typically does which frees O up to play more forward.

B- Tom Fullarton, plays a part Eric role but spends time in the ruck leaving Joe to focus more on being a target down the line/in F50.

Close call but I'd probably give Archie 1 more crack to earn another contract.. on the proviso that he plays a fair bit of time in the ruck, I can't see the point if it something like Oscar 70% and Archie 30% in the ruck(I'd go Tommy if that is the split), he just doesn't offer enough around the ground in general play for that to work IMO.

This is going to be Archie Smith's coming off age (I know I've been pumping this angle from time to time, but please bear with me).

Archie comes in, takes the No.1 ruck role, taps it down our midfield like a pro and runs Nank ragged all over the ground, Big O stays deep and marks everything, we make out finals charge aaaaand.. I woke up.

Just make it happen Archie, your big chance is now.

This is going to be Archie Smith's coming off age (I know I've been pumping this angle from time to time, but please bear with me).

Archie comes in, takes the No.1 ruck role, taps it down our midfield like a pro and runs Nank ragged all over the ground, Big O stays deep and marks everything, we make out finals charge aaaaand.. I woke up.

Archie has had plenty of chances. He turns 26 this year, even though I keep thinking he is 23 and raw.

I can't imagine he'll be around for much longer.

I think the best option is Archie, but playing as first ruck, Big O playing the same role he played last year before Steph got injured (forward/ruck not ruck/forward) and Daniher playing the Hipwood role. Also like the lateral thinking of either McFadyen or Lester playing a third tall forward role. Don't really want to mess with Adams' return to form down back but he could also be an option as a third forward esp. once Gardiner returns.

I agree with you, If we go for Fullarton he'll get monstered in the ruck and not take many marks. If we bring in Archie, he can make a real contest in the ruck and let Oscar play deep full forward.

I agree with you, If we go for Fullarton he'll get monstered in the ruck and not take many marks. If we bring in Archie, he can make a real contest in the ruck and let Oscar play deep full forward.

If we were replacing Oscar with Archie, I'd agree. The fact is Archie is a good ruck who doesn't add much else. Fullarton is an average ruck who wins the ball at ground level and can kick goals.

Given we're replacing a forward, it seems like an easy decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back