Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Round 18 v Tigers @ MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we go with Archie.. He is #1 ruck.
Joe does Hipwoods role.
Big O does Joe's and 15-20% ruck.
Yes we loose Big O work around the ground.

Although if we go for Fullarton to play Joe's role
and Daniher does Hipwoods.
Not sure Fullarton can do the contested marks we need or bring it to ground consistently.
We end up having a tall who works better at ground level.

Why I think Big O forward a better play.

Anyone heard about Ballenden's hammy?

If we were replacing Oscar with Archie, I'd agree. The fact is Archie is a good ruck who doesn't add much else. Fullarton is an average ruck who wins the ball at ground level and can kick goals.

Given we're replacing a forward, it seems like an easy decision.
But we could replace Oscar with Archie. It would also involve replacing Hipwood with Joe, and replacing Joe with Oscar. Joe will be replacing Hipwood anyway even if we bring in Fullarton.

Bring in Fullarton to use his attributes. He is not a big marking forward, but a good tall midfielder. As long as he makes a contest in the ruck, then let him run and link up. Go mobile with short stints of Big O up forward, with him and Joe running around the ground.

But we could replace Oscar with Archie. It would also involve replacing Hipwood with Joe, and replacing Joe with Oscar. Joe will be replacing Hipwood anyway even if we bring in Fullarton.

I'd much rather Fullarton up forward 80% of a game than Oscar and I'd much rather Oscar in the ruck instead of Archie.

This is going to be Archie Smith's coming off age (I know I've been pumping this angle from time to time, but please bear with me).

Archie comes in, takes the No.1 ruck role, taps it down our midfield like a pro and runs Nank ragged all over the ground, Big O stays deep and marks everything, we make out finals charge aaaaand.. I woke up.

Just make it happen Archie, your big chance is now.
Only problem is - Fages hasn’t mentioned him once in either of the pressers since Eric’s injury.
Unless if that is a ploy to keep us all guessing.
Personally, I think Fullarton will get the nod.

Is he better for the team structurally?
I can't answer that question fully since I'm not on the coaching staff. As I see it, our team structure involves a main ruck, a tall forward/ruck and two other tall forwards, one of which pushes back to midfield regularly. Oscar has played the tall forward/ruck role for a few seasons before this one, so he knows it well. Joe can then remain forward more and McStay can play his usual role. That doesn't seem like a huge change to structure.

Why? What has Fullarton shown to suggest he's a better fit in our forward line than Oscar?

Oscar is a strong mark. When the ball hits the ground, he's out of the contest. Hipwood is a strong mark. When the ball hits the ground he is strong at the contest.

Oscar is a better mark than Fullarton, but Fullarton is much better at the ground level. Much more like for like and doesn't take our ruckman out of the position he's performing well in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is he better for the team structurally?

If we park Big O on goal square, he's a better chance of marking our hail mary dump kicks in F50 with a run and jump outstretched arm compared to Fullarton. Leaves Daniher to play Hipwood's lead n mark role. Archie playing main ruck gives better structure in my view, but yeah we are robbing Big O from center bounce for it.

If Archie fails to compete in main ruck, we can't hide him in the forward line. Tough one.

If we park Big O on goal square, he's a better chance of marking our hail mary dump kicks in F50 with a run and jump outstretched arm compared to Fullarton. Leaves Daniher to play Hipwood's lead n mark role. Archie playing main ruck gives better structure in my view, but yeah we are robbing Big O from center bounce for it.

If Archie fails to compete in main ruck, we can't hide him in the forward line. Tough one.
Oscar will still play 10% of game time forward so there will still be that opportunity for him in the goal square.
As he does now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back