Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Round 23 v Magpies @ Marvel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Win this one and IMO we finish 2nd as we should be certain victors in the last round v Saints at the Gabba fortress.

Out- Jack Gunston(inj), Jaxon Prior.

In- Keidean Coleman, Jaspa Fletcher.

Dev to play more time as a pure mid... they may prefer to bring Lohmann in for Gunston though and leave Jaspa out.

Sorry. I'm coming up for that one.

Andre The Giant No GIF

So out with the slow Gunston and in with the slower Lyons.
Different roles. I suggest Lyons will be a net positive based on his work at stoppages and restarts. His first hands on the ball and tackling ability will help to stop Collingwood walking it out of the middle.

Different roles. I suggest Lyons will be a net positive based on his work at stoppages and restarts. His first hands on the ball and tackling ability will help to stop Collingwood walking it out of the middle.
He can only tackle if the opponent is standing next to him when he receives the ball, if there is any space he is almost zero chance of catching and tackling.

I'd be giving Dev a decent crack at his preferred role, Dev is light years ahead of Lyons re defensive run and tackling, his gut running tonight was outstanding.

He can only tackle if the opponent is standing next to him when he receives the ball, if there is any space he is almost zero chance of catching and tackling.

I'd be giving Dev a decent crack at his preferred role, Dev is light years ahead of Lyons re defensive run and tackling, his gut running tonight was outstanding.
I agree about Dev, he was great tonight and as I said elsewhere, he is a LOCK for the rest of the year. I just think we are going to be stronger in the middle if we base our midfield rotations around Neale, Dunkley, Lyons and Robertson.

I agree about Dev, he was great tonight and as I said elsewhere, he is a LOCK for the rest of the year. I just think we are going to be stronger in the middle if we base our midfield rotations around Neale, Dunkley, Lyons and Robertson.
Fair enough, agree to disagree on this one 3KZ.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyons was pretty poor today in the reserves. Can still win at stoppages, but his kicking was pretty bad, and he can't run/contribute if the game is a back and forth run and turnover game.

In: Coleman and Lyons
Out: Gunston (injured) and Rayner.

If we're dropping Rayner on form, there's no way we can be bringing in JL on form the other way. That would be a real double standard. JL has been poor for a few weeks in the VFL, and was especially poor today.

In the case that extra midfield support was needed, I think it would be fair to say that both Tunstill and Matho are putting their hands up in that space with better form than JL has shown of late.

If we're dropping Rayner on form, there's no way we can be bringing in JL on form the other way. That would be a real double standard. JL has been poor for a few weeks in the VFL, and was especially poor today.

In the case that extra midfield support was needed, I think it would be fair to say that both Tunstill and Matho are putting their hands up in that space with better form than JL has shown of late.
I don't believe Matho has been much better than Lyons. Tunstill can run and does just about everything right, but his disposal is hit and miss. You can see he knows what to he wants to do (with a kick), it's whether he pulls it off or not.

Bringing Mathieson in would be a positive. Let’s do that.

I don’t think the team can afford to get any slower than we already are so Matho/JL probably aren’t the answer.

With Gunston going down injured, now is the time to see how that 2 tall/ hybrid 3rd tall set up goes again that worked so well against Richmond.

Watching that Melbourne/Carlton game tonight, we are going to have to go to another level just to match that type of intensity and to do so, I think we still need an extra runner.

Who that is I’m not sure, but I thought our midfield pressure in tonight’s game at centre clearance needs a lot of work, so to make that area slower wouldn’t be the way to go imo.

I think back to that finals series last year and the way we ran against Richmond and Melbourne. Please can we see that again. Please.

Tunstill>Lyons>Matho the pecking order for midfielders based on reserves form. Sharp going well on a wing. Slim pickin’s tbh.

I know other teams have injury issues but becoming pretty apparent that Will is going to be the hardest player to replace this finals series. Miss him desperately right now.

I know other teams have injury issues but becoming pretty apparent that Will is going to be the hardest player to replace this finals series. Miss him desperately right now.
All the more reason I hope the club has someone to bring in during the offseason, even as a solid depth recruit who is a more likely option to play than a JL or Matho.

We’ll still be in the window next year, we can’t risk going in short in the midfield whilst we wait for Will to get back. Might be playing catch up by then.

All the more reason I hope the club has someone to bring in during the offseason, even as a solid depth recruit who is a more likely option to play than a JL or Matho.

We’ll still be in the window next year, we can’t risk going in short in the midfield whilst we wait for Will to get back. Might be playing catch up by then.

I've said my piece in the list management thread but I don't think there is someone available for a reasonable price who can fulfill a similar role. I know people have been spruiking parish but he's a different player and would cost 800k plus. Maybe there's a reasonably priced depth player as you suggest out there, have no clue who it could be personally.

It will be tough but think we have to grind it out until he's back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back