Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Round 23 v Magpies @ Marvel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

What about Noah Answerth? I know his disposal isn’t great, but none of the others coming in are that great either.
He has the endurance and was playing some on ball minutes prior to injury in the vfl i believe?
Can play multiple positions.
We need more two way runners coming into finals.
We really need to find a way to sort our mid rotations out. As others have stated, it is alarming the drop off from the team since Ashcroft has gone out.

What about Noah Answerth? I know his disposal isn’t great, but none of the others coming in are that great either.
He has the endurance and was playing some on ball minutes prior to injury in the vfl i believe?
We really need to find a way to sort our mid rotations out. As others have stated, it is alarming the drop off from the team since Ashcroft has gone out.

When did he last play? A month ago?

I'm really starting to like the look of Tunstill. Very strong below his torso ,great build for an inside mid . But I'd say he's still 12 months away from having any impact at Senior level.
im hoping he can come in and be one of our starting mids next year with the acknowledgment that ashcroft wont be back until the byes at the earliest and will likely not be back to his best with confidence in his body until 2025

big preseason for him

Forward pressure was the key to beating the pies earlier in the season and will be the same this time around.

I expect our midfield to finally break the shackles against the pies who IMO have a relatively weak center line. It will be up to the likes of McCarthy / Cameron / Rayner up forward to apply the pressure.

With that in mind, Gunstons replacement has to be someone that will apply hard defensive pressure for an entire match. Lohmann seems a popular option, personally I would be interested to see what Cockatoo can do. His tackling was a highlight of his game when he played back a few seasons ago and has had 4, 5 and 7 tackles in his last 3 games in the VFL. I haven't seen his form line myself, but I think he could really contribute up there.

Assuming Coleman is ready to come back as well, Prior drops out who has been decent, like his courageous spoil on Walker, but overall not as dependable defensively or as reliable with his disposal.

Out: Gunston Prior
In: Cockatoo Coleman
Sub: Fletcher

i dont think we are far off our best to be honest with coleman to return this week

the problem is our #1 and #2 midfielder are both well down on their form from 6~ weeks ago and our #3 midfielder is out for the year

clug has stood up but he needs his mates to come with him

dunks and neale really need to recapture form and chemistry if we are to win this game and go into finals with confidence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neale looks like he needs a real freshen up. He's setting himself for a big finals series and he's got a good record at rising to the occasion in big games.

In: Lohmann, K. Coleman
Out: Gunston, Prior

Give Jaspa one more week as sub to manage his minutes. Rayner into the third tall role and Lohmann to play as a pressure forward who rotates up the wings to connect with transitions. He is strong at this in VFL level and think he'd suit this role better than Rayner has.

I want to see our midfield with Robertson in it for a second week and against another strong midfield. I thought he got a pass mark this week, but not convinced he's a better selection than Jaspa come finals. Still, we absolutely need a two way running mid and he fits the mould, so am keen to see him with a second week in the role. Would absolutely like to see him do more in that role though, but expect he'll show more after getting that game under his belt.

He's been in the injury list for the past month or so.

Prior played a solid game and showed HB is more suited to him than wing.
Coleman is best 22 so Prior most likely makes way.

Gunston replacement
I think Lohmann is the obvious choice for next week. He can take a solid mark, applies pressure and kicks goals which is what we require.
Being young his AFL form is a little up and down so give him 2 games to solidify his position.
VFL form looks solid just going on stats.
His last 8 games: Average 18 disposals, 6 marks and 4 tackles. He has kicked 21 goals in that period too.

I would still be 50/50 him playing finals if he struggles in those 2 games if given a chance.

I wonder if it might be worth giving Neale / Dunkley a couple of weeks off. We have finished top four, it doesn't really matter whether we lose the next two games and three weeks off to freshen up a few banged up players might be short time game for finals gain. Might even be worth resting Payne too. It is a risk, a massive one but the finals is what we have been about all season, we are there now with the double chance regardless.

Could also give our next level down mids a shoot out for who to partner those two in the finals.

Maybe something like:
Out - Gunston, Dunkley, Neale, Payne, Prior
In - Lohmann, Mathieson, Lyons, Gardner, Coleman

I wonder if it might be worth giving Neale / Dunkley a couple of weeks off. We have finished top four, it doesn't really matter whether we lose the next two games and three weeks off to freshen up a few banged up players might be short time game for finals gain. Might even be worth resting Payne too. It is a risk, a massive one but the finals is what we have been about all season, we are there now with the double chance regardless.

We're playing for top two though. We need our best 22 out there next week and in the final round would be open to giving Neale a rest if he needs it, but realistically the pre finals bye is for just that.

Could also give our next level down mids a shoot out for who to partner those two in the finals.

Maybe something like:
Out - Gunston, Dunkley, Neale, Payne, Prior
In - Lohmann, Mathieson, Lyons, Gardner, Coleman
Not a chance.

The difference between us finishing 2nd or 3rd is astronomical. Potentially two home finals to reach a GF. We can’t be going easy.

I feel we are still underdogs to finish 2nd as Melbourne and Port do have the easier runs even if they are a game behind.

We play horrid after a bye but a week off between the last round and the first final will be a God-send this year.

In: Lohmann, K. Coleman
Out: Gunston, Prior

Give Jaspa one more week as sub to manage his minutes. Rayner into the third tall role and Lohmann to play as a pressure forward who rotates up the wings to connect with transitions. He is strong at this in VFL level and think he'd suit this role better than Rayner has.

I want to see our midfield with Robertson in it for a second week and against another strong midfield. I thought he got a pass mark this week, but not convinced he's a better selection than Jaspa come finals. Still, we absolutely need a two way running mid and he fits the mould, so am keen to see him with a second week in the role. Would absolutely like to see him do more in that role though, but expect he'll show more after getting that game under his belt.
Agreed. Lohmann has looked good as he has moved further up the ground. Potential to move into the mid field next year.

Not a chance.

The difference between us finishing 2nd or 3rd is astronomical. Potentially two home finals to reach a GF. We can’t be going easy.

I feel we are still underdogs to finish 2nd as Melbourne and Port do have the easier runs even if they are a game behind.

We play horrid after a bye but a week off between the last round and the first final will be a God-send this year.
And to be fair all 18 teams this year have been horrible after a bye

Correct but the question was whether we had lost a game with Matho in it.

In any case he’s not the answer.
Maybe it’s total coincidence but I’d be very confident that out of all our players Matho would have the highest winning % of all our players over the last 3 or so seasons.

Sure his skills aren’t great, but he lifts the team and cracks in everytime. Not all premiership teams are full of superstars. The Richmond premiership teams was a great example. Had their guns sure, but had half a team of foot soldiers who did their role well.

The clearance area is where we’re clearly lacking in, especially on second rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back