Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Round 23 v Magpies @ Marvel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who does he replace and why do you think he hasn't been chosen? There have been opportunities throughout the season.

Would definitely have been close a few times I reckon. Probably the week he'd have gotten a shot was the week he got injured (minor) which was bad luck.

Besides that week, I'd say the club is probably hesitant to play both he and Rayner, although Cocky looks fitter than Cam.

Big O has been strugging in 4th quarters and I'd love to play Fort for first 3 quarters and sub him out for a small at the last. 3 tall structure is maintained and gives Oscar a better chop out come finals.

Have you been watching Joe ruck? Most times he doesn't even get to the contest.
Of all the things you've brought out against Joe, this has to be the weirdest on first reading.

I can only assume you mean he doesn't contest the tap, because to me "doesn't get to the contest" means he's elsewhere on the field and that's clearly not the case - even the umpires hold up until rucks get there now.

Big O has been strugging in 4th quarters and I'd love to play Fort for first 3 quarters and sub him out for a small at the last. 3 tall structure is maintained and gives Oscar a better chop out come finals.

Which is great until a mid goes down in the first quarter.

Then we are in the three talls structure with even less mobility.

I know Kiddy will come back in but I have liked Priors fitness in the role. Clearly runs out the game better than Kiddy. Prior is clearly able to fill a role in the team.

Another option is to push Ah Chee back forward. Harsh as he has done well back there. Then we have an open wing spot to fill. Prior is in the team and doing fine. Fletcher could come back in (hopefully rested after 2 sub games). Or you could bring in Sharp. Every VFL report recently seems to name Sharp in the bests.

Honestly wonder if all three of those wing options might be better options than Lohman. All three seem fit and in form

I know Kiddy will come back in but I have liked Priors fitness in the role. Clearly runs out the game better than Kiddy. Prior is clearly able to fill a role in the team.

Another option is to push Ah Chee back forward. Harsh as he has done well back there. Then we have an open wing spot to fill. Prior is in the team and doing fine. Fletcher could come back in (hopefully rested after 2 sub games). Or you could bring in Sharp. Every VFL report recently seems to name Sharp in the bests.

Honestly wonder if all three of those wing options might be better options than Lohman. All three seem fit and in form

I'd have Sharp a very long way ahead of Prior as a wing

I'd have Sharp a very long way ahead of Prior as a wing
Possibly true although I'm not quite convinced on Sharp yet. Sharp has massively improved this year though. Next year he could potentially play most of the year.

Prior is more flexible. I actually think he could be a good sub option the next few weeks as a utility

Possibly true although I'm not quite convinced on Sharp yet. Sharp has massively improved this year though. Next year he could potentially play most of the year.

Prior is more flexible. I actually think he could be a good sub option the next few weeks as a utility

Sharp was fantastic in the VFL against a very good Williamstown team. Very high pressure game and he stood up - probably something that has been a weakness of his. If we need a running wingman in, he'd be my choice over Prior too.

Last time we played them back in round 4, Payne marked Elliot as McStay was mostly rucking. Still think Payne is struggling a bit with an ankle so no chance on matching up on Elliot, and will very likely get Mihocek who plays deeper then McStay. Joyce was playing and seemed to be on Johnson so IF Johnson plays possibly Lester goes to him.

Cam to play our deep third tall, with a few minutes in the middle if required.

Sharp was fantastic in the VFL against a very good Williamstown team. Very high pressure game and he stood up - probably something that has been a weakness of his. If we need a running wingman in, he'd be my choice over Prior too.

At the game, he ran very well defensively and offensively against Williamstown. However, his disposal is either rocks or diamonds at the moment though, which I think is holding him back. He is not alone for poor disposal in the VFL team to be fair.

At the game, he ran very well defensively and offensively against Williamstown. However, his disposal is either rocks or diamonds at the moment though, which I think is holding him back. He is not alone for poor disposal in the VFL team to be fair.

I didn't think his disposal was bad on the weekend tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we have desperately missed Kiddy’s ball movement out of the backline since he has been out.
Couple of weeks out will have freshened him up and hopefully he has been doing a fair bit of running to keep his fitness levels up and hopefully even gone to another level. I know the club hasn’t mentioned anything but I wonder if there was any concussion related symptoms with Kiddy as well considering it was a pretty decent hit to the scone. If so training and running may have been restricted but hopefully just the eye and he has been training strongly while on the sidelines.
I think he had also been defending with much more desperation in recent months too.

Our defensive match ups this week will be interesting. We need to get Harris free to do what he does best and intercept mark.

Payne - Mihocek;
Harris - McStay;
Lester - McCreery;
Starce - Elliott;
Kiddy/Wilmot - Hill
McKenna - Ginnivan

??

Last edited:
Which is great until a mid goes down in the first quarter.

Then we are in the three talls structure with even less mobility.

It'll be no different to when Gunston has been playing so far. We can't argue this mid going down won't be a problem with a Gunston based 3 tall structure but as soon as Fort comes in this is a major issue.

If a mid goes down, the small sub comes on early and Fort plays the full game. Same as Gunston would do at present.

Couple of questions for the VFL watchers.

1. Is there a reason why Fullerton isn't getting a shot has a forward? Is he still playing forward/ruck in the twos? Would think if another tall was required for Gunston (with the current Daniher/Oscar situation) that he would be picked as the replacement.
2. Is Prior playing back or as a utility in the VFL? I remember that Hawthorn game last year where he kicked 3 or 4 up forward, and we know he can play wing or back.

Couple of questions for the VFL watchers.

1. Is there a reason why Fullerton isn't getting a shot has a forward? Is he still playing forward/ruck in the twos? Would think if another tall was required for Gunston (with the current Daniher/Oscar situation) that he would be picked as the replacement.
2. Is Prior playing back or as a utility in the VFL? I remember that Hawthorn game last year where he kicked 3 or 4 up forward, and we know he can play wing or back.

Forward/ruck. Hard to understand what the coaches are thinking with gunston

He's settled down back

He's settled down back
From memory Fullarton got an injury when Gunston was omitted.
He was a bit unlucky as i think they may have gone with him as he was playing well in the VFL.
They opted for Lohmann at that time but maybe Fullarton would have been considered if fit.
I prefer Fullarton over Fort for that position if they decide to go that way.
However, i think it may be getting a bit late in the season to try Fullarton.
If Fagan wants to keep the 3 talls setup he may get a go, but Lohmann most likely comes in.

He can only tackle if the opponent is standing next to him when he receives the ball, if there is any space he is almost zero chance of catching and tackling.

I'd be giving Dev a decent crack at his preferred role, Dev is light years ahead of Lyons re defensive run and tackling, his gut running tonight was outstanding.

Pies player streaming out of the middle

speedy-gonzales-running-t0uvc86wu0vlqdwv.gif

with Lyons in hot pursuit..

slowpoke-slow.gif

My 2¢: If Hipwood or Daniher went down, I think Fullarton could be considered as a replacement lead up forward/ruck. His game is probably too similar to those players to bring him up for Gunston.

He's been presenting strongly and playing well, but he's one of several reserves players whose cards seem to be marked, rightly or wrongly. In fairness it's hard to argue that he's been able to make the best of the very limited senior opportunities he's had. You never know though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back