Unofficial Preview Changes & Discussion Round 3 v Magpies @ Gabba Easter Thursday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminder!

We're still looking for the most beloved of BF Lions Board posters - preview writers!

Since Pies dont have super tall forward line, we could go with Andrews/Lester/Doedee if Doedee is ready.
Yeah not so sure Pies will be that short. They name a lot of smalls around Miochek but there will be Cox or Cameron ruck/fwd and after the success Frampton had on Andrews in the GF I can see him lining up on him at times. If not Frampton, Howe will go fwd to try to encourage scoring if needed. They will play Moore, Howe and Frampton, and only need 2 for Hippy n Joe. An extra tall to rotate up n down the ground.

They will double team us in the ruck, send a back fwd to stifle Andrews, Cox will certainly be a presence around goal. We can't go in short.

Doedee is an option but one half of VFL footy into unfortunately what is a season defining match, and probably our biggest home game of the season I think is setting him up for failure.

Payne played a full match but split time up forward, I don’t think his GPS numbers would be huge, but Essendon only had 19 i50s to three quarter time so not much action down back. I’d bring him in and play him down back, swing forward if needed.

I thought we actually looked good against Carlton with Gardiner up forward so I think we should bring in either Fort or Brandon Ryan if fit as the 3rd tall. But, I’d still keep Joe as 2nd ruck as it seems to work for us (and him). Going inside 50 against Freo was a big issue so hopefully 3 talls will straighten us up, and then make it easier for our smalls to get into the game if the ball goes to ground.

Zorko to HB and I would put Berry into the mid rotations.

In: Ryan, Payne, Tunstill (sub)
Out: Gardiner (inj), McKenna (inj), Lohmann (inj)

Doedee is an option but one half of VFL footy into unfortunately what is a season defining match, and probably our biggest home game of the season I think is setting him up for failure.

Payne played a full match but split time up forward, I don’t think his GPS numbers would be huge, but Essendon only had 19 i50s to three quarter time so not much action down back. I’d bring him in and play him down back, swing forward if needed.

I thought we actually looked good against Carlton with Gardiner up forward so I think we should bring in either Fort or Brandon Ryan if fit as the 3rd tall. But, I’d still keep Joe as 2nd ruck as it seems to work for us (and him). Going inside 50 against Freo was a big issue so hopefully 3 talls will straighten us up, and then make it easier for our smalls to get into the game if the ball goes to ground.

Zorko to HB and I would put Berry into the mid rotations.

In: Ryan, Payne, Tunstill (sub)
Out: Gardiner (inj), McKenna (inj), Lohmann (inj)

Morris, Smith, Payne and Fort would all be ahead of Ryan up forward at this stage.

Getting more and more concerned about the ability of our midfield to run with opposition midfields, and the ability of our half forwards to support them.

More and more teams playing a full athletic midfield, except for Carlton and us, and rely on turnovers in the back half, then running the ball out to spread and pull apart opposition defences.

Getting more and more concerned about the ability of our midfield to run with opposition midfields, and the ability of our half forwards to support them.

More and more teams playing a full athletic midfield, except for Carlton and us, and rely on turnovers in the back half, then running the ball out to spread and pull apart opposition defences.
If Neale is back then we definitely can’t run with Lyons as well.
He is one that the game has gone past.
All of our other players that run through the midfield just have to put some more emphasis on defence and running defensively and we will be fine.
Our offence comes off the back of defence and when our mids drop off our defenders struggle.
It is a mindset thing that I am hoping the coaching group have been drumming into the players this week.

I think having JL play made things look worse than they are in that area. Need to get the midfield mix right, but think we have the pieces to do it, especially when Ashcroft is back.

Righto, seems some good came out of the Vfl game yesterday. Payne found his hands, kicked a cpl, maybe got some touch. Doedee had a run, seemed comfortable. Tunstill and Prior had good numbers but wasted the ball a bit.

I'm lining them up like this

Starce, Payne, Doedee
Ah Chee, Andrews, Wilmot

Fletcher, Clugg, Berry
Big O, Dunkley, Neale

McCarthy, Daniher, Zorko
Charlie, Hippy, Rayner

Bailey, Dev, Tunstill, Prior
Sub -- Lester.

I think Doedee gets a start. Sorry Ryan. If all involved think he's ready, he'll play. Keeping Lester as sub if Doedee's off or if Pies aren't so tall or if Paynes having a shocker.

Ah Chee at half back, I think is better than Zorko over all, especially defensively. Happy for them to swap over try different thing but I'd prefer Cal.

Berry just plays as a wing, no half back at all please. Tell him to wear Sidebottom like a glove. Redemption time, for him.

Fort had a good game yesterday, I'm open to him in for Big O if they think he can deliver better ball.

I did have a bit of a grin at your first point. The only difference is that Fagan has shown he will drop Lester without any compunction. The two players you mention are basically undroppable under Fagan. Lester strings two bad games together and he is gone. The other two can stink it up or underperform week after week and still be selected.

Career Disposal Efficiency
Dayne Zorko: 68.7%
Ryan Lester: 76.3%

Lester has been doing really well distributing and exiting our defensive 50 in his current Senior stint.

Blah blah blah blah blah. Same old crap from the same old crapper.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Which is then compounded tenfold when we get smashed in clearances like we did in our lapses the last 2 weeks

Hard to see what we can do in the short term. Rotate more through the wings to keep them fresh maybe

Hopefully in the off season we find a more athletic ruckman

Which is then compounded tenfold when we get smashed in clearances like we did in our lapses the last 2 weeks

Hard to see what we can do in the short term. Rotate more through the wings to keep them fresh maybe

Hopefully in the off season we find a more athletic ruckman
Man, opposition wings work so hard. They're not getting a rest out there.

I think having JL play made things look worse than they are in that area. Need to get the midfield mix right, but think we have the pieces to do it, especially when Ashcroft is back.
This where I am having a lot of trouble trying to put together the right mix from our current team.

I genuinely have trouble picking one player who is a good runner both ways.

McCluggage is/was our best runner in our best 22, out on the training track, but that doesn't translate to game day running.

I have zero expectations on Ashcroft when he comes back. Let's wait and see if he is the same player as before the injury, and if he has the confidence in his knee to put in the same efforts right away.

This where I am having a lot of trouble trying to put together the right mix from our current team.

I genuinely have trouble picking one player who is a good runner both ways.

McCluggage is/was our best runner in our best 22, out on the training track, but that doesn't translate to game day running.

I have zero expectations on Ashcroft when he comes back. Let's wait and see if he is the same player as before the injury, and if he has the confidence in his knee to put in the same efforts right away.

I'd be going (in order of # of CBA/stoppage attendance):

Neale
Dunkley
McCluggage/Rayner
Robertson
Berry
Bailey

Keep our hunters on the ball for long periods of time and really focus on winning clearances. I'd be focusing on Rayner at as many CBAs as possible. Even with limited opportunities, he's still winning plenty of CC. While he doesn't have full time mid fitness, use him at as many CBAs as you can and use Hugh more prominently at stoppages.

Robertson to start off half forward and charge into the centre to add defensive pressure and scrap for the ball.

Berry and Bailey the other guys to make up the rotation.

This all said, we really need better output from Oscar. He's become a liability in the ruck. Needs to get back to the basics. If he can just break even, at least our mids will have a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wonder if Neale will come out with a strong statement this week after the loss to Freo (who like us had injuries). Only player I can see in danger is Lyons if Neale is fit. No scan results made public re Gardiner so perhaps Lions foxing with selections this week.

If we want our best gut runners on the wing we'd be going with Harry Sharp and Hugh McCluggage with Jarrod Berry providing wing relief, although that would detract from our overall inside game with Clugga out of that rotation.

I thought after an ordinary first half in the VFL yesterday Sharp was quite good in the 2nd half albeit against ordinary opposition.

Re the total midfield mix to be able to run better Lyons definitely needs to come out and Dev Robertson plays as he is an excellent 2 way runner.

Bruce Reville looks extremely fit as well, noticeably improved from last VFL season, also bigger bodied than he was, he obviously put in a lot of work during the pre season.

Neale
Dunkley
McCluggage/Rayner
Robertson
Berry
Bailey

Keep our hunters on the ball for long periods of time and really focus on winning clearances. I'd be focusing on Rayner at as many CBAs as possible. Even with limited opportunities, he's still winning plenty of CC. While he doesn't have full time mid fitness, use him at as many CBAs as you can and use Hugh more prominently at stoppages.

Robertson to start off half forward and charge into the centre to add defensive pressure and scrap for the ball.

This all said, we really need better output from Oscar. He's become a liability in the ruck. Needs to get back to the basics. If he can just break even, at least our mids will have a chance.
I’ve pretty much given up on Berry playing on ball, and I’m also at the point where I’m willing to move on from Berry being a best 22 player on a wing.

Except, we don’t have a ready made replacement.

If we want our best gut runners on the wing we'd be going with Harry Sharp and Hugh McCluggage with Jarrod Berry providing wing relief, although that would detract from our overall inside game with Clugga out of that rotation.

I thought after an ordinary first half in the VFL yesterday Sharp was quite good in the 2nd half albeit against ordinary opposition.

Re the total midfield mix to be able to run better Lyons definitely needs to come out and Dev Robertson plays as he is an excellent 2 way runner.

Bruce Reville looks extremely fit as well, noticeably improved from last VFL season, also bigger bodied than he was, he obviously put in a lot of work during the pre season.
I would prefer to have good runners who are also good users of the ball on the outside.

Similar to how St Kilda are using Wanganeen-Milera and Hill.

For us, that would be McCluggage and Fletcher. With Ah Chee coming off the bench as wing/forward flanker.

Neale
Dunkley
McCluggage/Rayner
Robertson
Berry
Bailey

young Fletcher is a lock as a wing. Berry and Dev are arguably two of our better two way runners but both had ops and interrupted preseasons, but hopefully getting back to near 100%

I would prefer to have good runners who are also good users of the ball on the outside.

Similar to how St Kilda are using Wanganeen-Milera and Hill.

For us, that would be McCluggage and Fletcher. With Ah Chee coming off the bench as wing/forward flanker.
young Fletcher is a lock as a wing. Berry and Dev are arguably two of our better two way runners but both had ops and interrupted preseasons, but hopefully getting back to near 100%
Wanganeen-Milera is awesome, not many with his foot skills around.

I am a tad worried about Jaspa Fletcher having the 2nd year blues, has looked well down from his debut year form... he is not alone in that though.

A 90% fit Dev is a better option re 2 way running than a 100% fit Lyons.

Man, opposition wings work so hard. They're not getting a rest out there.

St.Kilda game plan shows how well they're using NWM, it's like he has a license to go for whatever kick he thinks is good and everyone's ready to run back if it goes pear shaped.

Sydney 3rd quarter was another lesson in gut running. Not just Heeney, Gulden and Blakey - anyone with ball instinctively handball to the player running past who goes another 10 meters before kicking flat n long to a contest. I believe we'll struggle to cope with this style of play, we are not very good at chasing and defending.

Essendon coped with this style of Sydney for 2 quarters by pushing their forwards deep and back into D50 arc. Stringer and Wright were down there helping. I was shocked at how much chasing Stringer was doing yesterday, later I realized it was his contract renewal year too haha. The downside was they were gassed out running back and their ability to lock the ball in or mark it and kick for goal suffered. Bombers couldn't stay with Swans for last 2 quarters and got pulled apart.

Righto, seems some good came out of the Vfl game yesterday. Payne found his hands, kicked a cpl, maybe got some touch. Doedee had a run, seemed comfortable. Tunstill and Prior had good numbers but wasted the ball a bit.

I'm lining them up like this

Starce, Payne, Doedee
Ah Chee, Andrews, Wilmot

Fletcher, Clugg, Berry
Big O, Dunkley, Neale

McCarthy, Daniher, Zorko
Charlie, Hippy, Rayner

Bailey, Dev, Tunstill, Prior
Sub -- Lester.

I think Doedee gets a start. Sorry Ryan. If all involved think he's ready, he'll play. Keeping Lester as sub if Doedee's off or if Pies aren't so tall or if Paynes having a shocker.

Ah Chee at half back, I think is better than Zorko over all, especially defensively. Happy for them to swap over try different thing but I'd prefer Cal.

Berry just plays as a wing, no half back at all please. Tell him to wear Sidebottom like a glove. Redemption time, for him.

Fort had a good game yesterday, I'm open to him in for Big O if they think he can deliver better ball.

Morris could debut this week.

Similarly one of Prior or Brain has to slot in for kick in duties. I'm leaning towards Prior too for his mature body and bit more experience than Brain.

Brain or Reville still need to be upgraded to be available for selection. Not sure why we haven't made a move there yet. Midseason draft is still a couple of months away.

Probably wanted to see how they perform in the VFL to get a better sense of where they're at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back