Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Round 8 v Eagles @ The Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to sound silly but I'd be tempted to bring Payne in to play Harro's role and Harro plays forward.

Test some creative options in case we need to throw some different looks later in the season.

Freshen Harris up with a different role for a week.

I'm 6 cans in btw.
Yeah, I’d be keeping Harris right where he is.
He is just starting to become the Harris of old and finally playing with some aggression and confidence again.

It's going to sound silly but I'd be tempted to bring Payne in to play Harro's role and Harro plays forward.

Test some creative options in case we need to throw some different looks later in the season.

Freshen Harris up with a different role for a week.

I'm 6 cans in btw.
My thoughts exactly. Get Payne in for those big Eagle forwards n a bit of suck it n see with Dad if we may need to swing Dad forward in the finals at some stage.

I get Fullarton wasn’t great againts the cats and I too share reservations about his ability long term but some of the responses to the prospect of playing him are OTT.

He has shown signs, particularly with his mobility and ability around the ground, he also kicks straight.

He has had a number of decent games and a number of poor games.

You can’t see a big kid with minimal games experience slip over, not hit a pack hard everytime or miss a set shot and put a line through them.

He is a project player. I remember us being flat when he did his thigh after his first few games when he was tracking ok.

Remember that give and go out of the ruck againts the Saints I think it was?

Also, when you pluck a tall out of the ressies and put them in, since when do we expect them to star immediately? It takes them a few weeks to feel the pace of the game. Any big coming back takes weeks.

If I was to predict if he will work out, I’d proably say no - but, in the mean time, like all project talls I am more than happy for him to come in for Joe and have a few games if needed. He works hard, his team mates love him, he HAS played well at times and he might just surprise us in the key forward position without ruck duties.

If he is average over 3-4 games, ok, we learn more about him and can make a sound decision come contract time.

We need to bring the mindset we had against North.If the opposition are struggling be relentless.
K have also watched Melbourne Storm the last two weeks against mediocre opposition.Switched on from go to whoa and no mercy.I suspect percentage will once again be important so we need to cash in.

I'm presuming Madden was sub because the odds say you're unlikely to use the sub.

T Berry and Dev are clearly way ahead of him imo.
Also versatility - we saw Madden up forward and he did ok, we know he can play down back, and you can probably even stick him on a wing.

Berry and Dev are more just up forward or inside mid.

Payne was pretty average today I thought. I’ll be very surprised if he comes in off what I’ve seen of his recent form.
I watched the whole game and apart from a couple poor kicks I thought Payne played well, especially in the first Q. Not that stats mean everything but he ended up with 24 disposals, 20 kicks, 12 marks, 2 tackles 108 AF Fantasy (which is useless stat). All that from a team that dominated 3 of the 4 Q's

FWIW i don't think he will be in the 1's

I'd like to see Cockatoo come in for Daniher and we run a smaller but powerful forward line. Prior stays if not injured. Otherwise Dev comes in as the Med. Sub and Madden retains his spot in the 22.

I get Fullarton wasn’t great againts the cats and I too share reservations about his ability long term but some of the responses to the prospect of playing him are OTT.

He has shown signs, particularly with his mobility and ability around the ground, he also kicks straight.

He has had a number of decent games and a number of poor games.

You can’t see a big kid with minimal games experience slip over, not hit a pack hard everytime or miss a set shot and put a line through them.

He is a project player. I remember us being flat when he did his thigh after his first few games when he was tracking ok.

Remember that give and go out of the ruck againts the Saints I think it was?

Also, when you pluck a tall out of the ressies and put them in, since when do we expect them to star immediately? It takes them a few weeks to feel the pace of the game. Any big coming back takes weeks.

If I was to predict if he will work out, I’d proably say no - but, in the mean time, like all project talls I am more than happy for him to come in for Joe and have a few games if needed. He works hard, his team mates love him, he HAS played well at times and he might just surprise us in the key forward position without ruck duties.

If he is average over 3-4 games, ok, we learn more about him and can make a sound decision come contract time.
Problem with Tom he is not aggressive enough and a little one paced, arguably that was the downside for Ballenden. If McStay leaves I think we will have to extend Fullarton so probably will play him. We are going to beat the Eagles easily so it might be a chance to mix it up a bit. We have Payne who extended and was picked as a forward in the Semi last year so it might be worth giving him a go.

I'd drop Prior regardless of injury. Really doesn't seem to contribute much or get into the right areas as a wingman.
Definitely a harsh criticism and I think he has been good overall. However watching the replay there was a couple times where he started on the wing in that center bounce clearance and was slow to work back to add additional pressure. Not sure he has the tank for full games on the wing as of yet.

In regards to Joe it will be like for like. My main concern is Fullerton is slow, Lester slow. I actually would try Payne. Why not? Did it in the final last year and the coaches were brave enough to do it. I am not saying WCE are a soft kill but we are at home and they are 18th. If there was a game to try something that doesn't take away from our structure/game plan it is this one.

I'm presuming Madden was sub because the odds say you're unlikely to use the sub.

T Berry and Dev are clearly way ahead of him imo.

Fagan mentioned in the press meet that we were discussing and planning for their good small forwards who can mark the ball well. From that context, having Madden made sense as it gave us the cover in defense if needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen enough of Fullerton in the seniors. Happy to play Cam deep again.

This. Bring Dev in to replace Cam's midfield time, and let him go. A couple of times he flew in the pack and brought the ball to ground resulting in shots on goal. the confidence he is showing now he will be a real handfull out of the square.

Don't trust Stevo, this isn't a story about a state liberal MP's drink driving charge or about the 38th best player on the Dogs. Reckon that is speculation rather than informed comment.

Listening to SEN because I'm a sicko and Sam Edmund reporting that its believed it is a shoulder sublaxation (i.e. it popped out but went straight back in), and expected to be a pain management thing and surgery not expected to be required. However there won't be an official update today as Joe can't get in for a scan due to labour day.

So yes, confirm Stevo talking out of his arse.

Id like to see Froggy Lester come in for Joe. Suspect it will be his last year and I like good club guys like Ryan and a few games now might be the last opp for an early send 0ff and its not like hes incompetent.

Also and pls dont laugh, but in the past few years when playing teams we should easily account for, we come out arrigant and dont put them away. I know we smashed North and its unlikely WCE would beat us even if did that, but I hope Fages revs them up to come out blazing so it isnt a stressful night and one where we areant up fit particulalry b/c % is crucial to get 2nd spot at years end.

Last edited:
Listening to SEN because I'm a sicko and Sam Edmund reporting that its believed it is a shoulder sublaxation (i.e. it popped out but went straight back in), and expected to be a pain management thing and surgery not expected to be required. However there won't be an official update today as Joe can't get in for a scan due to labour day.

So yes, confirm Stevo talking out of his arse.

Danny Daly confirms the shoulder subluxation, says it could potentially be as bad as a 4-6 week injury to strengthen the shoulder but they are hoping it is on the minor end.

4-6 weeks for Joe and no problems for Prior would be a relatively outstanding result considering how both of those injuries could have gone.

Our next 6 games are:
West Coast
Adelaide
Hawthorn
GWS
Freo
St Kilda

Then the bye

Obviously would be very helpful to be as close as full-strength as possible for those last two, and Adelaide/Hawthorn/GWS could be tricky too, but on the whole it's not the worst time to lose Joe for a while if that's the way it turns out.

What’s the timeframe for Hipwood? Freo and St Kilda hopefully or after the bye? Personally I would give Joe until after the break for the backhalf of the year.

What’s the timeframe for Hipwood? Freo and St Kilda hopefully or after the bye? Personally I would give Joe until after the break for the backhalf of the year.
I thought it was mentioned a couple weeks ago that he could potentially be ready for the game against Adelaide. Whether that meant in the AFL or VFL I’ve got no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back