Unofficial Preview Changes? & discussion, Semi-Final v Giants, Saturday September 14th, 7.25pm @ Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching all of the NEAFL game yesterday and most of the season on youtube I'd be all for any one of Bastinac, Taylor, Mathieson, Lester, Robertson to come in for Mitch Robbo depending on whether they just what someone in as a straight swap onto the wing for Robbo or they move someone else to the wing eg. Berry.

I am a huge fan of Cedric Cox's long term prospects for us but I think he'd be found out in such a huge game, I'd rather go with someone who has a good amount of AFL experience, hopefully guys like Cox, Wooller, Ballenden, T.Berry, Starcevich, Payne etc. get their chance to show us what they've got next season.

After watching all of the NEAFL game yesterday and most of the season on youtube I'd be all for any one of Bastinac, Taylor, Mathieson, Lester, Robertson to come in for Mitch Robbo depending on whether they just what someone in as a straight swap onto the wing for Robbo or they move someone else to the wing eg. Berry.

I am a huge fan of Cedric Cox's long term prospects for us but I think he'd be found out in such a huge game, I'd rather go with someone who has a good amount of AFL experience, hopefully guys like Cox, Wooller, Ballenden, T.Berry, Starcevich, Payne etc. get their chance to show us what they've got next season.
If it’s not Cutler, personally I think it should be Bastinac. The problem as I see it, which 3KZ is Football has pointed out, certain players cards have obviously been marked and Fagan has regularly demonstrated his stubbornness of picking certain players over others that are in better form that he doesn’t want anymore.

I guess Robinson’s spot will come down to who will be at the club next year even if Cutler / Bastinac should get the nod over others.

If it’s not Cutler, personally I think it should be Bastinac. The problem as I see it, which 3KZ is Football has pointed out, certain players cards have obviously been marked and Fagan has regularly demonstrated his stubbornness of picking certain players over others that are in better form that he doesn’t want anymore.

I guess Robinson’s spot will come down to who will be at the club next year even if Cutler / Bastinac should get the nod over others.
I wouldn't accuse Fagan of demonstrated stubbornness, I just think it's as simple as he doesn't think Tom Cutler(and others) is good enough or offers enough to our team and others do.

I do like Cutler as well but it's as obvious as my bald head that Fagan knows more about football and what it takes to make a successful footballer/team than me and he certainly has a hell of a lot more inside information about what is happening re his players attitude, development, abilities, potential, willingness to play team roles and commitment to their own and team improvement.

Basti has been very good lately & has the experience. I like him a lot to replace Robbo notwithstanding he won't be with us next year.

I'm confident of a resounding victory Saturday night. We played awesome first quarter. In the third quarter we chased the game and gave some easy goals.
I think we will be too good for GWS. However, Mitch is a big loss.

Fish reckons Cox or Taylor in that order
Keays surely offers more than Cox.

Keays' last Senior Game: 15 Disposals, 7 Contested Possessions, 2 Tackles, 4 Inside 50's
Cox's last Senior Game: 9 Disposals, 3 Contested Possessions, 2 Tackles, 2 Inside 50's

Keays did absolutely nothing wrong when he came in to replace McCluggage in Round 17 and he deserves another shot.

Last edited:
If we need more speed, put in Lewy, if we need more class put in Cox.

Ultimately I don’t think we will see any other changes for Saturday, not until we pick up some new players from the trade period will we see a change in lineup.

I do think Lewy has amped up his game enough to be included though.

Fish reckons Cox or Taylor in that order
Makes sense as Cox went out for Christensen.We have flexibility around our best 22.Pretty clear Fagan is sticking with what he and the line coaches think is our best 22 over the last month

I think Fagan is stubborn to the gameplan. The gameplan that got us 16 wins this year.
Yes although I would like some changes during games. We do stick to our gameplan even when loosing.
During the year I understood we want consistency with younger players although finals you need to have a plan B

Martin as a forward was a killer coaching choice..
I know we missed 100000 shots at goals and the umps did us no favours.
Watch the first qtr again .
Bombing it long to a pack and hoping for a crumb. Against a team that picks off forward 50 kicks as marks not a great plan.
Not sure which show I watched after the tigers round 23 game and they said we be better kick in grubbers then high kicks.
I agree. Our intensity was up in the first although Tigers killed our game plan.
You think GWS would of watched.

Yes although I would like some changes during games. We do stick to our gameplan even when loosing.
During the year I understood we want consistency with younger players although finals you need to have a plan B

Martin as a forward was a killer coaching choice..
I know we missed 100000 shots at goals and the umps did us no favours.
Watch the first qtr again .
Bombing it long to a pack and hoping for a crumb. Against a team that picks off forward 50 kicks as marks not a great plan.
Not sure which show I watched after the tigers round 23 game and they said we be better kick in grubbers then high kicks.
I agree. Our intensity was up in the first although Tigers killed our game plan.
You think GWS would of watched.

Have to also remember that we have the core of a team that won 5 games last year. Fagan might not believe our young team can make big changes to the gameplan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see both sides of this . I did get a little frustrated on Saturday night when our gameplan clearly wasn't working and they were sweeping the ball away for easy goals off our high entries but on the other hand with an even run off the umps and some straight kicking we might have been 5 up before the damage started.One of our problems has been that Hippy hasn't been as effective in contesting in the forward line lately , nor Big O , if you're leaving the grunt work and high flying to McCarthy then you've got an issue.

I can see both sides of this . I did get a little frustrated on Saturday night when our gameplan clearly wasn't working and they were sweeping the ball away for easy goals off our high entries but on the other hand with an even run off the umps and some straight kicking we might have been 5 up before the damage started.One of our problems has been that Hippy hasn't been as effective in contesting in the forward line lately , nor Big O , if you're leaving the grunt work and high flying to McCarthy then you've got an issue.
Agree, particularly re the Big O, he has been down for a while, not clunking many marks or getting to as many contests.

Likewise what works against lesser teams mightn't work against Richmond for enough of the game . But I guess you can only play with the players you have and the level at which they're able to implement and adapt

Martin as a forward was a killer coaching choice.

Richmond flagged their approach well before the game and it was written up in the media. While we were talking about whether to play Adams or Gardiner on Riewoldt, it was reported pre-game that whoever Adams played on would be the main avenue of attack for Richmond. Richmond was keen to keep Andrews out of the game as much as possible, so whoever he played on was going to be relegated to a secondary role, trying to keep Harris out of the contest. So we line up Gardiner on Riewoldt and Andrews on Lynch and Adams on Martin. Hardwick then moves Dusty into the forward line and the rest is history. It was a great piece of coaching by Hardwick and as I said, it was flagged in the media.

If we have the good fortune to play Richmond again, we need to be aware of the fact that they have identified Adams as the weak link in defence and they are going to exploit him. Counter measures need to be developed.

I find it difficult to say "cards have been marked" in relation to being in the team. Cutler was a first choice winger who got overtaken by Mitch Robbo as who has subsequently become part of arguably the best wing pair in the comp. There is no shame in being behind Mcluggage and Robbo.

Was Robbo's card marked from being in the B team during pre-season? I can easily see Cuttler coming in for him. At the same time I wouldn't be surprised if we load up on even more experience and throw Basty in because at least he's in good ressies form and knows the level required.

Brisbane Lions

State league affiliate: Brisbane (NEAFL)
This weekend: Brisbane v Sydney - Sunday, September 8, 1pm, South Pine Sports Complex

Ryan Bastinac has put his hand up to be hamstrung clubmate Mitch Robinson's senior replacement with 39 disposals and two goals in a best-on-ground performance in the NEAFL.

The undefeated Lions marched into the Grand Final with a 50-point win over Sydney, with Corey Lyons (29 possessions), Jacob Allison (28), Rhys Mathieson (27) and Nick Robertson (21) also prominent.

Defender Josh Walker took 12 marks and had 28 touches in a commanding display.

Among the other familiar names to fire were experienced duo Lewis Taylor (25, two goals) and Ryan Lester (25) as Brisbane prepares to face reigning premier Southport.

I really wonder what Bastinac has to do to get a game. Fagan said in his presser after the Richmond Game that he would be looking at the NEAFL game, well I wonder what he made of what he saw?

If we actually want to win this game, it has to be Bastinac. Neither Cutler, Keays, Cox or Mathieson are playing anywhere near as well. Cox's only advantage is that he's young and can develop into a best 22 player so the experience will help him, but the finals aren't the time to hand games out for building up experience. Cutler and Matho don't even offer that.

Have to also remember that we have the core of a team that won 5 games last year. Fagan might not believe our young team can make big changes to the gameplan.
I agree so this year is a learning experiance still.. where we hoping more.
I say we a chance to win against GWS. so finals and a win more then we dreamed off
Although you finish top 2 and you could go out straight sets as well

Also we can keep the same game plan and move personal around.
Cameron up the ground and Hippy back to square
Or Big O to the square..
Even Cameron on the ball more. I know Rayner had more time in the middle
Charlie is pretty good up the ground with his skill as well.

Keep talking about players who can play both ends like McStay back and Andrews/Adams forward. We just do not do it.
38 points down 3qtr time might be a point you just try something

If we actually want to win this game, it has to be Bastinac. Neither Cutler, Keays, Cox or Mathieson are playing anywhere near as well. Cox's only advantage is that he's young and can develop into a best 22 player so the experience will help him, but the finals aren't the time to hand games out for building up experience. Cutler and Matho don't even offer that.
Agree, although Robbo's scan results are yet to rule him unfit to play right at this time. Should Robbo not play, its out of Bastinac & Keays for me.

Agree, particularly re the Big O, he has been down for a while, not clunking many marks or getting to as many contests.
Big O tried. Missed a goal.
Do not think Hipwood's knee been right. Yes I know lots of players carry injuries.
I strained my Medial ligament 3 weeks and really tentative just walking
You can see where it take a spark out for someone who leaps and jumps if it wobbles a little a few times even in a game.

Basti even if he knows he probably out. Still can offer something. Might be a spark if he played 3 weeks a GF
be a great way to go out. big motivation for him. Could land him another contract here or elsewhere.
I still think he has something to offer.

Look at Hodge I had him BOG for us.. Retired a few years back and still not sure on next year.
We still playing him
Otherwise yes get a final into Keays, Matho, Cox or Talyor. Although 2 are unsigned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back