Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v North in the Adelaide Hills Round 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News
Yer no way Matho could play the Linc role, Dev or Ah Chee if Fages looks to make a change, not going to happen anyway, Linc was better last night.

Some strange opinions in here.

Dropping McCarthy after his best performance of the year and his relentless pressure game? I would have dropped him after his first 2-3 games but not after last night.

Dropping Wilmot after he looks to be growing in confidence every week?

Dropping Bailey?

Dropping Gunston? Wot?
We've both been around here long enough to know that some people just love the concept of dropping players.

simpsons-cut.gif

We've both been around here long enough to know that some people just love the concept of dropping players.

simpsons-cut.gif
Some people drop players, some players post Simpsons gifs. Whatever floats your boat.

Out: Gunston, McCarthy
In: Lyons, Mathieson

McCluggage plays on the wing. Lyons straight into the midfield rotation. Mathieson plays McCarthy’s role.

Can’t wait for Payne and Starcevich to make way for our next best inside miss from the VFL next week.

We should be 100% inside mid by Round 10.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Why does Fagan have so many whipping boys? It just doesn’t seem fair.
With Charlie playing much higher than usual, Lincoln McCarthy was pushed up the ground rather than in his inside 50 crumbing role. In that context, I could see Mathieson making a difference and being more than capable of doing better in the role McCarthy had last night. Especially as I think Mathieson adds more aggression and team lifting endeavour. I notice that in games, McCarthy will also rotate through the middle on occasion, which I think Mathieson would be stronger at.
Rich doesn’t play for mine because his lack of speed and two way running means that he is now another senior ‘depth player’.

Personally I think some people are mistaking Lohmann’s x-factor and bit of attitude for lack of effort and selfishness. Yes he’ll fly for a mark when he thinks he’s a chance but he stays down and crumbs the front of packs very well too. Whenever I see him in a position to chase and pressure he goes 110% every time as well. If he’s in the forward 50 and there’s a ground ball the opposite is going to know he’s around the place.

Not saying he should be in for Linc this week as he was still a bit fumbly and not quite up to speed yesterday but I don’t think he should be left out on the basis that some are saying.

Gardiner more likely to play VFL next week apparently per the fox footy pre-game.
I hope so. I'm a big fan of Gardiner's, love his aggression, his effort. But I'm also seeing how having the taller boys Payne (197cms) and Joyce (195cms) is allowing Andrews to take the 3rd tall fwd (often the shorter of the 3) resulting in a mismatch to his benefit or giving him much more freedom to leave his man to spoil or intercept mark or the ability to follow his man up the ground and provide the extra height to spoil or intercept the dump kick out from the opposition. He's looking like the player of old and when he can play that floating general role the back 6 and the whole team benefits greatly.

With Adams and Gardiner (both 192cms) I think Andrews had to take the tallest fwd most of the time and it limited his game, his form and his ability to influence play. As long as Payne n Joyce are fit and playing as well as they are at the moment I think it's Vfl for Dizzy.

I hope so. I'm a big fan of Gardiner's, love his aggression, his effort. But I'm also seeing how having the taller boys Payne (197cms) and Joyce (195cms) is allowing Andrews to take the 3rd tall fwd (often the shorter of the 3) resulting in a mismatch to his benefit or giving him much more freedom to leave his man to spoil or intercept mark or the ability to follow his man up the ground and provide the extra height to spoil or intercept the dump kick out from the opposition. He's looking like the player of old and when he can play that floating general role the back 6 and the whole team benefits greatly.

With Adams and Gardiner (both 192cms) I think Andrews had to take the tallest fwd most of the time and it limited his game, his form and his ability to influence play. As long as Payne n Joyce are fit and playing as well as they are at the moment I think it's Vfl for Dizzy.
I probably had a pre conceived idea that Joyce wasn't much good. I still believe he struggles a bit at Senior level but what he does do is realise his limitations and play smart within that. His role is to defend which he does reasonably well. And creates room for the playmakers.

The other thing I liked about him was when he got that half there free paid against him in the goal square in the first quarter he had a bit of a giggle and just got on with it. Didn't let it get him down or change his approach.

He seems to have a no nonsense attitude and has done the job for us in the games he's played. I'm not convinced Dizzy would be all that much better unless he's completely free of any injury issues.

Joyce is filling a role down back and with Gardiners non preseason he should come back through the VFL.
That way Gardiner won't need to be putting everything on the line at contests as he is used to doing.
Just eased back with a few games in the VFL.
That will give he and the club a better idea of his match fitness and how his body responds to full body contact when 4 points is on the line.

Zorko mentioned that his first game back with full body contact knocked him around a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joyce is filling a role down back and with Gardiners non preseason he should come back through the VFL.
That way Gardiner won't need to be putting everything on the line at contests as he is used to doing.
Just eased back with a few games in the VFL.
That will give he and the club a better idea of his match fitness and how his body responds to full body contact when 4 points is on the line.

Zorko mentioned that his first game back with full body contact knocked him around a lot.
Completely agree, the last thing we need is to rush him back in, to his and the teams possible detriment. Get him fit, get him ready. Same with Rich. Some time in the Vfl could be the best thing for him. I'd nearly reckon Dan has never played a ressies game. Maybe he could even play a bit of a different role. I did see him fwd a bit v Melb or was it just that his man dragged him fwd. Anyway a few Vfl games with some encouragement to play on quicker, vary his kick in etc, could sharpen him up.

As the equal 4th most dropped player in Fagan's era, I hope Prior is not dropped this week.

It seems likely that Rich returns per Fagan's comments, so the only player I can think would make way is Joyce, although i know that they arent similalr players. Hence my opening remark that i hope Prior isnt dropped. Is tough as nails and consistent. Any talk of Wilmot being dropped is just insane - the kid keeps getting better and better each game he plays and you can tell his confidence is growing the same to.

I am not saying they should be dropped but the form of MCCluggage, Bailey, Starc has been concerning so to Big O. Some of his tap work last night when he advantage especially boundaries, was just horrible. Fort for me is so much better, but given Oscar has never been dropped in Fagan's era, its not about to start now.

I hope Ah Chee can find a way in, but aside from Dev's sub spot, not sure who comes out unless Fagan made a statement and dropped a name player.

I just want a professional display next week and a win without to much drama.

As the equal 4th most dropped player in Fagan's era, I hope Prior is not dropped this week.

It seems likely that Rich returns per Fagan's comments, so the only player I can think would make way is Joyce, although i know that they arent similalr players. Hence my opening remark that i hope Prior isnt dropped. Is tough as nails and consistent. Any talk of Wilmot being dropped is just insane - the kid keeps getting better and better each game he plays and you can tell his confidence is growing the same to.

I am not saying they should be dropped but the form of MCCluggage, Bailey, Starc has been concerning so to Big O. Some of his tap work last night when he advantage especially boundaries, was just horrible. Fort for me is so much better, but given Oscar has never been dropped in Fagan's era, its not about to start now.

I hope Ah Chee can find a way in, but aside from Dev's sub spot, not sure who comes out unless Fagan made a statement and dropped a name player.

I just want a professional display next week and a win without to much drama.

I think ah chee May find a way in through sub. Thought he might come in for prior but I ageee that prior played well and shouldn’t be dropped.

They won’t be pushovers, really got on top of Carlton in the contested ball in the first half. We will create more scoring opportunities no doubt, hope the forwards have their kicking boots on, it is our ‘off’ week next week after all😂
North 25 points down at 3/4 time.
Let's see if they can respond.

We’ve all been so focused on the first 4 weeks as supporters as the fixture was going to open up a bit after that month. I hope that hasn’t been the case with the club. If we don’t turn up, or play down to their level (which we have done regularly), we could easily get rolled by an enthusiastic outfit. See the Hawthorn game last year.

In saying that, I’d be very disappointed losing to this mob.

We’ve all been so focused on the first 4 weeks as supporters as the fixture was going to open up a bit after that month. I hope that hasn’t been the case with the club. If we don’t turn up, or play down to their level (which we have done regularly), we could easily get rolled by an enthusiastic outfit. See the Hawthorn game last year.

In saying that, I’d be very disappointed losing to this mob.
As long as we stay the hunter as Jarrod Berry said..... hopefully our game v Port in Round 1 is this sides Round 8, 2001 wake up call moment.

One thing I loved about last night game was that our kick ins were not not as predictable as when Rich is in the team, every kick seemed to be a different player taking it.
I can see it now, Rich comes in and he will take 90% of kick ins which will go to the same bloody spot allowing North to get set up.

Richy has lost his sense of dare with kick in's. He rarely takes the risky kick any more and is often to slow bringing the ball back into play. Coleman is much better in this area now.

I noticed quite a few times on Thursday night Collingwood had a player 25/30 m out in space for kick in's - they cleared it easy. We never seem to have that easy option.

Richy has lost his sense of dare with kick in's. He rarely takes the risky kick any more and is often to slow bringing the ball back into play.
IMO Rich has lost a bit of power across the last season or so. It's dropped maybe five metres off his longest kicks and a bit of power of his shorter ones. We saw last year quite a few more interceptions early on because of it, which he adjusted for and got out of his game but he definitely plays it safe now because despite being an above average kick I can't call him elite any more.

Last edited:
Richy has lost his sense of dare with kick in's. He rarely takes the risky kick any more and is often to slow bringing the ball back into play. Coleman is much better in this area now.

I noticed quite a few times on Thursday night Collingwood had a player 25/30 m out in space for kick in's - they cleared it easy. We never seem to have that easy option.
And part of that is us giving them that kick by not manning the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back