Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v North in the Adelaide Hills Round 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a very good win against Collingwood we now must continue to approach each game with the same Mindset we had Thursday Night. We have seen that we have the ability to be equal to the best in the league but must have that same mentality and aggression going forward. Happy to go with the same selections for our next game but due to the long season ahead we need to manage our team as we go through the season. At present we have players who are in good form in the VFL with the likes of Lyons, Ah Chee, Matho, Dev, Prior, Fort, Sharp, Tunstill, Rich (Inj), Gardiner (Inj), Fullarton, etc, who need to be given games in the Firsts as the season progresses. We need the smarts in our Selection Department as we go forward and be ready for unfortunate injuries or sickness that may lay ahead. If selections are especially well managed throughout the long season we may go into Finals with a very fit and healthy team.
The club has a fantastic opportunity to do this with the players we have extra who are capable of giving performances when given that chance.

Let's hope so.

It's always hard to make changes after a solid win, and for the most part everyone lifted. Big O still my only concern, just doesn't seem to be connecting with his mids. Would be interesting to see Fort go a full game as #1 ruck, and a game like North or Hawthorn would be a good opportunity to see it (not that I'm seeing any easy wins in the comp this year).

I feel like the other criticisms of Bailey and Linc while having merit have also probably been given different 'team focused' roles this year. Much like I don't think we'll see Neale getting many 30+ possession games with Dunkley and Ashcroft now in - doesn't mean he's lost form, just that our structure is different.

No changes for mine, give Rich and Dizzy another week or come in via ressies. Don't think it's worth putting anyone with recent injuries on a lesser turf.

On second thinking... I wouldn't change the team. Maybe Dev out for Rich to play the sub.

Think the Sub for Rich is perfect for him.

Loving Motty playing backline and at times up the field. the bloke has insane athleticism and got out of trouble numerous times this year. He's slight but seems to be fairly strong core and can weave in and out and break wannabe tackles with ease before pinpointing a pass. We have not had someone like that off the half back since Aker? when he played a season or two there.

Honestly, we are moving the ball much much better out of defence and have tightened up a lot this year.
One thing I've noticed is that last three weeks opposition smalls have had no say in the result of a game. Our small defence brigade has been superb.

Hard to find a spot for Rich starting on field these days.

Rich is effective in kicking down the line to create a contest then we get a stoppage. If our game plan is to run the ball out rather than create a stoppage down the line then I find it hard to bring Rich back in. If we want the stoppage play then he comes in.

I would like to see Joyce get more game time. If needed to come in for finals he needs to be ready.

We’ve all been so focused on the first 4 weeks as supporters as the fixture was going to open up a bit after that month. I hope that hasn’t been the case with the club. If we don’t turn up, or play down to their level (which we have done regularly), we could easily get rolled by an enthusiastic outfit. See the Hawthorn game last year.

In saying that, I’d be very disappointed losing to this mob.
Fagan said in the presser you have to fight for every win.I’m sure he’s passed it on.

Rich is effective in kicking down the line to create a contest then we get a stoppage. If our game plan is to run the ball out rather than create a stoppage down the line then I find it hard to bring Rich back in. If we want the stoppage play then he comes in.

I would like to see Joyce get more game time. If needed to come in for finals he needs to be ready.
Any AFL player can do that, I love what Richy has done throughout his career but IMO we are a better side with him not in it now, his weapons have diminished and his weaknesses have got worse ie. defensive run.

Interesting analysis from yesterday's game:

20230408_115416.png

This is the next iteration of "expected score". The dark blue worm shows the actual margin of the game, while the light blue worm shows the expected score with which we are now more or less familiar.

The grey worm shows the expected score based on where each team STARTED each chain of possession. That is, there is a data point for every single clearance and every single turnover.

What this shows is that North Melbourne had a territorial advantage for much of yesterday's game, just couldn't take advantage. Taking them lightly is one very easy way to allow them that advantage.

Any of our half backs are effective kicking down the line from a kick in.

Any AFL player can do that, I love what Richy has done throughout his career but IMO we are a better side with him not in it now, his weapons have diminished and his weaknesses have got worse ie. defensive run.
I think he can still push further than most albeit not his furthest now. Being able to push it further gives our tall forwards the opportunity to meet it rather than just our wingers and create that stoppage. If that ability is no longer an advantage then yes you are right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting analysis from yesterday's game:

View attachment 1653267

This is the next iteration of "expected score". The dark blue worm shows the actual margin of the game, while the light blue worm shows the expected score with which we are now more or less familiar.

The grey worm shows the expected score based on where each team STARTED each chain of possession. That is, there is a data point for every single clearance and every single turnover.

What this shows is that North Melbourne had a territorial advantage for much of yesterday's game, just couldn't take advantage. Taking them lightly is one very easy way to allow them that advantage.
Would like to see our graph from Thursday night.

I wouldn’t say his weeknesses have got worse, more that his weekness is more exposed these days with a faster game.

We were the best team at scoring from kick ins last season

But but but if Richy isn't hitting 55m bombs to a player in the centre square he's useless!!!

Scoring from kick-ins and being aggressive from kick-ins is obscenely overrated, and not conceding from kick ins is more important.

We were the best team at scoring from kick ins last season
As you stated... that was last season. Just like Rich was 7th in the BnF. etc etc...
Big O was also top 10 in BnF yet considering he's not your pet like Rich is I find it amusing you never throw that useless statement forward when others talk of Big O's cons. If anything you're the driver of the flog Big O train around here.

On second thinking... I wouldn't change the team. Maybe Dev out for Rich to play the sub.

Think the Sub for Rich is perfect for him.

Loving Motty playing backline and at times up the field. the bloke has insane athleticism and got out of trouble numerous times this year. He's slight but seems to be fairly strong core and can weave in and out and break wannabe tackles with ease before pinpointing a pass. We have not had someone like that off the half back since Aker? when he played a season or two there.

Honestly, we are moving the ball much much better out of defence and have tightened up a lot this year.
One thing I've noticed is that last three weeks opposition smalls have had no say in the result of a game. Our small defence brigade has been superb.

Hard to find a spot for Rich starting on field these days.

Kozzy didn't play though.
He's usually a pain in the arse for us.

It's always hard to make changes after a solid win, and for the most part everyone lifted. Big O still my only concern, just doesn't seem to be connecting with his mids. Would be interesting to see Fort go a full game as #1 ruck, and a game like North or Hawthorn would be a good opportunity to see it (not that I'm seeing any easy wins in the comp this year).

I feel like the other criticisms of Bailey and Linc while having merit have also probably been given different 'team focused' roles this year. Much like I don't think we'll see Neale getting many 30+ possession games with Dunkley and Ashcroft now in - doesn't mean he's lost form, just that our structure is different.

No changes for mine, give Rich and Dizzy another week or come in via ressies. Don't think it's worth putting anyone with recent injuries on a lesser turf.
Here you go some facts for the uneducated Oscar two times Players Player. Top ten two years in a row. The club biggest work horse out in the field playing his role for the win sacrifices his game for others. Doesn’t worries about stats only his role. It is not his fault that at times the midfielders get caught flat footed! By the way Thursday night 13 hitouts to advantage and 11 clearances that is 24 decisive wins out 43 hitouts. Fort is good but only as a back up. Don’t forget he played the same reserves team with no recognised ruckman and should have done more if he was put under the same scrutiny.
You can have opinions and Pets I respect that.
As a wise man said be careful what you wish for. Dan Mcstay a great demonstration of that!!!!

Here you go some facts for the uneducated Oscar two times Players Player. Top ten two years in a row. The club biggest work horse out in the field playing his role for the win sacrifices his game for others. Doesn’t worries about stats only his role. It is not his fault that at times the midfielders get caught flat footed! By the way Thursday night 13 hitouts to advantage and 11 clearances that is 24 decisive wins out 43 hitouts. Fort is good but only as a back up. Don’t forget he played the same reserves team with no recognised ruckman and should have done more if he was put under the same scrutiny.
You can have opinions and Pets I respect that.
As a wise man said be careful what you wish for. Dan Mcstay a great demonstration of that!!!!
I love Oscar but despite what the stats say and the love he got after the game his ruckwork was terrible in the first half (imo) and you could see us starting to get on top whenever Daniher was in there.

He improved later in the game when his physical dominance was a factor and he started to bunt it forward.

As far as his role and scarifices go we all agree ,fantastic clubman , what he's been able to do with his ability praiseworthy , but as a ruckman he's only average. IMO.

Yeah Fort was quite possibly BoG in the VFL this week against no ruck oppo, and looked much better then Oscar.

Over the years Fort has clearly looked the better center circle tap ruckman, but probably a little worse around the ground and then both are pretty hand up forward.

check out Forts ruck masterclass in the VFL. The number of times he tapped straight down Lyons throat was unreal.
Both should be in the side, particularly Lyons. He is a gun and unlike last year, he is not carrying an injury. Fagan needs to forget about giving midfield minutes to McCluggage and McCarthy and reward outstanding form in the reserves from a seasoned campaigner. The stats don’t lie.

CC3F34F8-B583-4BC9-8EC8-FA6681501063.png
Mathieson’s performance was amazing too. Forget Rich, who is cooked, how about we elevate some form players into roles we desperately need filled. At the very least, get Lyons into the seniors.

Both should be in the side, particularly Lyons. He is a gun and unlike last year, he is not carrying an injury. Fagan needs to forget about giving midfield minutes to McCluggage and McCarthy and reward outstanding form in the reserves from a seasoned campaigner. The stats don’t lie.

View attachment 1653698
Mathieson’s performance was amazing too. Forget Rich, who is cooked, how about we elevate some form players into roles we desperately need filled. At the very least, get Lyons into the seniors.

Amazing throwback to quoting fantasy scores as a reason why McStay needed to be dropped

Yeah Fort was quite possibly BoG in the VFL this week against no ruck oppo, and looked much better then Oscar.

Over the years Fort has clearly looked the better center circle tap ruckman, but probably a little worse around the ground and then both are pretty hand up forward.

Means absolutely nothing in context of whether he's better than O or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back