Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v North in the Adelaide Hills Round 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

berry should play a role on davies-uniacke. their midfield quality falls off a cliff after him and the north v freo game showed what he can do if left unimpeded
George Wardlaw must be getting close to a debut, a few draft pundits had him rivalling Ashcroft as the best player in the draft.

On a rural ground that looks like in the middle of not much else in what could potentially be testing conditions I'd be inclined to consider Lyons. Not sure where he'd fit in , just my impression of how these rural games have been played overall the last few years.
How about we play him in the middle? I am amazed at how quickly people are discounting Lyons contribution to our rise as a club since 2019. In combination with Lachie Neale, Lyons turned our midfield around and helped make us one of the most potent teams in the competition at stoppages and restarts. There has been a distinct lack of respect accorded to Lyons, particularly given his consistency and performance in big games. Since 2019 he has been one of our most consistent players, as evidenced by his performance in our Best and Fairest:

2019: 4th
2020: 2nd
2021: 1st

2022 was a tough year for Lyons, playing while carrying an injury and eventually rested for the finals. That said, he still averaged 22 disposals a game. Free from injury and back in form, with 40 disposals in his last game in the reserves, Lyons more than deserves to be back in the side and back in the middle. With Neale, Dunkley and Lyons as the core of our midfield rotation, we would just about be unstoppable in the middle.

I don't think any player should be dropped/replaced from the Pies game. So, no changes for me.
It was the best team effort so far this year.

Waiting in the wings A-Z. If any unknown injuries pop up, then someone will gain a spot.

Ah Chee - He covers a few positions Def, Wing, & Forward. McCarthy & Bailey mentioned by a few posters, but they did their job and stay.
Answerth - No one for his position yet.
Fort - I believe we are a faster & better team with one ruck. Also, Jo overall plays better when involved. So, Oscar over Fort.
Gardiner - I am not sold on Joyce but he has been solid. Holds his spot till Gardiner proved fitness in the VFL.
Lyons - I thought he would come in last week for Fort. They decided on Prior and i would not drop Prior on his performance.
It is good for Lyons to get a reminder that the team is hard to get out of once you are in it.
Rich - No one in his defense spot should be dropped for him this week.
Robertson - No spot for him so he plays VFL this week. No point in being sub again. He needs some game time but in the VFL.

Fringe players outside the above being - Cockatoo, Fullarton, Madden, Mathieson, Sharp, Tunstill + the inexperienced players.

If Larkey doesn't get up then they may go small in the forward line and just leave Comben as the only tall. Larkey was limping around against Carlton. I'd prefer to keep Joyce and Payne next to Andrews but this may be a game where we can rotate defense a little.

This is also a game where we could look at playing 2 rucks and stretch their undersized defense. Corr + Logue/Bonar might find it hard if we park Fort or Big O on goal square with Daniher / Hipwood leading away.

Mine was HK Monaro metalic blue named Barney...........still upset I sold it for a new 4.1 Cortina in 78.
We all have done things we regret.

I had my 240 resprayed and all rust removed but the panel beater doing the job fell in love with the car and offered a ridiculous price for it.

The cash was handy but the car was a classic.

How about we play him in the middle? I am amazed at how quickly people are discounting Lyons contribution to our rise as a club since 2019. In combination with Lachie Neale, Lyons turned our midfield around and helped make us one of the most potent teams in the competition at stoppages and restarts. There has been a distinct lack of respect accorded to Lyons, particularly given his consistency and performance in big games. Since 2019 he has been one of our most consistent players, as evidenced by his performance in our Best and Fairest:

2019: 4th
2020: 2nd
2021: 1st

2022 was a tough year for Lyons, playing while carrying an injury and eventually rested for the finals. That said, he still averaged 22 disposals a game. Free from injury and back in form, with 40 disposals in his last game in the reserves, Lyons more than deserves to be back in the side and back in the middle. With Neale, Dunkley and Lyons as the core of our midfield rotation, we would just about be unstoppable in the middle.
I can't really comment on the lack of respect but I don't think anyone would question his contribution to our rise as a club.

Luke Hodge was considerable to our improvement, but we're not going to play him on a HBF this week.

Unfortunately for Lyons, there are better options at the moment. A midfield of Neale, Dunkley, Lyons would also be far too slow at present.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think any player should be dropped/replaced from the Pies game. So, no changes for me.
It was the best team effort so far this year.

Waiting in the wings A-Z. If any unknown injuries pop up, then someone will gain a spot.

Ah Chee - He covers a few positions Def, Wing, & Forward. McCarthy & Bailey mentioned by a few posters, but they did their job and stay.
Answerth - No one for his position yet.
Fort - I believe we are a faster & better team with one ruck. Also, Jo overall plays better when involved. So, Oscar over Fort.
Gardiner - I am not sold on Joyce but he has been solid. Holds his spot till Gardiner proved fitness in the VFL.
Lyons - I thought he would come in last week for Fort. They decided on Prior and i would not drop Prior on his performance.
It is good for Lyons to get a reminder that the team is hard to get out of once you are in it.
Rich - No one in his defense spot should be dropped for him this week.
Robertson - No spot for him so he plays VFL this week. No point in being sub again. He needs some game time but in the VFL.

Fringe players outside the above being - Cockatoo, Fullarton, Madden, Mathieson, Sharp, Tunstill + the inexperienced players.
Darragh Joyce has surprised me, looks like a solid dependable KPD, I may have missed it but I can not recall him making a glaring clanger against the Pies ... Caveat is I didn't, haven't and wont be watching the Bulldogs game.

We all have done things we regret.

I had my 240 resprayed and all rust removed but the panel beater doing the job fell in love with the car and offered a ridiculous price for it.

The cash was handy but the car was a classic.
Amen to that, I regret having too much to drink on my 21st birthday and following days in 1980 and what ensued in the following aftermath.

I can't really comment on the lack of respect but I don't think anyone would question his contribution to our rise as a club.

Luke Hodge was considerable to our improvement, but we're not going to play him on a HBF this week.

Unfortunately for Lyons, there are better options at the moment. A midfield of Neale, Dunkley, Lyons would also be far too slow at present.
I’m sorry to break this to you Warwick, but Luke Hodge retired a couple of seasons ago.

Amen to that, I regret having too much to drink on my 21st birthday and following days in 1980 and what ensued in the following aftermath.
I regret not going to see Echo and the Bunnymen when they toured in 1981

George Wardlaw must be getting close to a debut, a few draft pundits had him rivalling Ashcroft as the best player in the draft.

Call me jaded but mostly I saw that opinion from Cal “Does Ashcroft Nominate?” Twomey after Ashcroft had already nominated, as he had no reason to keep pumping up the tires of someone that wouldn’t be going to a Victorian club.

I’m sure he’ll be a great player, but I see right through Cal’s bullshit

Mine was HK Monaro metalic blue named Barney...........still upset I sold it for a new 4.1 Cortina in 78.
54’ FJ Holden for me.
Bought it in 88’ sold it in 2013.
Probably should have hung onto it because it would fetch atleast 30-40k more now.
Similar to this one.
1681013125187.jpeg

Call me jaded but mostly I saw that opinion from Cal “Does Ashcroft Nominate?” Twomey after Ashcroft had already nominated, as he had no reason to keep pumping up the tires of someone that wouldn’t be going to a Victorian club.

I’m sure he’ll be a great player, but I see right through Cal’s bullshit
Most/All of the RMC draft watchers rated Wardlaw higher.

First game of last seasons NAB league was Oakleigh v Sandringham, and Wardlaw clearly outplayed Ashcroft (pretty sure that was mentioned in the draft video, and I’m sure Ashcroft mentioned that in his interview with Twomey, as part of his motivation to keep improving last year).

Wardlaw missed most of last season due to multiple hamstring injuries, but he played the two U18 national academy games in the same team as Ashcroft, and the one game against Ashcroft, and Wardlaw was bog in each game.

Darragh Joyce has surprised me, looks like a solid dependable KPD, I may have missed it but I can not recall him making a glaring clanger against the Pies ... Caveat is I didn't, haven't and wont be watching the Bulldogs game.
Agree, Joyce has been solid down back and has filled that 3rd KPD spot. Gardiner can't be ready yet, so i think he stays for now.

Seeing you won't be watching the Dogs game Joyce did give away 5 free kicks that game.
Not sure if any resulted in a goal but most likely 1 or more did, directly or indirectly.

Joyce only gave away 1 free in each of his other 2 games being Demons & Pies.

Agree, Joyce has been solid down back and has filled that 3rd KPD spot. Gardiner can't be ready yet, so i think he stays for now.

Seeing you won't be watching the Dogs game Joyce did give away 5 free kicks that game.
Not sure if any resulted in a goal but most likely 1 or more did, directly or indirectly.

Joyce only gave away 1 free in each of his other 2 games being Demons & Pies.
Joyce was the victim of the “Jamarra, we (the AFL) will wrap our arms around you, make up game” unfortunately.

Jamarra only had run in to Joyce, or push off Joyce, and the umps whistled for a free kick to Jamarra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back