Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v Port Adelaide Round 7 @ The Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In J.Berry Mathieson
Out Gardiner Neale

Maybe Tom Berry for Prior as well with Prior to switch to med sub?

I really hope Matho gets a chance out of this. I think people will be surprised how much he steps up and how well he plays with an extended run back in the seniors. He will be very, very hungry.

Not sure about Matho, I'd be tempted to give Deven an extended run in the middle and stick Keidean / Tom Berry up forward. This might be Deven's opportunity to show what he can do with consistent midfield time next to Lyons.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How much more time at centre bounces does Clug get? He’s killing it with the current mix of wing and on ball but might be time to move him permanently inside.
I prefer Hugh on the wing.
Not sure we want to turn arguably the best winger in the AFL into an inside/outside mid at this point in time
He gets some time in the middle and that may increase slightly with Neale out
I don't have the weekend CBA but below is McCluggage Centre Bounce Attendances from round 1
Round 1 : 0 CBA
Round 2 : 1 CBA
Round 3 : 4 CBA
Round 4 : 2 CBA
Round 5 : 6 CBA

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No point pretending Neale's surgery isn't really bad news for our chances this year even though he hadn't been a strong factor in the games so far except the one we won by 10 goals.

But out of bad circumstances comes opportunity and we'll see what others are made of.

I wonder how far away CEY is. I don't rate him on what I've seen but someone saw something they liked at some point. Matho we know what he brings , this could be the biggest opportunity in his career.

I gotta be honest I don't think our M/F stocks are that great with Neale and Rayner out possibly for the year and Berry likely unavailable.

Let's hope Oscar stays in one piece . Stef has made a big difference to the Dogs this year . We have a plan with Daniher , I'm not totally sold on him doing considerable time in the ruck but for this week at least he can bring more grunt into the M/F ,especially if he shows the oomph he did with that air kick off the ground which was paid kicking in danger even though no one was near him.

Just announced on the First Crack show on Fox-Footy now
Lachie Neale to miss 6-8 weeks with that ankle injury and will have surgery on it as soon as possible :cryv1:

Last edited:

SonnyBoy1

Senior List
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Silver lining to the Neale injury is Mathieson should get a good chance to play, I remember when he first started off his was ahead of Parish, so hopefully he can try get to a similar level to him.

Good chance to see what this team is made of, we're not the Lachie Neale football club.

2021 is shaping up to be a defining year for us and it's exciting. Plus he'll be back well before the finals.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
If Beastmode doesn't get a game this week, I fear he will be out the door at season's end

That would be a real shame.

My impression of him ,with limited opportunities over the years is that he always been a more than useful contributor and has also popped up with a useful goal or two.

If Beastmode doesn't get a game this week, I fear he will be out the door at season's end

That would be a real shame.

My impression of him ,with limited opportunities over the years is that he always been a more than useful contributor and has also popped up with a useful goal or two.

Yeah, bif he doesn't get a game this week then Fagan and Co. Have pretty much crossed him off. Would be a damn shame for him not to get one last opportunity - particularly as he looks incredibly fit which was always one of his big drawbacks.

Whilst Matho may likely replace Neale Cockatoo has the size and class to be a good replacement. Not sure on his fitness or level of match connection with the other midfielders.

If Ely has overcome his ankle injury he could replace Robinson.

I would be playing the bigger bodies against Port, Prior to miss.

Would not be playing CEY

(Log in to remove this ad.)

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Next 6 games at least without Lachie, I'd be reasonably happy if we come out of it with 3 wins >

Port Adelaide @ Gabba.
Fremantle @ Perth.
Suns @ Metricon.
Richmond @ Gabba.
Giants @ Gabba.
Melbourne @ Darwin.

Ollie Wines has been in terrific form, worried he could do a Cripps2019version on us Saturday night.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Whilst Matho may likely replace Neale Cockatoo has the size and class to be a good replacement. Not sure on his fitness or level of match connection with the other midfielders.

If Ely has overcome his ankle injury he could replace Robinson.

I would be playing the bigger bodies against Port, Prior to miss.

Would not be playing CEY

Cockatoo seems a long way off. Ely would be unlikely.

Cockatoo seems a long way off. Ely would be unlikely.

Geez massive test of our midfield depth not to mention the challenge of replacing Gardiner.

Perhaps McCarthy to play some midfield time with Coleman coming in up forward. McCarthy has been excellent up forward so would be a bit reluctant to move him from there.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Silver lining to the Neale injury is Mathieson should get a good chance to play, I remember when he first started off his was ahead of Parish, so hopefully he can try get to a similar level to him.
Matho was never ahead of Parish.

In their draft year, Parish was always talked about as a top 10 pick.

Matho was talked about as a late first, early second round pick, but slid after a poor showing at the draft combine.

I prefer Hugh on the wing.
Not sure we want to turn arguably the best winger in the AFL into an inside/outside mid at this point in time
He gets some time in the middle and that may increase slightly with Neale out
I don't have the weekend CBA but below is McCluggage Centre Bounce Attendances from round 1
Round 1 : 0 CBA
Round 2 : 1 CBA
Round 3 : 4 CBA
Round 4 : 2 CBA
Round 5 : 6 CBA

Where do you access this data?

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Matho been in form in the 2's and I say for me was BOG for us on the weekend only playing a half :(
Not sure he a direct replacement for Neale.
Although be interesting if we go with him or a kid or a reshuffle. or CEY who came to us as a inside mid

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Matho been in form in the 2's and I say for me was BOG for us on the weekend only playing a half :(
Not sure he a direct replacement for Neale.
Although be interesting if we go with him or a kid or a reshuffle. or CEY who came to us as a inside mid

If we had a direct replacement for Neale they would have already been in the 22 alongside him.

We can’t replace him, we have to adapt.

I am not big on Matho but it seems he has done everything asked of him this season.

If we had a direct replacement for Neale they would have already been in the 22 alongside him.

We can’t replace him, we have to adapt.

I am not big on Matho but it seems he has done everything asked of him this season.

I'm in the same boat - he was firmly in the "won't get a game" category for me, but his VFL work looked like a man posessed to get another opportunity and was honestly surprised. If he gets the opportunity, I hope he takes it with both hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back