Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v Port, Round 17.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always loved Lester - anyone who tries their guts out 100% effort 100% of the time, regardless of their limitations is exactly the sort of person we want at the club. So yeah, Lester staying in is my vote too.

Port are a worry this week, for sure - let's not start hoping their yo-yo form continues and recall the struggle we had in Round 3 against them. However, we play them pretty well down there (recall last year's Round 3 game which we nearly nicked) and they have issues with Lycett who has been massive for them over the last few weeks. Stef to have another good game as sole ruck is a win for us.

Hip played out the game, will be sore.....but they wouldn't have let him run the game out if there was risk of further damage, so I think he'll play. If not, I'd go with either O or Walker to play as a forward.

Adams looked a kick behind the game but will be better for the run, so if he plays I'm happy with that - he's a big unit and that counts for something. Again, if the coaches think he needs time in the ressies, Walker would be the go to for mine.

Our back 6-8 is pretty settled and is one of our strengths so the fewer changes down there, the better.

And the Sausages prediction?

LIONS BY 4 GOALS :D (mainly due, funnily enough, to a little bloke called Answerth who wasn't around in Round 3 but is a great match up for any of their small forwards)

Spot on. Lester is a much underrated footballer and a true leader. The standards of fitness and professionalism he brings to the club are what everyone must aspire to. He is great for the young players in that regard especially.
He is also one of those guys that welcomes new draftees into the club and have them move in with him and his wife when they first move to Brisbane and integrate them into Brisbane, the club, professional standards etc. and he did it with Noah Answerth when he first came up to Brisbane and helped him settle.

I appreciate that Noah may have had his own high standards and professionalism, but it was interesting listening to James Madden on the Roar Deal when he was talking about having moved in with Answerth and either Joyce or Starcevich and he (Madden) spoke about how professional Noah was with everything he did (nutrition, sleep etc.) and I couldn’t help but think that Noah learned a lot from Lester about standards etc.

Either way, our club is producing a lot of solid citizens which is a long way from previous years.

Lester is great to have at the club but he's not best 22. The way he's been playing he's definitely close and Hodge's retirement will free up a spot but unfortunately his athleticism lets him down.

Surprised to see so many pump him up after Himmelberg kicked 4. I don't think he played a bad game and the matchup didn't suit him but he didn't win his position. Still worries me when he has the footy and he's definitely not damaging.

I think others and myself mentioned this earlier in the year, but having only one of Matho or Lyons in the side does a lot for our speed. We were out-ran earlier in the year by a lot of teams, and I feel like losing a pure inside player and bringing in Rayner and McCarthy into the midfield has added some explosiveness. Granted Bailey and Answerth also are great runners, I still think it’s been a good choice.

I think Adams will go back eventually, but it was right to play him forward with Lester in great form, and we couldn’t have afforded to have a back having an off day yesterday. Adams may get unlucky if Oscar is returning, but Hipwood may also be our so who knows.

I say don’t change a winning formula, unless O is 100%.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

For the Power Scott Lycett will be out with a knee injury and Travis Boak was a late withdrawal for the showdown with back spasms.

Lester is great to have at the club but he's not best 22. The way he's been playing he's definitely close and Hodge's retirement will free up a spot but unfortunately his athleticism lets him down.

Surprised to see so many pump him up after Himmelberg kicked 4. I don't think he played a bad game and the matchup didn't suit him but he didn't win his position. Still worries me when he has the footy and he's definitely not damaging.
You really don’t know much about football do you? Lester has had his best month of football and Fagan has been picking him every week, but somehow Lester isn’t best 22. Then to compound your lack of insight, you propose dropping Lester next week and playing Adams in his place. A bloke who has plenty of up side, but who was rusty as and our least well performed player. Seriously?? Finally you say that Lester’s athleticism, his absolute strength, is letting him down. What glib nonsense. I’ve just finished watching the match again and Lester played a great game. If you are pushed for time, just watch the third quarter - Lester was sensational.

You sook and complain about me and others potting McStay and then do exactly the same thing yourself in terms of Lester. At least Dylan12 and I will give credit where it is due. Open your eyes. Fagan singled our defence out for praise in the post match and I reckon he thinks each one of those defenders is BEST 22.

Also you are just plain wrong about Lester being Himmelberg’s opponent. Then trying to make Lester responsible for Himmelberg’s four goals is just dishonest. Again, watch the replay. Lester spent much of the game on Toby Green. Andrews and Gardiner spent almost all of the game on Himmelberg and Cameron, eventually settling for Gardiner on Cameron and Andrews on Himmelburg. Word of advice, you don’t do yourself any favours when you just make stuff up.

Last edited:
Who do we start hoping to lose now? Top 4 teams or teams around the 8. If GWS (around 4) plays Port (around 8) as a hypothetical who would we want to win?

For me its definitely teams around the 8 and fringes rather than the top 4-5. I just want us to make finals and anything that helps that is a positive IMO. I guess not becoming a member and supporter until about 2007/08 has left me just wanting another taste of finals and I don't really care if its top 4 or bottom 4. So I will be and still am wanting those teams around the 8 to lose. The pies may be the only ones I would have a hard time supporting against one of those teams. that would be a test.

Jackass I said the same thing (basically) on the review thread. His lack of pace doesn't get shown up as much( but look early in the first quarter) because we are the hunters now, not the hunted.

You really don’t know much about football do you? Lester has had his best month of football and Fagan has been picking him every week, but somehow Lester isn’t best 22. Then to compound your lack of insight, you propose dropping Lester next week and playing Adams in his place. A bloke who has plenty of up side, but who was rusty as and our least well performed player. Seriously?? Finally you say that Lester’s athleticism, his absolute strength, is letting him down. What glib nonsense. I’ve just finished watching the match again and Lester played a great game. If you are pushed for time, just watch the third quarter - Lester was sensational.

You sook and complain about me and others potting McStay and then do exactly the same thing yourself in terms of Lester. At least Dylan12 and I will give credit where it is due. Open your eyes. Fagan singled our defence out for praise in the post match and I reckon he thinks each one of those defenders is BEST 22.

Also you are just plain wrong about Lester being Himmelberg’s opponent. Then trying to make Lester responsible for Himmelberg’s four goals is just dishonest. Again, watch the replay. Lester spent much of the game on Toby Green. Andrews and Gardiner spent almost all of the game on Himmelberg and Cameron, eventually settling for Gardiner on Cameron and Andrews on Himmelburg. Word of advice, you don’t do yourself any favours when you just make stuff up.
To reinforce Lester being best 22; Fagan is selecting him with just about a full list to choose from. Sure, an argument could be made that Lester is a placeholder until someone returns from injury / suspension, but he’s not, so he is best 22 for a top 4 team, not sure how anyone could argue otherwise, unless you’re being obstinate.

Paid a visit to the Power board. Interestingly a few of them either want Motlop dropped for Boak or SPP. From memory SPP created hell for us up at the Gabba earlier in the year. So yes please drop SPP. Please do!

Paid a visit to the Power board. Interestingly a few of them either want Motlop dropped for Boak or SPP. From memory SPP created hell for us up at the Gabba earlier in the year. So yes please drop SPP. Please do!

But SPPs awful kicking into their forward 50 helped us rebound and win. Happy for him to play lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand the love for Lester but in my view he has limitations which he has done his level best to eradicate.

I think he played his role yesterday but I couldn't at all go along with him being in the best players. It seemed to me he was on Himmelberg mostly , not that he was responsible for a couple of the goals . He did a few things that don't show up on the stats sheet . He's a cog in the wheel who can do a job for you and be relied on to give his best. But I think people are getting carried away with his impact on the field.

As to Adams I don't know what people expected of him but having played 2 soft games in however how long the selection committee obviously decided to get some match fitness into him.

He had a little trouble adjusting to the tempo of the game and his timing but the guy is a unit with pace and athleticism.

I said it with McCarthy and the same with Adams ,he'll be a gun with a few games under his belt. Maybe not this year but certainly next . He's had a very interrupted preparation.

As to Adams I don't know what people expected of him but having played 2 soft games in however how long the selection committee obviously decided to get some match fitness into him.

He had a little trouble adjusting to the tempo of the game and his timing but the guy is a unit with pace and athleticism.

I said it with McCarthy and the same with Adams ,he'll be a gun with a few games under his belt. Maybe not this year but certainly next . He's had a very interrupted preparation.

Yeah its hard to drop a player after one game. I would be keen to keep him in. I like our depth here at the moment and I wonder how the match selection committee will use the depth for the North game at home after back to back away games in the worst time slot when being the away team and noting this late resurgence from the kangas.

Be interesting what happens with Big O. Do we leave him out a extra week?
If hipwood not right do we go Skinner or Wooler?
Lester is being groomed to be Hodge mk2 although can we play both. Answerth helps with his speed.
The interesting one is Witho if we keep playing Bailey/Answerth do we move him up the ground? He is less defence then both of them body on body. I think we have to fit Starc in at sometime so who is it?
Not a bad spot to be pressure on spots.

McCarthy into the mid now he built up his run pushes Matho out. Lyons has Matho spot we tried both a few times. Has McCarthy/Rayner/Cameron tag team taken it now?
Bundy looks to be playing lock down role in forward line.

Adams as everyone says will get better with runs in the firsts. Hopefully not too long.

Back to the original question if we bring on Big O and Hippy plays. You think Bailey or Lester be unlucky. Unless it is Bundy and Bailey plays that role

What a difference it is top 4 basically no injuries and pressure on only 2-4 spots

Might be the right time to give Hodgey a rest.
He really copped a decent whack.

Witherden is an interesting one . I'm not sure if he's really good or just so so. He's been there all year and anchored a spot . I know they think he can play up the field in time . Bailey has a lot more toe and maybe more upside but as you say it's great having choices

Witherden is an interesting one . I'm not sure if he's really good or just so so. He's been there all year and anchored a spot . I know they think he can play up the field in time . Bailey has a lot more toe and maybe more upside but as you say it's great having choices
Wouldn't surpise to hear Hodge has a crack in the rib after that hit from Cameron. Just think that with the road trip this week and some matches at home to follow that he might be rested so he hopefully can play out the rest of the year. He will be vitally important in the finals.

Wouldn't surpise to hear Hodge has a crack in the rib after that hit from Cameron. Just think that with the road trip this week and some matches at home to follow that he might be rested so he hopefully can play out the rest of the year. He will be vitally important in the finals.

You'd expect it'll be tough for Hodgey to do much training this week

I'm no expert but I can't remember Witho being badly beaten defensively in the last two months. He's probably had a bit less of the footy but I think his defensive efforts have improved a lot. Bailey is playing more up the field and I think that suits him for the moment with ANSWERTH locking up a spot down back.

Lester's done really well playing on larger opponents, but he does get exposed at some point every week in marking contests. It feels weird to go from being one of his few fans on here to telling people he hasn't been that good. For me he only stays in if Hodge needs a week off, we'll probably need Adams in the backline because Dixon's too big for Gardiner to handle and ideally we don't want Andrews stuck at full back all day. I'm sure the staff knew Adams would be a bit off the pace when they picked him, it's hard to see him going straight back out if Oscar's ok.

If Hodge needs a rest I'd leave him out and bring Oscar in, moving Adams to the backline. If Hipwood is sore and the rumours of Cox being out for the rest of the year are true, I'd be very tempted to give Fullarton a game. If not him and we're happy to play smaller, Wooller would be great to see debut.

Last edited:
If Hodge needs a rest I'd leave him out and bring Adams in. If Hipwood is sore and the rumours of Cox being out for the rest of the year are true, I'd be very tempted to give Fullarton a game. If not him and we're happy to play smaller, Wooller would be great to see debut.
Do you mean Oscar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back