Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v Port, Round 17.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
If the Big O is right to go I'd say he comes in for Marcus Adams unless Hippys knee needs a spell.

In- Oscar McInerney.
Out- Marcus Adams/Eric Hipwood.

Key match ups-

Harris Andrews > Charlie Dixon.
Mitch Robinson/Jarrod Berry > Robbie Gray.

Other than that we should back our team structure to get on top of them.

If Oscar is fit either play him inside of McStay, Adams or Lester. Most likely Lester and Adams plays down back. Or Hipwood if he can’t play.

If Oscar and Hipwood are injured then maybe Payne plays down back. Or Walker forward.

If Hodge is out then I’d consider Payne and let Gardiner play small.

Only make a change if Oscar is fit and/or someone is injure.

My preference;

Oscar for Lester and switch Adams down back.

If Oscar is fit either play him inside of McStay, Adams or Lester. Most likely Lester and Adams plays down back. Or Hipwood if he can’t play.

If Oscar and Hipwood are injured then maybe Payne plays down back. Or Walker forward.

If Hodge is out then I’d consider Payne and let Gardiner play small.

Only make a change if Oscar is fit and/or someone is injure.

My preference;

Oscar for Lester and switch Adams down back.

Yeah if Hippy and Oscar good to go then Oscar in Lester unlucky out.

If Oscar and Hippy out Ryan holds his spot and Skinner in for Hippy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A lot hinges on how Hipwood pulls up and the outcome of his scans.

I dare say that Eric will be a very sore boy come tomorrow, so if McInerney is right, I'd just be swapping those two.

I wasn't concerned with Martin being on his own today, but if Eric is out, McInerney offers a lot as a full forward to, so changes are fairly minimal for mine.

A lot hinges on how Hipwood pulls up and the outcome of his scans.

I dare say that Eric will be a very sore boy come tomorrow, so if McInerney is right, I'd just be swapping those two.

I wasn't concerned with Martin being on his own today, but if Eric is out, McInerney offers a lot as a full forward to, so changes are fairly minimal for mine.
Not really. Barely offers a goal a game. If he can get those contested marks around the game he is valuable.I actually preferred this lineup than Oscar being in the team. Think Adam will offer more as a forward that Big O

Not really. Barely offers a goal a game. If he can get those contested marks around the game he is valuable.I actually preferred this lineup than Oscar being in the team. Think Adam will offer more as a forward that Big O

Big O offers so much, not just forward but in the ruck and those get out marks down the line coming out of defence. Those are invaluable.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A full forwards doesn’t just have to kick goals to add value to the side. Oscar would bring all the other into the game especially Cameron, Rayner and Linc to get the ground ball if he doesn’t clunk it

A full forwards doesn’t just have to kick goals to add value to the side. Oscar would bring all the other into the game especially Cameron, Rayner and Linc to get the ground ball if he doesn’t clunk it
Thats basically McStays job tho. We only need 1 of those types of forwards, if we can get another clunking marks down the line while also contributing goals it would be beneficial. I like Oscar but feel it is better having the 1 ruck and 1 forward contributing rlief ruck rather than 2 rucks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port have been alternating wins with losses so hopfully we should be good.

Next week is Port's "off" week .

Also they play a similar style to GWS's run and gun game and we know how we completely shut that down today.

About the only mistake we can make I think, is to fall into the trap of playing some of our guys whose fitness might be suspect

We have some real depth in our squad, so I'd rather see us play a fully fit 22 and rely on our game plan than play 50 to 80 percent fit players.

We just finished the game and are going to have a few sore guys by the time we're well into next week. Hodgey could have a decent corky.

Likewise it's really hard to get a line on how anyone in the 2's will stand up to real pressure because they're not tested in it.

Importantly we don't yet know if Oscar is good to go either.

See who's fit enough to play . If Oscar's good he comes in , you'd have to think we might have at least one forced out.

The only one in the 2's pressing for selection I'd be confident of giving a good account is Payne . We also have Matho and Basti to fall back on for harder bodies . I think Adams showed enough today.

Lester is not going to get dropped. Adams was our lowest ranked player today and while he tried, he looked rusty and struggled with the pace of the game. Lester of the other hand, has had a really great month of football and the defence looks very settled. There is no way Fagan is going to mess with that.

People are getting miles ahead of themselves with Adams.

Who do we start hoping to lose now? Top 4 teams or teams around the 8. If GWS (around 4) plays Port (around 8) as a hypothetical who would we want to win?

Almost getting to the not giving a stuff what other teams do stage

If we keep rolling on like we are, other results won't matter.

Our destiny is in our own hands

For the first time in almost a decade we are really, genuinely good. I know this to be true because I get this perverse sense of dread about 24 hours before each game.

Not because I think we are going to cop a hiding like the bad old days but because now I really fear losing . I haven't had that dread of losing since about mid 2005.

That's how I measure my expectation.

Each win is not only euphoria but relief.

Lester is not going to get dropped. Adams was our lowest ranked player today and while he tried, he looked rusty and struggled with the pace of the game. Lester of the other hand, has had a really great month of football and the defence looks very settled. There is no way Fagan is going to mess with that.

In my mind Lester now has his nose in front of Witho....similar pace but hungrier, stronger and more experienced.

In my mind Lester now has his nose in front of Witho....similar pace but hungrier, stronger and more experienced.
Lester has solidified his spot and is an absolute lock and rightfully so too. Couldn’t agree more that he’s probably edged past Witherden and further, earned himself more years at the club. I reckon it’d have to be his best year at the club or go close to anyway. He’s assured and a rock steady influence with our stingy defensive unit. Credit to him too.

Lester has solidified his spot and is an absolute lock and rightfully so too. Couldn’t agree more that he’s probably edged past Witherden and further, earned himself more years at the club. I reckon it’d have to be his best year at the club or go close to anyway. He’s assured and a rock steady influence with our stingy defensive unit. Credit to him too.
Lester is the thinking mans footballer and that is why each year he has improved. Gets the most out of himself. Not the most talented but jeez does he work hard on his game. What every flag team needs in spades.

100% agree. No knock on Witherden though, I just think Lester’s size and versatility makes him more important. With Answerth coming on, our backline is now totally settled with Andrews, Gardiner, Lester, Answerth, Rich, Hodge and Witherden and Bailey as our very best defensive unit, with players rotating off the bench and occasionally getting forward.

Almost getting to the not giving a stuff what other teams do stage

If we keep rolling on like we are, other results won't matter.

Our destiny is in our own hands

For the first time in almost a decade we are really, genuinely good. I know this to be true because I get this perverse sense of dread about 24 hours before each game.

Not because I think we are going to cop a hiding like the bad old days but because now I really fear losing . I haven't had that dread of losing since about mid 2005.

That's how I measure my expectation.

Each win is not only euphoria but relief.
I’m really enjoying your posting this season Luthor. You are having a great year and have summed it up beautifully too with this post.

Lester will never be the flashiest player, but I think Lester is half of the hodge replacement. He and Andrews seem to direct a lot of play and without hodge they will run the backline show next year.

Lester will never be the flashiest player, but I think Lester is half of the hodge replacement. He and Andrews seem to direct a lot of play and without hodge they will run the backline show next year.
Spot on. Lester is a much underrated footballer and a true leader. The standards of fitness and professionalism he brings to the club are what everyone must aspire to. He is great for the young players in that regard especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back