Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v Port, Round 17.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
O for Hippy is the obvious one. Then come the ifs.

If the O and Hippy both don't come up I'd bring in Toby Wooller leaving him Adams and McStay as the 3 talls, a bonus is Toby can do stints in the midfield. I love Sam Skinner and he's been through a lot with injury but from my viewing he doesn't look ready for seniors yet.

If Hodgeys ribs/soreness are a concern I'd bring in Mitch Hinge, IMO he was unlucky to be dropped in the 1st place and has been really good in the NEAFL since going back.

No way Lester gets omitted.

You really don’t know much about football do you? Lester has had his best month of football and Fagan has been picking him every week, but somehow Lester isn’t best 22. Then to compound your lack of insight, you propose dropping Lester next week and playing Adams in his place. A bloke who has plenty of up side, but who was rusty as and our least well performed player. Seriously?? Finally you say that Lester’s athleticism, his absolute strength, is letting him down. What glib nonsense. I’ve just finished watching the match again and Lester played a great game. If you are pushed for time, just watch the third quarter - Lester was sensational.

You sook and complain about me and others potting McStay and then do exactly the same thing yourself in terms of Lester. At least Dylan12 and I will give credit where it is due. Open your eyes. Fagan singled our defence out for praise in the post match and I reckon he thinks each one of those defenders is BEST 22.

Also you are just plain wrong about Lester being Himmelberg’s opponent. Then trying to make Lester responsible for Himmelberg’s four goals is just dishonest. Again, watch the replay. Lester spent much of the game on Toby Green. Andrews and Gardiner spent almost all of the game on Himmelberg and Cameron, eventually settling for Gardiner on Cameron and Andrews on Himmelburg. Word of advice, you don’t do yourself any favours when you just make stuff up.
I'm pretty sure that Andrews was on Finlayson for most of the game (gave him a complete bath) with Gardiner mostly on Cameron. Lester was mostly on Himmelberg but there was a few swap around at different times. Lester did well but was beaten for pure height once or twice. While Himmelberg kicked 3 or 4 I think Lester was only was on him for 2 of them. He was also on Cameron for one goal where he got a free low to the ground when one on one and nearly should have been a lace out pass.

I think Lester had a great game and will be in Hodges spot next year. But I do worry we are a bit short with him some games

Lester's done really well playing on larger opponents, but he does get exposed at some point every week in marking contests. It feels weird to go from being one of his few fans on here to telling people he hasn't been that good. For me he only stays in if Hodge needs a week off, we'll probably need Adams in the backline because Dixon's too big for Gardiner to handle and ideally we don't want Andrews stuck at full back all day. I'm sure the staff knew Adams would be a bit off the pace when they picked him, it's hard to see him going straight back out if Oscar's ok.

Lester was crucified by the match up;Himelberg. Imagine 10 bombs to a Lester/Himmellberg contest. Himmelberg would mark at least five of them.

After Himmelberg got his third goal on Lester just after half time I was so annoyed by the match up I refused to worry about keeping my eye on this match up for the rest of the game.

How many times would Himmelberg outmark Gardener, Andrews, Adams or even Walker for that matter. Ryan did the best he could given the situation he found himself in and he never threw in the towel. and contributed as many have pointed out. Its often what the players who are being beaten do that wins the game.

I understand the love for Lester but in my view he has limitations which he has done his level best to eradicate.

I think he played his role yesterday but I couldn't at all go along with him being in the best players. It seemed to me he was on Himmelberg mostly , not that he was responsible for a couple of the goals . He did a few things that don't show up on the stats sheet . He's a cog in the wheel who can do a job for you and be relied on to give his best. But I think people are getting carried away with his impact on the field.
I’m not sure anyone was saying Lester was in the best, just commending his game in the same vein others are praising Eric’s game despite his obvious limitation due to his injury.

I’m not sure anyone was saying Lester was in the best, just commending his game in the same vein others are praising Eric’s game despite his obvious limitation due to his injury.
Yes for sure Dylan . At least you know he's going to try really hard to stand up under pressure which he did a number of times . I mean that's a backman's role so it's what you expect/demand ,but we've had a few over the years who haven't

Lester's done really well playing on larger opponents, but he does get exposed at some point every week in marking contests. It feels weird to go from being one of his few fans on here to telling people he hasn't been that good. For me he only stays in if Hodge needs a week off, we'll probably need Adams in the backline because Dixon's too big for Gardiner to handle and ideally we don't want Andrews stuck at full back all day. I'm sure the staff knew Adams would be a bit off the pace when they picked him, it's hard to see him going straight back out if Oscar's ok.
Adams stated pre season.... one of the reasons he came here was because Harris can take the big guys and that he is reluctant to play on the big power forwards coz he doesnt feel he is big enough and would even look forward to playing more time up front. (something along those lines it was months ago now). I didnt see the 2s but I am reading our big boy Payne was B.O.G.....could be time to rest someone and introduce Payne to Dixon. In regard to Lester's marking he has been ok this season but u cant expect him to out mark bigger opponents. One of his main competitors for a spot in the team closed his eyes, ducked his head and put his arms up in the air when the Giants were kicking left to screen yesterday.

Port Adelaide backman Tom Clurey is forecasting a torrid time for Brisbane spark Eric Hipwood in Sunday's AFL encounter.
Clurey says the Power are moving on swiftly from Saturday's 57-point hammering of Adelaide, with the Lions and Hipwood next in their sights.
"We'll need to be physical on him," Clurey told reporters on Monday.

While we have 10 wins and and some solid away wins - we haven’t won an away game against an intense hostile crowd yet.
North, St Kilda, GWS, Suns all fairly low on the nasty crowd meter.

Big test this week over there. I wouldn’t be throwing in anyone in for a debut personally.

I'm pretty sure that Andrews was on Finlayson for most of the game (gave him a complete bath) with Gardiner mostly on Cameron. Lester was mostly on Himmelberg but there was a few swap around at different times. Lester did well but was beaten for pure height once or twice. While Himmelberg kicked 3 or 4 I think Lester was only was on him for 2 of them. He was also on Cameron for one goal where he got a free low to the ground when one on one and nearly should have been a lace out pass.

I think Lester had a great game and will be in Hodges spot next year. But I do worry we are a bit short with him some games
Just watched it again. Andrews had the second half on Himmelberg. Lester was given the tagging job on Toby Green. If you recorded the Fox Footy telecast you will see them lining up together at the start of the last quarter. Lester spent time on Himmelberg in the third quarter and beat him pointless on two occasions in the middle stages of the quarter. The commentators mentioned it in the call. He was then moved onto Green.

Now Lester won’t get a stat for this, but if you have the game recorded, go to the 09:59 mark of the third quarter, when Lester is tagging Green and watch him doing some amazing defensive gut running. So much for his endurance letting him down 🤣. As I said, he won’t get a statistic for it, but you can bet Fagan highlights it to the players during the week. He sprinted with Green and stopped a certain GWS goal on the fast break. Have a look and then talk to me about his endurance. He actually got better as the game progressed and hardly lost a contest in the second half.

As far as this year goes, Lester’s numbers stack up compared to our other key defenders, especially in terms of tackles.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Specimen will not be dropped he is an absolute gorilla. Was always going to be rusty will be probably for first month . He is a lot quicker then walker and nobody is going to outmuscle him key player come finals where an Andrews can basically intercept mark at will . Ainsworth and bailey have the speed to play on any small forwards which gives great flexibility and then you have rich in career best form and witherdon with hodge to round it out. Lester has been pretty good of late May get forced out this year if everyone fit but agree he probably takes Hodges place next year permanently. Can anyone tell me how that Irish bloke madden is Going in the magoos from what I have heard and read he possibly quickest player in the afl ? We could have a team in a few years with players with absolute jets ( madden , Charlie , Ainsworth , Bailey , starce, Jarrod Cameron 😂

It would be the most anti-Fagan thing ever to drop Adams based off one game.

I can see Oscar coming in for Hipwood as a late change on game-day.

If Hodge needs a rest I'd leave him out and bring Oscar in, moving Adams to the backline. If Hipwood is sore and the rumours of Cox being out for the rest of the year are true, I'd be very tempted to give Fullarton a game. If not him and we're happy to play smaller, Wooller would be great to see debut.
What happened to Cox ?

Just watched it again. Andrews had the second half on Himmelberg. Lester was given the tagging job on Toby Green. If you recorded the Fox Footy telecast you will see them lining up together at the start of the last quarter. Lester spent time on Himmelberg in the third quarter and beat him pointless on two occasions in the middle stages of the quarter. The commentators mentioned it in the call. He was then moved onto Green.

Now Lester won’t get a stat for this, but if you have the game recorded, go to the 09:59 mark of the third quarter, when Lester is tagging Green and watch him doing some amazing defensive gut running. So much for his endurance letting him down 🤣. As I said, he won’t get a statistic for it, but you can bet Fagan highlights it to the players during the week. He sprinted with Green and stopped a certain GWS goal on the fast break. Have a look and then talk to me about his endurance. He actually got better as the game progressed and hardly lost a contest in the second half.

As far as this year goes, Lester’s numbers stack up compared to our other key defenders, especially in terms of tackles.

Geez 3KZ ,you're watching Lester like a hawk.

Hope you don't moz him with all that scrutiny.

I find it fairly difficult to tell who's playing on who a lot of the time and I know most backlines see themselves as a unit ,all in together

Fages on Sportsday - Oscar passed his concussion test pre the GWS game but they kept him out as a precautionary measure. He's highly likely to be back in v Port.
Which poses the question, if Hippy, Hodge and the rest of the team pull up fine who goes out for the big O? Or does O play in the NEAFL?

Which poses the question, if Hippy, Hodge and the rest of the team pull up fine who goes out for the big O? Or does O play in the NEAFL?
It’s a good dilemma to have!
I reckon Hippy might be rested and Hodge too.
Big O to replace Hippy and Adams to go back to replace Hodge, Wooller to replace Adams in the forward line!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back