Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v the Demons Round 12 in Alice Springs?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
Valleys. Chelsea.
Huge game coming up where ever it ends up being played, win and we're in with a fair dinkum shot at another top 2 H&A finish and a QF at the Gabba.

I can't see there being any changes unless one or more of Lachie Neale/Ryan Lester/Jarrod Berry are ready to come back in.

The outs to come from Mathieson, Madden, Prior, Robertson and Coleman.

If we can't play in the Alice why not play it at Metricon or Cairns that way they could be assured of a fairly decent crowd rather that a thousand or 2 in Sydney.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Huge game coming up where ever it ends up being played, win and we're in with a fair dinkum shot at another top 2 H&A finish and a QF at the Gabba.

I can't see there being any changes unless one or more of Lachie Neale/Ryan Lester/Jarrod Berry are ready to come back in.

The outs to come from Mathieson, Madden, Prior, Robertson and Coleman.

If we can't play in the Alice why not play it at Metricon or Cairns that way they could be assured of a fairly decent crowd rather that a thousand or 2 in Sydney.

Reckon Melbourne will get to choose? I think I saw somewhere this evening that Carlton got to decide their home game location next week. If that's the case, which is fair enough I suspect it will be in NSW. Hopefully at the Giant's home ground. We've gone ok there in recent years. Our record is spotless. :D

jackess

30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
If fit I’d go Lester for Ah Chee and Neale for Robertson (keep Mathiesons experience for a big clash against the Dees).

Dev can be the medical sub

Scubaveg

Dec 6, 2009
Carina
In Neale Lester
Out Matheison Prior

Prior to be medical sub

If not Prior, Ah Chee for Lester. Ah Chee medical sub.

jackess

30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
In Neale Lester
Out Matheison Prior

Prior to be medical sub

If not Prior, Ah Chee for Lester. Ah Chee medical sub.

Ah Chee to play wing?

Just cannot see Neale coming in, playing one match and then going back into a rest period (Bye).

See him through to the bye and have him ready to go for the back end of the season.

Neale for med sub.

Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 8.55.12 pm.png

While Sydney does seem the favourite for this game, it has been reported that the Demons make $700k for this Alice Springs game and so will probably be very keen to make it happen if it is at all possible. If case numbers stay low in the coming days down in Victoria, I wouldn't think it could be entirely ruled out. Would be a shame to see arguably the two biggest games of the year so far (Dogs vs Demons this week, us vs Demons next) both played in front of no (or virtually no) crowd.

The only changes I'd make would be Matho out for Lachie if Lachie was fit enough. Matho's been okay, but nothing better than okay really.

Oct 13, 2015
While Sydney does seem the favourite for this game, it has been reported that the Demons make $700k for this Alice Springs game and so will probably be very keen to make it happen if it is at all possible. If case numbers stay low in the coming days down in Victoria, I wouldn't think it could be entirely ruled out. Would be a shame to see arguably the two biggest games of the year so far (Dogs vs Demons this week, us vs Demons next) both played in front of no (or virtually no) crowd.

The only changes I'd make would be Matho out for Lachie if Lachie was fit enough. Matho's been okay, but nothing better than okay really.

It would require the NT government making an early call to allow the Dees to leave Vic and come in though - I assume the AFL will want them to get out of Melbourne by tuesday at the latest to minimise risk of the game not happening at all.

Maybe things will be ok in Vic by Thursday, lockdown will lift and the NT Gov will let the Dees in, but that is a lot of stuff that has to happen before Friday.

I can't see any games being in melbourne next weekend.

ForzaRoma

May 9, 2021

Nah, no chance Darwin happens. Even if Victoria manages to get to 0 cases, their lockdown is 7 days (which coincides to the day before the game). Northern Territory are strict with their borders and won't open them right away after the lockdown is over. 700k is also nothing to what Collingwood would have lost today, or Richmond as well. Clubs will be losing money in this period and Melbourne will be no exception.

Huge game, Top team taking on the form team of the comp with 7 wins on the trot and winning comfortably against some decent teams in Port, Richmond and GWS in that time.

Game could be played at the Gabba as a home game with your game against West coast becoming away and then Melbourne play West Coast home in Alice Springs. Not sure people will be happy with that though.

regardless of where the game is at it’s going to be a great game, will be great if Neale comes back in going head to head against Oliver, Mcluggage and Petracca with damaging plays, Rich and Salem driving from the back half, May on Daniher, Andrews on TMac, Cameron and Pickett lighting the forward lines up. Exciting matchup!!!

Game could be played at the Gabba as a home game with your game against West coast becoming away and then Melbourne play West Coast home in Alice Springs. Not sure people will be happy with that though.

Interesting idea, although I think there's a higher chance of the NT government letting Melbourne into Alice Springs than there is of the QLD government letting Melbourne into QLD. If NT is off the cards, it seems the only two options are NSW or a delay.

Personally, I found the crowdless games pretty awful to watch over the weekend. I'd be tempted if I was in charge to declare round 12 a bye for the whole competition, get the Victorian teams out ASAP as a precaution, and hope to be able to have a normal round from round 13 onwards.

Loss probably intangible but any idea what their preferred fall back would be? I'm assuming not SCG.

Who knows - I don't think they've ever won at Giants Stadium, so there's no clear reason they'd have it as a preference over the SCG.

Wonder if Tasmania could also be an option, which I'm guessing Melbourne would prefer over NSW as they'd probably find a (slightly) stronger base of supporters down there who'd be keen to go along, and they'd likely also back their ability to adjust to the cold better than us. A Friday night winter game in Tassie would be next level cold though.

Personally, I found the crowdless games pretty awful to watch over the weekend. I'd be tempted if I was in charge to declare round 12 a bye for the whole competition, get the Victorian teams out ASAP as a precaution, and hope to be able to have a normal round from round 13 onwards.

Absolutely.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
The Suns V Hawks game was moved from Darwin so can't see how the NT Government then allow Melbourne in to play even in Alice Springs where it may be easier to fly them in and out the same day with quarantine measures. Would seem easier to move the bye forward or it will be in Sydney.

Surely Melbourne make it their home game at the gabba. Will probably sell out.

That'll be a blast from the past. It would've been about the last time we were both good too.