Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v the Demons Round 12 in Alice Springs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winning at the SCG is one of the last long standing hoodoos we're yet to crack. 2009?

Yeah when Voss was the coach I think. We came close last year against Geelong before Dangerfield and Menegola destroyed us in Q3. I was there :(

Knowing our record at SCG, I suspect Dees will prefer that venue if it gets moved.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
While Sydney does seem the favourite for this game, it has been reported that the Demons make $700k for this Alice Springs game and so will probably be very keen to make it happen if it is at all possible. If case numbers stay low in the coming days down in Victoria, I wouldn't think it could be entirely ruled out. Would be a shame to see arguably the two biggest games of the year so far (Dogs vs Demons this week, us vs Demons next) both played in front of no (or virtually no) crowd.

The only changes I'd make would be Matho out for Lachie if Lachie was fit enough. Matho's been okay, but nothing better than okay really.
Suggesting on news in Melbourne this morning that our lockdown is likely to be extended.

Winning at the SCG is one of the last long standing hoodoos we're yet to crack. 2009?
Yep.

Haven't played there much in recent years though before the Geelong game last year (which was weird all around). We've played at Giants Stadium the years prior for the one trip to Sydney a year, if that.

Edit: one game against Sydney in the last eight years back in 2017, plus the game against Geelong last year. We'll be in the previously weird scenario of having played more games at another team's home stadium against third party teams than the home team. I say previously weird, because obviously a bunch of clubs have now managed this at Metricon and the Gabba.

fugitive

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
We always seem to get beaten up physically when we play there.

Its weird because SCG (155.5m x 136m) Gabba (156m x 138m) are virtually identical dimensions so it’s not like it’s easier to suffocate us like Geelong do to teams at GMBHA due it’s egg like shape. Even during our premiership era we always struggled at the SCG😒

Its weird because SCG (155.5m x 136m) Gabba (156m x 138m) are virtually identical dimensions so it’s not like it’s easier to suffocate us like Geelong do to teams at GMBHA due it’s egg like shape. Even during our premiership era we always struggled at the SCG😒
We won four games straight in the lead-up and during our finals/premiership years ('99-'02) before losing in our last decent year ('03).

I then moved to Sydney in '04 and yeah... sorry, guys.

I remember one of the years where they'd gotten players to ring renewing members, Pearce Hanley called me and I lamented about living in Sydney, not seeing the team often, and commented about how they hadn't played here that year. He reminded me that they had... I'd actually attended the game and completely blocked it out because a) we got flogged again, and b) I had to leave at half-time because my heavily pregnant wife was feeling really sick sitting in the sun.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Surely Melbourne make it their home game at the gabba. Will probably sell out.
Positives
That would be a great outcome for most if only they could convince the Qld Government
Lions get to play at home
Demons get some good revenue from the game to compensate for the reported $700K for playing at Alice
The AFL should be happy as fans all over Australia get to watch a 1 v 3 contest with a big crowd
The AFL would not like a repeat of the soulless 1 v 2 game last week
Brisbane Demons fans get to attend the game
Neutral
Demons have to travel no matter what decision is made
Demons possibly stay in Brisbane and play the Pies at The Gabba the following week. Assuming no crowds allowed again round 13 Melbourne
If they are true Premiership favorites they should be able to beat the Lions at The Gabba and take away some much needed money
Negatives
Melbourne fans (if they lose) and other Clubs in the 8 won't like the advantage to the Lions
Melbourne spend time away from family if if extended stay needed. Like the Lions had to do
That'll be a blast from the past. It would've been about the last time we were both good too.
Yes that suited both Clubs at the time so a precedent has been set :)

fugitive

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
I then moved to Sydney in '04 and yeah... sorry, guys.

I ran into Luke Power and another player (may have been Richard Hadley) b4 the Rd 18 game in 04 near botanical gardens just casually kicking the footy around. The previous week we had demolished Adelaide so I though we were a shoe in for a comfortable win but once again we got completely shut down at the SCG and made for a miserable drive home.

Suggesting on news in Melbourne this morning that our lockdown is likely to be extended.

Sad.

Feel for all the small businesses too, going to be tough to survive.

It appears that Melbourne cops the worst hit in Aus. Up here when it's got out it didn't spread as quickly. Has to be outdoor lifestyle related. Which makes the Commonwealth decision to put a propose built quarantine centre in Victoria odd. If it gets out, it gets out widely.

Best wishes to you guys down there. Sucks.

Maybe Manuka?

Purely because we're heading to Canberra for the weekend, and I'm going to be spewing if the Lions have an unscheduled visit to town the one week I'm out of it.
I would love it if they put it here. Twice in a year yes please.

Think SCG or Giants Stadium most likely though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Berrygood

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2017
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No changes for me. This team is playing so well. Match fit, combinations working, playing for each other. The best team to play Melb at the moment is this one. Neale would be out of touch/ form, and I think Madden is adding something to the game that Lester doesn't. Stick with the team that has got us to the bye so well.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No changes for me. This team is playing so well. Match fit, combinations working, playing for each other. The best team to play Melb at the moment is this one. Neale would be out of touch/ form, and I think Madden is adding something to the game that Lester doesn't. Stick with the team that has got us to the bye so well.
If Neale is fit he comes back in. Prior to go out IMO. Kid hasn’t done anything wrong but I think Matho and Dev have shown more.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Neale is fit he comes back in. Prior to go out IMO. Kid hasn’t done anything wrong but I think Matho and Dev have shown more.
Two things I'm really warming to about prior. He's really smart in a contest and knows when to go and when to spoil.

Also you can swing him anywhere around the ground. Versatility is fairly rare in one so inexperienced.

If Neale comes in, Matho goes out. He doesn't need to be dropped, but that's the position he is occupying at the moment. You could make an argument for pushing Zorko back forward more and leaving Kiddy out, but Zorko is in career best form and you just don't ignore the ability to have the Zorko/Lyons/Neale trio back at it.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

So you saying don’t play Neal even if he’s available? Your not being serious are you?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So you saying don’t play Neal even if he’s available? Your not being serious are you?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Obviously he has to play if he's 100%.

If he's not quite there yet my thinking is there's no need to rush him in because we absolutely need him.

I don't think Fagan seemed all that convinced he'd make it either but someone asked the question.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No changes. Bringing in Neale now is still a bit of a risk and our current team should be able to beat Melbourne.
You sound quite confident considering Melbourne are top of the ladder and just beat the Bulldogs.

It appears that Melbourne cops the worst hit in Aus. Up here when it's got out it didn't spread as quickly. Has to be outdoor lifestyle related.
Probably weather-related too. Cooler environments allow viruses to stick around longer.

Last edited:
Matho can’t play the Prior role. Just doesn’t have the tank. You’d have to play Bailey or someone on the wing, which might be a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Dev might be capable of playing on a wing. You wouldn’t get the same kicking penetration as Prior but he’s probably got the engine for it.

I think the simplest thing is that an inside mid comes out when Neale goes in. It would be between Dev and Matho then. Matho might be winning more of the footy but Dev’s work without the footy is superior IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back