Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v the Hawks @ MCG after our Sabbatical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rich gets so much of the footy because we set up to give him the ball. Sitting at the back of a stoppage waiting to get given the ball is probably (and no disrespect) the easiest job in footy and definitely pads the stat. The way clearances are counted IMO is a big flaw in the system, the getting the ball to Rich (or the kicker) is not the one who gets the clearance, its the guy who gets the time and space to clear it out of the area. Richy got 5 clearances against Adelaide but he didn't have to work particularly hard to get them either. Certainly not as hard as the guys that got the ball to him.

That’s not true. Clearances are given to the player who has the first effective disposal in a chain that leads to the ball being cleared from the stoppage area. So they aren’t given to Rich if a teammate feeds them the ball. Rich got his clearances because the ball was wet and kept spilling out backwards until he picked it up and cleared it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes and the guy giving him the ball or getting the ball to him, while still in congestion doesn't seem to get the stat. Effective is what makes it a grey area when calculating. Personally I would credit the guy who wins the ball and dishes out to a team mate, but that doesn't clear the area so I understand why they aren't credited with the clearance as well.
I would love to see a 'first disposal' stat or something that is simply for the first disposal after the ruckmen have competed.

If a player simply knocked or hit the ball to Rich then yes no clearance to them even though it is reasonable to assume they put in most of the effort. However, any handball to Rich is an effective disposal and they hand balling player would be credited with the clearance (or the player who effectively disposed to them) as they began the chain of effective disposal that lead to the ball being cleared.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm happy to accept I am wrong about how clearances are counted. I guess I am more questioning how the 'rules' are applied sometimes. I guess my issue is because it feels to me or looks like you can play bruise free footy and still be considered a great clearance player. I'm not for one second suggesting Rich plays bruise free, we have seem him put his body on the line plenty of time.

Rich is playing like a poor man's Witherden.

I'm scared. So scared this will happen come finals.

Should not be best 22 for the rest of the season. He just doesn't offer more than Wilmot or McKenna down back. The "get him a medal" brigade need come back to reality. It's a real struggle to watch him barely make a 20m run these days. As loyal and well paid Rich has been I think it's time the team comes first. Put him out the back paddock Fagan. plz

We had Witherden, Hodge and Rich down back for that game and probably should've made a prelim and who knows after that.

Probably shows a team can play decent footy with a slow backline

The worry with Richy is that his weapons have dropped off dramatically this year, he rarely goes for a penetrative kick any longer and has even lost confidence in his kick ins + his deficiency ie. defensive run has regressed as well .... which is a big surprise as his game in the final against the Demons last season was exceptional. Although he does turn 33 next week and what you do have can go quickly at that age.

I am expecting the odd good game or 2 when others cover for his lack of speed and for him not to be omitted, I hope I am dead wrong and he can find his best form.

My biggest concern with dropping Rich (even with his drop off in his kicking) is that it would leave Coleman as the only player off half back that you would consider a consistently above average kick off half back. I think it's something that the coaching staff are aware of too given the trials of Zorko and Rayner off half back in recent years. Coleman isn't consistent enough yet, nor does he get enough of the ball to be the sole distributor off half back.
As surprsing as it sounds, I don't mine McKenna playing that role. And we should be blooding players like Wilmont and Prior to add that role to their games. I can't help but think the status quo is hurting us today and tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would Rich be effective as a sub? Throw him into the middle for a small stretch to discombobulate the oppo midfield
I agree. He could be an excellent strategic sub. Playing a maximum of 2 qtrs. Particularly in situations where his kicking could be used to clear a defensive line and turn them around.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Give Rich a month of footy to get as fit and match sharp as he can after coming a couple of soft tissue injuries. If he is clearly being exposed after this time then I wouldn’t be opposed to leaving him out of the side. We haven’t missed him when he’s been out but at the end of the season the older and experienced players come to the fore. You just have to get them there healthy and fresh just like Geelong did last year.

Dev must be picked. In a 40 point win he got 21 tackles. Next best was 7.

That must be respected and he must be given the change to play.

Don't care who comes out - the whole point of players having multiple rules is we can juggle the team.

My biggest concern with dropping Rich (even with his drop off in his kicking) is that it would leave Coleman as the only player off half back that you would consider a consistently above average kick off half back. I think it's something that the coaching staff are aware of too given the trials of Zorko and Rayner off half back in recent years. Coleman isn't consistent enough yet, nor does he get enough of the ball to be the sole distributor off half back.
Not so. Ryan Lester is an amazingly accurate and penetrating field kick. He is the highest rated player in our team for disposal efficiency. He can do the same field transition by foot work that Rich does, plus he has the ability to run, tackle, spoil, play body on body and contest in the air, all of which Rich doesn’t do because he can’t.

The ongoing selection situation with Rich and Gunston is a massive test for Fagan. If we are going to win the flag this year he needs to be ruthless.

Outs- Dayne Zorko, Jack Gunston, Darcy Gardiner, Daniel Rich.

Ins- Dev Robertson, Jack Payne, Kai Lohmann, Harry Sharp.

Wilmot plays back, Sharp to the wing, McCluggage mid/wing, Berry mid, Lohmann fwd, Robertson mid/fwd, Rayner 3rd tall fwd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back