Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v the Hawks @ MCG after our Sabbatical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the idea of Rayner playing on ball, his burst of pace/strength/evasion around contests is being wasted, dare I say it is Dangerfield like, if need be let him spend more time on the bench if resting forward isn't sufficient... also it wasn't that long ago that Jarrod Berry played one of the great halves of footy by a big bodied mid in memory(Final v Dees).

IMO we have enough big bodied mids ie. Dunkley, Berry, Rayner.

Also we need to have McCluggage spend most of his time on the outside/wing, we need the ball in his hands and Coleman's in space running forward.

349701366_3417364458527512_7920057531850412039_n.jpg

Yeah... save your money
Definitely not a good look. Heavens knows what Zorks was thinking...really silly stuff.

McCluggage's disposal has dropped a couple of notches this year.

As you say he's 25 now and there are plenty of younger players in the game having genuine inside mid impact.

He's an outside mid/winger but seems to spend most of his time trying to ferret the ball out from packs and we don't get to see his real gifts all that often. Bailey will never be a genuine mid imo.

We need another Dunkley . Or someone who plays like him. Rayner is the obvious one but if he had the tank we'd have him in there.
Your Bailey comment is spot on. Bailey is a HFF and plays the same as Mickey Conlan did. Play him at HFF all the time.

The suspected answer is his tank still isn't up to scratch, but it's more that there are just a lot of people we need to rotate through there. He has also been pretty ineffectual in center clearances, although he hasn't attended a lot. Im also starting to think that part of our forward half strategy is to overwhelm opposition defenders with a plethora of marking targets forward of center, so Rayner McCarthy and Cameron plays into that.

As for our midfield overall, unless the game is in control, we don't really shuffle our midfielders around a lot. Our CBAs on the weekend were (and are similar most games):

Oscar - 25 (Max 28 CBAs)
Neale - 23
Dunkley - 23
Ashcroft - 10
Bailey - 8
McCluggage - 7
Zorko - 6
Rayner - 3
Danniher - 2

IMO we go in far too small at center bounces a lot of the time. Neale is a smaller mid who attends almost every contest. Then we supplement him with Ashcroft, Bailey and Zorko, all smaller players. I'm even starting to think McCluggage is a bit undersized aswell, he was getting pushed under the center bounces way too easily by Sloane. He's 25 now, when is he going to actually put on the size to stand toe to toe with AFL midfielders?

It's a big reason why I want us to bring in Dev, and it's probably a big reason why we persisted with Lyons for all of last year.

If I get time I might try to look at overall CBAs to center clearances and see how Rayner stacks up.
Interesting to see Berry not used at all in those stats. I think this has been the case the last few weeks. Have we forgotten to use Berry's bigger body and tackling ability inside. I also think it's a bit like how Joe gets more involved when he gets a bit of ruck time, Berry is also so much better when he gets inside mid time, when he gets amongst it. He's a stronger option inside, especially when the opposition mids start to get on top, than Clugg or Bailey.

The suspected answer is his tank still isn't up to scratch, but it's more that there are just a lot of people we need to rotate through there. He has also been pretty ineffectual in center clearances, although he hasn't attended a lot. Im also starting to think that part of our forward half strategy is to overwhelm opposition defenders with a plethora of marking targets forward of center, so Rayner McCarthy and Cameron plays into that.

As for our midfield overall, unless the game is in control, we don't really shuffle our midfielders around a lot. Our CBAs on the weekend were (and are similar most games):

Oscar - 25 (Max 28 CBAs)
Neale - 23
Dunkley - 23
Ashcroft - 10
Bailey - 8
McCluggage - 7
Zorko - 6
Rayner - 3
Danniher - 2

IMO we go in far too small at center bounces a lot of the time. Neale is a smaller mid who attends almost every contest. Then we supplement him with Ashcroft, Bailey and Zorko, all smaller players. I'm even starting to think McCluggage is a bit undersized aswell, he was getting pushed under the center bounces way too easily by Sloane. He's 25 now, when is he going to actually put on the size to stand toe to toe with AFL midfielders?

It's a big reason why I want us to bring in Dev, and it's probably a big reason why we persisted with Lyons for all of last year.

If I get time I might try to look at overall CBAs to center clearances and see how Rayner stacks up.
I've been big on this for a fair while now. The midfield works really well most of the time but can get exposed for size. Lyons has been replaced by Dunkley which is great but too many of our rotations are small. Personally think we are still lacking one bigger body in the rotation

I've been big on this for a fair while now. The midfield works really well most of the time but can get exposed for size. Lyons has been replaced by Dunkley which is great but too many of our rotations are small. Personally think we are still lacking one bigger body in the rotation
Berry is obviously the one given how well we saw him play in that role last year.

But we’re either nursing him through in the hopes we can get a solid 6 weeks out of him in that role at the end of the year or we have just put a line through him being able to play it at all given his capabilities with his body. I hope it’s the former.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Berry is obviously the one given how well we saw him play in that role last year.

But we’re either nursing him through in the hopes we can get a solid 6 weeks out of him in that role at the end of the year or we have just put a line through him being able to play it at all given his capabilities with his body. I hope it’s the former.
Berry also really set the tone at the beginning of the game against Melbourne this year as well. Clearly the medical and coaching teams don't think his body can withstand a full season of bash and crash inside and he can be a handy winger so the strategy does make sense. It is a shame for us as a team though that he can't be inside more consistently.

He's shifted more outside since the start of the season but we still need on ballers and he's the next best even in the form he's in
I think that Clugga is a bit more of a marked man these days.
No matter where he is on the field he gets more attention than he has in previous years so he has just got to learn new ways to create some space for himself and for others to use him when he gets some space.

Rayner is great at around the ground stoppages. Hard to expect him to be a centre mid getting a few CBAs a game. Give him time there and he will flourish.

Hell, I'd love to see Neale, Rayner & Dunkley as our starting mids for a game and just rotate Rayner full forward as needed to conserve his energy. Give him exposure and time there so he can show what he's got to offer in the role.
Yep i don't mind this.

I am torn as to who our best on-ball players are.

Neale and Dunkley are the locks.

Ashcroft will be but he's young and not big, can't have him in with Neale too much.

Clugga can be good in there, but is he better at wing?

Rayner good as a burst player but can't do too much more than that.

Will Bailey develop if given more time there? Is Zorko a bit past too many inside mid minutes and also too small with Neale?

Does Lyons deserve another go or does that mean we go backwards in terms of defensive cover? Does Robertson deserve a go at his actual position as inside mid for 3-4 weeks?

We have been going well, i just think we need a bit of a strategic tinkering and now might be the time at the bye to get a bit more of a settled first 4-5 inside mids.

Yep i don't mind this.

I am torn as to who our best on-ball players are.

Neale and Dunkley are the locks.

Ashcroft will be but he's young and not big, can't have him in with Neale too much.

Clugga can be good in there, but is he better at wing?

Rayner good as a burst player but can't do too much more than that.

Will Bailey develop if given more time there? Is Zorko a bit past too many inside mid minutes and also too small with Neale?

Does Lyons deserve another go or does that mean we go backwards in terms of defensive cover? Does Robertson deserve a go at his actual position as inside mid for 3-4 weeks?

We have been going well, i just think we need a bit of a strategic tinkering and now might be the time at the bye to get a bit more of a settled first 4-5 inside mids.
Posted sometime ago, that as good as Ashcroft is/will be, bit much to expect a young guy in his first year to be in the guts week in, week out, so some rotation required perhaps with Bailey with Ash also playing forward. No doubt the bye will benefit Ashcroft.

100% Neal and Dunkley are locks.

I would like to see Dev be given a run (next few weeks) as an inside mid, but feel he is almost certain to leave at years end. I can see him being a decent inside mid for very likely the Eagles...that's if their brave enough not renew some contracts for their older and injury prone players eg Luke Shuey

I would definitely have Cam for spurts in the midfield and possibly rotating with Clug who can also play extended minutes on the wing.

I feel Zorks has to play, went a bit far the other evening, but we need his aggression and IMO he still contributes.

I feel at this stage Wilmot is more suited to the half back line, so that puts Richy under pressure.

Controversial, but for the next few weeks, I would play Harris as the deep defender and play Payne further up the ground, I think with his growing confidence he could provide some run and carry out of defence with a little more freedom playing further upfield. I also seen him kick some long balls and playing further upfield he might be able to be a danger outside of the forward 50.

Lyons.

The problem is that Lyons offers little else except in the actual stoppage. He's not fast enough for defensive pressure when he's up forward, and he's also exposed at center bounces. It also stifles the development of other guys that we need to take over that midfield. That said he would of been a good choice in the wet game we just played.

As was posted by Nathan Barley (I think), we are currently +5.5 clearances differential, broken into 3.9 stoppage differential and 1.5 center clearance differential. So adding Lyons would strengthen what we are already doing well, while most likely weaken where we could be doing better.

Teams are allowing us to have an extra number at the stoppage, so they can have an extra number behind the ball. We normally manufacture either Rich or Coleman as that person, this week Rich got 5 clearances (although 2 have been credited as center clearances some how?), But I remember quite a few times him being off the back of a stoppage on the wing where he got clean possession, but mostly just hoofed it forward.

We don't have data on the quality of those clearances (even though I'm sure it exists), but I feel like this is something we need to improve on. Fages seems happy to be getting inside 50s, but we are allowing 16.7 intercept marks a game against us (ranked 12 in the AFL).

Says here contact to the eye region. I’d challenge.

I wouldn’t challenge it purely because I don’t think he deserves to play, it’s so dumb, unnecessary and fake tough guy rubbish. Have no idea what was going through his head and that kind of action has no place in the game whether he made contact to the eyes or not.

I wouldn’t challenge it purely because I don’t think he deserves to play, it’s so dumb, unnecessary and fake tough guy rubbish. Have no idea what was going through his head and that kind of action has no place in the game whether he made contact to the eyes or not.
I don't think there was any fake tough guy rubbish stuff, if you watch it Zorks playfully pats Pedlar on the chest a few times and was whispering sweet nothings in his ear, they both had a chuckle about it.

I have little doubt if it was Bont, Danger or Dusty there would not have been a charge and the media would have been pushing the narrative that is not part of their game.

Amazing how a playful little facial, look at it, that's all it was, has garnered such negative responses. There was nothing in it, slow motion makes everything look worse, makes it look like the action lingers but in real time he hardly touched him. He knew he got him high, happily conceded the free kick, and gave the kid a rub. Both smiling, no protest by Pedlar, no push n shove after, both got up n carried on with the game. Commentators didn't carry on about it, didn't see anything in it.

Doesn't deserve to play, dumb, no place in the game. I'd agree if there was malice, if there was intent to do some damage but there wasn't. If it wasn't Zorks, it would have been written off as amusing byplay.

Last edited:
Amazing how a playful little facial, look at it, that's all it was, has garnered such negative responses. There was nothing in it, slow motion makes everything look worse, makes it look like the action lingers but in real time he hardly touched him. He knew he got him high, happily conceded the free kick, and gave the kid a rub. Both smiling, no protest by Pedlar, no push n shove after, both got up n carried on with the game. Commentators didn't carry on about it, didn't see anything in it.

Doesn't deserve to play, dumb, no place in the game. I'd agree if there was malice, if there was intent to do some damage but there wasn't. If it wasn't Zorks, it would have been written off as amusing byplay.

I hate to disagree with the last part. It wasn’t even bought up by the commentators and was really only brought up once he received the suspension. I think there was a “is Zorko in trouble for this?” Tweet by the AFL late in the game but they do that for every incident that may received a fine or worse.

There was not mass media discussion about it really until the suspension was given and even now there’s not exactly a whole lot about it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back