Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v the Saints round 13 @ Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've banged on about this before but but eagles can def play on the big, big forwards and resting rucks. Payne can be a second big defender given we can get some games into him, this allows dizzy to play on the mid sized attacker. Rich and birch as distributors and Noah as a speedy role player.
I just don't see how witho can get a game. Looking at the kangas game he was poor. The guy isn't a great kick, he's very slow and he's a poor mark.
The point of restructuring the backline is to allow Andrews to play full forward. He's one of the best contested marks in the game and if he doesn't mark his bring to grounds would allow our small s more opportunity to score. At present Hipwood stands under the ball, he gets out bodied and the ball rebounds too easily. Moving Harris to ff would allow hippy to get more mobile, get some chest marks on the lead and kick more from 60 meters.
I reckon a forward combination of Harris and bigO would be devastating.

Witherden is a very good kick actually is averaging around 80% D E. 4 marks V North as well. Agree that he isn't Bolt out there

Our current backline is half a player too small against the better forward lines. It doesn't mean we can't beat them ,it just means that if they play well they're likely to get a lot of goals from us scragging , giving away frees or being outmarked if the ball comes in properly.

That's obvious. If we don't have anyone we need to compromise. The only answer is Payne if Adams doesn't come up which seems likely . And if Payne isn't up to it we need to compromise bigly. The only other viable option is McStay . Which is a good option but we might be taking away too much from our forward half.

No good worrying about what we haven't got ,just need to make the best of what we have.
Appears Lions see Payne as the future, with him being extended. I hope he and a couple of the young guys get an opportunity this year to gain some experience. At the moment mids seem reasonably settled and forwards. But opportunity for Ballenden to grab the chance as 2nd ruck, and if he can do this we might not need Stef for any longer than a year. Payne needs to grab the 2nd tall defender role. It puts too much pressure on Darcy taking the second tall. If Payne can take his opportunity we won't be discussing Adams.

I hope WOLLER AND C.LYONS, ELY SMITH, COLEMAN, BALLENDEN, PAYNE etc get a chance over the condensed rounds, not all at once, but chance to rest some of our senior guys who look a bit tired. I like WOOLLER from all the NEAFL games I have watched, just hope he can get a shot in the next few weeks

Im wondering if there is a little bit of coaching at the moment in all the kicks off the ground. We seem to have been doing it a lot recently to try and move the ball faster rather than grab it. Also fits with the standing back and not being first to the ball. This might be be a factor with the changed HTB rules and players being a bit uncertain around them.

Add seeing Richmond being very successful with the deliberate tapping the ball forward game plan being so successful

The HTB rules should definitely play a part in my mind - if you're under pressure and you take possession, a month ago it would've been a ball up. Now it's much more likely to be a free kick.

Your options are effectively all bad by trying to take possession of the ball:
  • ball up;
  • HTB free kick against;
  • fumble and contest;
  • slim chance of free kick for, or missed tackle leading to clear possession.
If you toe it forward, it's a higher percentage play especially if you're the faster player:
  • clear possession of the ball;
  • potentially a holding free kick against if the person pressuring you was too eager on the tackle;
  • alternatively you just start again with the previous options but in a better field position.

I'd absolutely love to play Harris forward ,it would change the whole dynamic of out forward line, imagine our smalls running on to his well directed spoils apart from his ability to take contested marks.

Right now it's far too big a risk. Potentially decimating our backline . We just need to find someone similar to him.

It's that easy ,hey.

I'd absolutely love to play Harris forward ,it would change the whole dynamic of out forward line, imagine our smalls running on to his well directed spoils apart from his ability to take contested marks.

Right now it's far too big a risk. Potentially decimating our backline . We just need to find someone similar to him.

It's that easy ,hey.

I've banged on about this before but but eagles can def play on the big, big forwards and resting rucks. Payne can be a second big defender given we can get some games into him, this allows dizzy to play on the mid sized attacker. Rich and birch as distributors and Noah as a speedy role player.
I just don't see how witho can get a game. Looking at the kangas game he was poor. The guy isn't a great kick, he's very slow and he's a poor mark.
The point of restructuring the backline is to allow Andrews to play full forward. He's one of the best contested marks in the game and if he doesn't mark his bring to grounds would allow our small s more opportunity to score. At present Hipwood stands under the ball, he gets out bodied and the ball rebounds too easily. Moving Harris to ff would allow hippy to get more mobile, get some chest marks on the lead and kick more from 60 meters.
I reckon a forward combination of Harris and bigO would be devastating.

So you guys want to put the All Australian fullback, who is one of the best defenders in the game right now, and put him forward? I'm sorry but that just sounds stupid. Our forward line needs to work on accuracy, not on switching players in and out. Does it look like Hipwood is carrying some injuries? Yes. Would he be better if he had an uninterrupted pre-season (ie. not having the covid break)? Also yes, but that's a problem the whole comp is having at the moment. Not to mention that every player on our team atm seems like they've lost all their energy. Same is similar for McStay, even though this season he's been pretty good. If our forward line doesn't do half as good of a job as they did this year then you'd have a point, but we don't need Andrews forward, nor should we put him forward.

Also this is more directed towards beard here, do you watch football? Witherden's kicking is better than last season, which I assume he's worked with Birchall on that. And he's not half bad of a mark for a guy whose main role to kick the ball out. I'd suggest watching the game again. Then watch the other ones before, then watch the games from last season and try to say, honestly, the guy isn't a great kick.

It's that easy ,hey.
As someone mentioned the other day, if only Justin Clarke was still running around with the Lions.

It's that easy ,hey.
Taking a contested mark as a forward (in the forward line) is somewhat different to taking them down back. When in the forward line you have opposition key defenders doing everything to spoil your attempt. The difference in flying for a mark as backman (in our back half) is that your opposition are also looking to take the mark rather than the spoil. In saying that I have no doubt Andrews would be an effective key forward but as it stands now, he is All Australian as a backman and is performing a vital position there. Why change a good thing thats working for us thus far this season....we have won 9 out of 12 games FFS. Most supporters of a team in this comp would be pretty happy with that result...especially when you reflect on our performance just 3 seasons ago.

So you guys want to put the All Australian fullback, who is one of the best defenders in the game right now, and put him forward? I'm sorry but that just sounds stupid. Our forward line needs to work on accuracy, not on switching players in and out. Does it look like Hipwood is carrying some injuries? Yes. Would he be better if he had an uninterrupted pre-season (ie. not having the covid break)? Also yes, but that's a problem the whole comp is having at the moment. Not to mention that every player on our team atm seems like they've lost all their energy. Same is similar for McStay, even though this season he's been pretty good. If our forward line doesn't do half as good of a job as they did this year then you'd have a point, but we don't need Andrews forward, nor should we put him forward.

Also this is more directed towards beard here, do you watch football? Witherden's kicking is better than last season, which I assume he's worked with Birchall on that. And he's not half bad of a mark for a guy whose main role to kick the ball out. I'd suggest watching the game again. Then watch the other ones before, then watch the games from last season and try to say, honestly, the guy isn't a great kick.
Hipwood equal 7th in the Coleman with a conversion rate of over 60%. Once again well ahead of any other key forwards drafted in his year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back