Unofficial Preview Changes/Discussion v WCE Round 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminder! We still need a handful of preview writers for coming weeks - Melbourne, Gold Coast (BRAB?), and Adelaide!

Listed as 1-2wks. Would be huge if he missed the Melbourne game

If Cockatoo is fit I'd play him as Lincs replacement

Me thinks the club could also be playing games re whether he will play in a fortnight. I reckon this week is a precautionary week off. He is one of our most important dudes. Pure speculation.

Just received this club e-mail. Anyone else get one.
Not that i will be paying an extra $50 to watch the Eagles.
1688458275537.png

this one's for you!

To thank you for your support throughout the season, we wanted to show our appreciation with a member exclusive offer.

For this week ONLY, members can upgrade to Area VIP for only $50 per person.

Experience the action like never before. Sit like a fan, feel like a VIP!

Contact our sales team directly via phone (07) 3335 1722 or click on the enquire button below so we can assist you in organising your upgrade.

"He's been extremely important to us, so hopefully he gets up, but if he doesn't, Dev Robertson played in the midfield when he went down in the last quarter and did some really nice things," McCluggage said.

"We've got lots of options playing in the VFL and lots of depth.

"You don't want to lose players, but hopefully we can cover them."

Jarryd Lyons would be an obvious candidate to come into the midfield after dominating the VFL all season, while Dayne Zorko's impending return would also bolster that part of the ground.

Daniel Rich and Jack Gunston are now entering week four of their training block and will be considered for a return this week.

Daniel Rich and Jack Gunston are now entering week four of their training block and will be considered for a return this week.
I really hope they do not bring back Rich and/or Gunston this week, they are almost certain to go well against one of the worst sides in AFL history which will not be a true indication of where they are at.

Both should be coming back through the reserves.

Eagles probably get a couple back but injury list still long.
west-coast.jpg

PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Coby Burgiel Hamstring 6-7 weeks
Greg Clark Foot 1-2 weeks
Tom Cole Ankle 1-2 weeks
Jai Culley Knee Season
Jack Darling Shoulder TBC
Harry Edwards Groin 6-7 weeks
Luke Foley Hamstring Test
Callum Jamieson Hip 1 week
Jamaine Jones Ankle 5-6 weeks
Jeremy McGovern Hamstring Test
Nic Naitanui Achilles Season
Samo Petrevski-Seton Quad 1-2 weeks
Josh Rotham Thumb 4 weeks
Liam Ryan Hamstring TBC
Jake Waterman Illness Indefinite
Connor West Knee TBC
Isiah Winder Knee 1-2 weeks
Elliot Yeo Hip 2-3 weeks
Updated: July 4, 2023

Early prognosis​

Darling is the main concern this week for the Eagles, who are expected to confirm the extent of his shoulder issue on Tuesday evening. McGovern hasn't played since round three but the defender is a strong chance to return from hamstring surgery if he gets through training on Wednesday. Tim Kelly and Luke Edwards missed last week with illness but the club expects them to be available to face Brisbane. – Nathan Schmook

I really hope they do not bring back Rich and/or Gunston this week, they are almost certain to go well against one of the worst sides in AFL history which will not be a true indication of where they are at.

Yep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not quite relevant but no Fritsch for Dees game next week.

Dunks has 15 days break to get himself up.

Does Andrews go direct to Allen (if Payne is out) and then Gardiner/Joyce play on the 2nd tall? I think Allen is playing extremely well and we need to shut him down to limit their scoring.

I've got nothing to add on Rich - I will be heartbroken for him if we win the flag this year and he's not part of it, but there's no denying we're playing stronger and faster without him right now.

Nathan Jones. Reckon he will be chuffed if we go the whole way.

Last edited:
The whole Rich and to a lesser extent Gunston question reminds me of the lead up to the 2001 Grand Final, when all the talk out of the Essendon camp was revolving around the question, “will Michael Long play?” I remember at the time being quite happy that Essendon were expending mental energy on that. It is not like the team were debilitated or that it cost them the game, I just thought it was a distraction.

At this stage Fagan just needs to dampen the issue down and I was pleased in his presser when he said that maybe Rich needed to come back through the reserves. I would have said that he definitely needs to come back through the reserves and he will be selected if his form warrants it and there is a place in the team available. Fagan clearly doesn’t enjoy questions on the topic, so he needs to kill it as a issue.
In 2001 we had a similar situation with Matthew Kennedy. Great player through all the years the Bears struggled, and he was even playing good footy in 2001, including in the prelim against Richmond. But not in our best 22 for Grand Final day, which was a pity, but it was the right call.

Fagan is pretty transparent and there'll always be cues around what he's leaning towards. I believe he has enough evidence now to know McKenna, Coleman, Wilmot is our best set of small rebound defenders along with Starce for lockdown. He went out of his way to say Rich has to fight for his spot so there is no instant return on cards for Rich even after the training block.

3 tall setup? He's still uncomfortable about moving away from it and wants to see lot more evidence. If he sticks to 3 talls later this season then Gunston return is always on the pipeline. Fagan is hanging on to 3 talls with Fort as sub so he can have the preferred setup at least for the final quarter lately.

Just received this club e-mail. Anyone else get one.
Not that i will be paying an extra $50 to watch the Eagles.
View attachment 1728954

this one's for you!

To thank you for your support throughout the season, we wanted to show our appreciation with a member exclusive offer.

For this week ONLY, members can upgrade to Area VIP for only $50 per person.

Experience the action like never before. Sit like a fan, feel like a VIP!

Contact our sales team directly via phone (07) 3335 1722 or click on the enquire button below so we can assist you in organising your upgrade.
yes, I got that as well and another one to the chairman's lounge. expecting a very small crowd on a Saturday during the day with kids sport on elsewhere.

brisbane.jpg

For a team that's won three straight matches and is about to face cellar dweller West Coast on Saturday, Brisbane has quite a few decisions to make. Forwards Callum Ah Chee (concussion) and Lincoln McCarthy (suspension) are unavailable, as is midfielder Josh Dunkley (calf). Former skipper Dayne Zorko is fit and available, while youngster Kai Lohmann should also come under consideration. Jack Gunston was named as an emergency last week, with he and Daniel Rich now a month into their training block. Jarryd Lyons is a standout candidate after dominating the VFL all season, while untried Blake Coleman has impressed in recent weeks. - Michael Whiting
R16 sub: Darcy Fort (replaced Josh Dunkley)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back