Prediction Changes Dogs V Bombers Round 21

1627881811551.png

Star midfielder Adam Treloar could be available to return against Essendon this week.

The 28-year-old has been sidelined since suffering an ankle syndesmosis injury in round 10 against St Kilda.

Treloar had surgery to repair the injury and after a slightly delayed rehabilitation timeline is now on the verge of bolstering the Bulldogs’ line-up.

“Adam has had a great block of six week following his syndesmosis injury,” head of medical services, Chris Bell, said.

“He hasn’t skipped a beat since he’s been back training with the main group. He will look to return to selection availability for this weekend.”

The Bulldogs will also likely have Taylor Duryea and Ed Richards return to availability.

Both missed Saturday’s win against the Adelaide Crows – Duryea was managed, while Richards sat out under concussion protocols after being injured the previous week against Melbourne.

“Ed still has some boxes to tick following the concussion he suffered in round 19. If he comes through (training) like I expect, he will return to playing this weekend,” Bell said.

“Taylor had some persisting general soreness following our game against Melbourne. He’s come in really well today and if he fully trains this week like I expect, he’ll return to playing this weekend.”

Injury list

Taylor Duryea (managed) – test
Ed Richards (concussion) – test
Adam Treloar (ankle) – test
Ryan Gardner (shoulder) – 1-2 weeks
Louis Butler (calf) – 2-3 weeks
Lin Jong (hamstring) – 2-3 weeks
Stefan Martin (groin/hip) – 2-3 weeks
Alex Keath (hamstring) – 2-3 weeks
Toby McLean (knee) - season
Mattdougie (pessimistic syndrome) - TBD

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Because I respect the rules of this board I'll make my exit rather than using the obvious retort that you're so desperate for. Clear as day you guys won't respect my opinion so it's wasted.

Have fun with your thread, maybe next year you won't be quite so dismissive of opposition posters trying to have a discussion

Take no notice. The way we set up our deficiencies are kind of looked after with our midfield. We don't concede a lot of goals because we don't really let the opposition get too many clear 1on1 chances. The closest we've been to letting a tall forwardline dismantle us has been West Coasts talls in round 2. Most of the time we concede goals from turnovers and get caught on the break. The Richmond game they really out pressured us.

SharkMeister4

Senior List
May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dude, we've been top 4 for efficiency inside 50 the entire year. We're .going to end up with 5 players kick 20+ goals this season, but yeah, it's going to be so hard to kick a score when you have Josh Schache line up on Cale Hooker and Zaine Cordy on Peter Wright..
I find stringer and tippa getting off the leash to be a pretty threatening prospect. without wanting to speak down on hooker and wright, there have been better key forward pairings that our team defence has managed well. we do however get caught out by fast ball movement a lot which I think stringer and tippa could profit a lot from

BrunswickDog

Team Captain
Jul 18, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cordy to hooker and schache to wright are pretty good matchups for my mind.

Hooker has pace issues and so does cordy, and schache matches up with Wright for size and mobility.

Dunks on stringer in the middle is not a bad match up either, with wood going to him in the forward 50.

Real question is if we bring back treloar straight away, and whether his limited game time affects our rotations

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Do you play Adz in the VFL and then send him down to Tassie to play the Hawks? Or manage him through the Bombers and Hawks game before a ramp up against Port?

No man is an island.

We play a strong team defence with plenty of pressure around the ball.

Sure, you can cherry pick a Cordy or Schache who may struggle one on one at times.

But there is a lot more to our defence than just Cordy and Schache.
Take no notice. The way we set up our deficiencies are kind of looked after with our midfield. We don't concede a lot of goals because we don't really let the opposition get too many clear 1on1 chances. The closest we've been to letting a tall forwardline dismantle us has been West Coasts talls in round 2. Most of the time we concede goals from turnovers and get caught on the break. The Richmond game they really out pressured us.
I go for a couple of hours and this is what happens...

I completely understand what you're saying, and yeah your team defence and pressure up the field is vital. We may experiment with someone like Nick Bryan inside 50 as well, depending on the fitness of the skipper (possible broken hand) and Jayden Laverde (shoulder) which means we probably have to put Francis in defence to take most likely Ugle-Hagan.
I find stringer and tippa getting off the leash to be a pretty threatening prospect. without wanting to speak down on hooker and wright, there have been better key forward pairings that our team defence has managed well. we do however get caught out by fast ball movement a lot which I think stringer and tippa could profit a lot from
Walla has been downright poor since the bye but I agree, I struggled to find the right match up for him amongst your defence except maybe Williams.

If Treloar is back, God help our midfield...

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yes reading the reporting Essendon's clash where Essendon who are also known as the Bombers will now play on Sunday as opposed to Friday which means Essendon have had a Friday night game stolen from them, so the Bombers to reiterate will play on Sunday.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
View attachment 1194180

Star midfielder Adam Treloar could be available to return against Essendon this week.

The 28-year-old has been sidelined since suffering an ankle syndesmosis injury in round 10 against St Kilda.

Treloar had surgery to repair the injury and after a slightly delayed rehabilitation timeline is now on the verge of bolstering the Bulldogs’ line-up.

“Adam has had a great block of six week following his syndesmosis injury,” head of medical services, Chris Bell, said.

“He hasn’t skipped a beat since he’s been back training with the main group. He will look to return to selection availability for this weekend.”

The Bulldogs will also likely have Taylor Duryea and Ed Richards return to availability.

Both missed Saturday’s win against the Adelaide Crows – Duryea was managed, while Richards sat out under concussion protocols after being injured the previous week against Melbourne.

“Ed still has some boxes to tick following the concussion he suffered in round 19. If he comes through (training) like I expect, he will return to playing this weekend,” Bell said.

“Taylor had some persisting general soreness following our game against Melbourne. He’s come in really well today and if he fully trains this week like I expect, he’ll return to playing this weekend.”

Injury list

So barring further injury, we are looking at a full list bar Toby come finals time.

Liking Footscrays chances.

For a team that has had a lot of hype around them this year and is meant to be a finals chance, they sure do seem to leak a lot of scores. Fifth worst is the league for points against.

Hopefully a few of the boys fill their boots this weekend.

Al dente

All Australian
Sep 11, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
View attachment 1194180

Injury list

good to see us start to get a few back, the MD injury is a worry though:)

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Dude, we've been top 4 for efficiency inside 50 the entire year. We're .going to end up with 5 players kick 20+ goals this season, but yeah, it's going to be so hard to kick a score when you have Josh Schache line up on Cale Hooker and Zaine Cordy on Peter Wright..

Bulldogs have the third most efficent defense but go off buddy

Shacf501

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cordy to hooker and schache to wright are pretty good matchups for my mind.

Hooker has pace issues and so does cordy, and schache matches up with Wright for size and mobility.

Dunks on stringer in the middle is not a bad match up either, with wood going to him in the forward 50.

Real question is if we bring back treloar straight away, and whether his limited game time affects our rotations
I would be bringing him (Treloar) straight in. Lets be honest, he is in the best 22, we are going to make top 4 regardless so we need him to get some match time... rather he get it in the seniors than playing for the VFL Thats based on the assumption he is fully fit.

In my opinion Richards should come straight back in and also Duraey. Unfortunately Roarke and Scott go out and Garcia could also be unlucky..

Bulldogs have the third most efficent defense but go off buddy
Depends how you measure it. Yes, you're third for points conceded but you're 7th for goals conceded per inside 50, which is what I tend to focus on more because it's a better measure of how strong a back line is rather than looking at the former.

I think if we can get your defenders one-on-one inside 50 we'll play well.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Depends how you measure it. Yes, you're third for points conceded but you're 7th for goals conceded per inside 50, which is what I tend to focus on more because it's a better measure of how strong a back line is rather than looking at the former.

It's a function of how we play. We don't concede a lot of inside-50s in the first place which is the major obstacle. If your forwards are getting a lot of supply, it indicates our gameplan is falling apart elsewhere, so we're probably losing regardless of how efficient your forwards are. To beat us, you beat our midfield

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I don't disagree but getting one on ones against our defence is extremely difficult. Our midfield does an insane amount of work pushing back. Bont, Macrae, Hunter and Dunkley in particular all push back hard to minimise that. It's an overlooked aspect of our team defence.

Centre clearances will crucial. Essendon will need to win more than their fair share of centre clearances to get the 1v1s you require.

It's a function of how we play. We don't concede a lot of inside-50s in the first place which is the major obstacle. If your forwards are getting a lot of supply, it indicates our gameplan is falling apart elsewhere, so we're probably losing regardless of how efficient your forwards are. To beat us, you beat our midfield
I don't disagree but getting one on ones against our defence is extremely difficult. Our midfield does an insane amount of work pushing back. Bont, Macrae, Hunter and Dunkley in particular all push back hard to minimise that. It's an overlooked aspect of our team defence.

Centre clearances will crucial. Essendon will need to win more than their fair share of centre clearances to get the 1v1s you require.
Yep, I agree with all of the above. I just think if we're able to get them it's basically our only chance at winning this.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yep, I agree with all of the above. I just think if we're able to get them it's basically our only chance at winning this.
The main reason we concede a fair bit per inside 50 is because we play such an attacking high defensive press that when teams do get through and we concede inside 50 they’ve usually got a pretty good look, but we keep those opportunities pretty scarce which is why we concede low scores overall.

The one way you can get us is quick Ball movement catching our defenders out but that means you’ll have to go close to breaking even in the guts which won’t be easy

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For a team that has had a lot of hype around them this year and is meant to be a finals chance, they sure do seem to leak a lot of scores. Fifth worst is the league for points against.

Hopefully a few of the boys fill their boots this weekend.
They concede big scores, if we’re on it could be a day out for the likes of Naughty, Bruce and especially JUH, he could be on for his first bag here

Back