Preview Changes Dogs V Lions at Mars 10.4.21 - Rd 4, 2021

samass03

Senior List
Oct 13, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
One thing to note is how slow Brisbane’s backline is Andrews, Birchall, Rich, Payne, Ballenden, Prior all super slow.

I really hope Cav gets a game and Naughtons athleticism will be vital!

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
So is Cavarra, will he get a game? Anyone who knows footy and knows our side well, they would know that Jong is not in our best 22. His skill set just isn’t up to it. He is a great back up, great mark, but disposal and decision making is not AFL standard, come on champ
You do a good impression of a Essendon/Carlton supporter with your “champ” talk. But same as those guys, you need evidence to back up your ego.

I would suggest that our Football partment would fall under the category of “anyone who knows footy and knows our side well” and they have basically had him as a first choice player whenever fit for the last 5 years.

I’m assuming you haven’t watched the video but those of us on here hoping he gets a run soon have basically said he’s a great option to fill Wallis’ spot or VM if he goes down. Can apply immense forward 50 pressure, great pace, excellent mark and shot at goal.

Perfect skill set for our forward line up right now. He’s not in our best 22 but you never really get your best 22 on the park even in round one of the year. He’s in our best 26 and is very versatile, and has many traits that would compliment our current team.

I would guess he’ll get a run in the next couple weeks and I will be very confident having him in the side.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You do a good impression of a Essendon/Carlton supporter with your “champ” talk. But same as those guys, you need evidence to back up your ego.

I would suggest that our Football partment would fall under the category of “anyone who knows footy and knows our side well” and they have basically had him as a first choice player whenever fit for the last 5 years.

I’m assuming you haven’t watched the video but those of us on here hoping he gets a run soon have basically said he’s a great option to fill Wallis’ spot or VM if he goes down. Can apply immense forward 50 pressure, great pace, excellent mark and shot at goal.

Perfect skill set for our forward line up right now. He’s not in our best 22 but you never really get your best 22 on the park even in round one of the year. He’s in our best 26 and is very versatile, and has many traits that would compliment our current team.

I would guess he’ll get a run in the next couple weeks and I will be very confident having him in the side.
Agree with most of what you say here, but I still don’t agree that he’d make the current side better, don’t wish anything against Jongy, because he has been a great clubman, and is tough as nails, but he gets injured when someone breathes on him and we really should’ve moved him on sooner like we did with Adams

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Agree with most of what you say here, but I still don’t agree that he’d make the current side better, don’t wish anything against Jongy, because he has been a great clubman, and is tough as nails, but he gets injured when someone breathes on him and we really should’ve moved him on sooner like we did with Adams

We didn't move Adams on, he requested a trade to Brisbane specifically. Jong toured Magpies training facilities, but never requested a trade, and was happy to stay. Whether any other clubs enquired, or we fielded any offers for him was not reported/confirmed.

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
He gets injured not because he’s breathed on but because he’s fearless in his attack on the ball and man. Needs to learn how to protect his body.

We’ve got a medical sub now, so not a huge risk if he does get injured.

I assume we’ve kept him on the list because he is an AFL quality player, who is super versatile, tough and has a bunch of skills that compliment our list. Most importantly he’s on minimum chips.

List cloggers aren’t good enough to play at senior level and impact, that has never been Jong’s problem. Just needs to learn how to protect his body.

Generation West

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Balta and astbury are all Australian level guns.......

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Come on mate - Bolta has played 20 games. He has potential but he is far from All Australian. You are getting Astbury mixed up with Grimes my friend - he is a good honest plodder.

Grimes, Vlaustin, Short and Lambert are their defenders in the All Australian convo.

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Richmond has an elite defensive system. Ryan Gardner would also look AA quality the way they structure up.

Whether that system can hold up with the new rule changes remains to be seem. I suspect it will after a few tweaks, but zoning and guarding space just waiting for the high ball is frought with danger against sides who can retain possession and pick out targets with clean foot skills.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
It wouldn't be probably a completely bad idea for North Melbourne to approach WBFC with an offer for a straight late swap of venues this weekend. The Bulldogs playing Brisbane at a 42000 capacity Marvel Stadium @ 1.10pm on Sunday and North playing Adelaide at a 8533 capacity Mars Stadium @ 1.10pm Saturday somehow makes more sense ATM :winkv1:

The weather in Ballarat on both days while forecast to be three degrees cooler with a 28-30 kph Westerly (blowing directly from behind the Eureka Stand), is not predicted to be as wet as Melbourne but at least they can close the roof at Marvel on Sunday when it's forecast to be wetter.

Although the practicalities of Ballarat's sponsorship payent for the Doggies in Ballarat and the extra premium which non-Ballarat fans pay would be a bit of a mine field. :think: Well, it almost made sense.

Last edited:
I'd rather give up two home games to Ballarat over 11 home games to Tasmania which the AFL looks like it is going to force Norf into.

Don’t think it’s an either or scenario... I’d rather neither
That sentiment is certainly understandable but I don't think we have the luxury of playing all 11 home games at Marvel.

We'd still be playing at least one fundraising game interstate or overseas (eg NZ).

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
I'd rather give up two home games to Ballarat over 11 home games to Tasmania which the AFL looks like it is going to force Norf into.
I am still not getting how Tasmania is supposed to be North Melbourne’s deliverance and salvation? Relocating is not going to make the team play better. It isn't going to guarantee on field success. It would centainly cease to be North Melbourne as we know it and I suspect would haemorrhage its 32,000 Victorian based members. Thus Victorian football would be beleaguered and weakened by the forced rembranding and relocating of one of its oldest teams.

Imagine the boot being on the other foot and the media and arm chair experts crapping on every other week that the Western Bulldogs should up stumps and rebrand and relocate as the Western Victoria Bulldogs permanently based out of Ballarat. Jesus! You blokes wouldn't swallow that crap, so why do you think for a minute that it's fair to throw that at the feet of North Melbourne FC or its owners (the members)?

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I am still not getting how Tasmania is supposed to be North Melbourne’s deliverance and salvation? Relocating is not going to make the team play better. It isn't going to guarantee on field success. It would centainly cease to be North Melbourne as we know it and I suspect would haemorrhage its 32,000 Victorian based members. Thus Victorian football would be beleaguered and weakened by the forced rembranding and relocating of one of its oldest teams.

Imagine the boot being on the other foot and the media and arm chair experts crapping on every other week that the Western Bulldogs should up stumps and rebrand and relocate as the Western Victoria Bulldogs permanently based out of Ballarat. Jesus! You blokes wouldn't swallow that crap, so why do you think for a minute that it's fair to throw that at the feet of North Melbourne FC or its owners (the members)?

I don’t think north should relocate and I don’t think it will make north more viable. Tasmanians don’t want a rebranded team and I can’t see them jumping on board one. If it isn’t going to make north more viable then there is zero point doing it.

However in saying that North and Hawthorn should not be getting paid by Tasmania to play in Tasmania anymore because all that is doing is prolonging Tasmania getting an AFL team of their own which is long over due.

The only viable option for a Tasmanian team is a brand new team and unlike Gold Coast and GWS it would have a soul and culture because Tasmania is a football state. But it shouldn’t be brought in at the expense of a team with history which rules out replacing a Victorian team.

mattwa

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2007
wa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jeez the stars are aligning for us big time. Brissie have been away from home for a few weeks and are down a few cattle. Witts has just done his ACL for GC which is obviously shocking for him and I wish the bloke all the best but he would have caused us some head aches. Really should be 6-0 at the end of this block of games going into the Friday night clash against the Tigs at the G

mattwa

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2007
wa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jeez the stars are aligning for us big time. Brissie have been away from home for a few weeks and are down a few cattle. Witts has just done his ACL for GC which is obviously shocking for him and I wish the bloke all the best but he would have caused us some head aches. Really should be 6-0 at the end of this block of games going into the Friday night clash against the Tigs at the G
Oh and Cogs, Davis and De Boar were injured yesterday for GWS

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Suns won't have Witts or Rowell. We should chop them up in the middle. Also there defence is good intercepting but means they are vulnerable because of how aggressively they defend. Especially with their midfield injuries that will give us a huge advantage.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Who’s missing at Brisbane?

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Think Treloar moves more forward this game, go Hunter/Smith wings and Bont/Macrae/Libba/Dunkley as the main mids. Just a bit concerned about the amount of offensive mids Brisbane have and whether they'll look to exploit Treloar's matchup. He's not as bad defensively as Pies supporters say he was but he'd still be our least defensive midfielder out of the 5. Or do we back in Libba to win the clearance anyway and go with Treloar as the distributor?

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Think Treloar moves more forward this game, go Hunter/Smith wings and Bont/Macrae/Libba/Dunkley as the main mids. Just a bit concerned about the amount of offensive mids Brisbane have and whether they'll look to exploit Treloar's matchup. He's not as bad defensively as Pies supporters say he was but he'd still be our least defensive midfielder out of the 5. Or do we back in Libba to win the clearance anyway and go with Treloar as the distributor?

Back us to win clearances and play aggressively. The only team that we should have a more defensive mindset is WCE with NN tapping it to whomever he wants. We should back ourselves against every other unit.

JJHunter

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
After a 21 goal win, the only changes likely are those enforced by injury.

While I get your point doesnt it make his 9 touch performance even worse ?
That we won by so much, had so much of the ball, for him to manage such little impact on the game.

And before people say he had 3 shots on goal - Its exactly what Mitch Wallis had the week prior in a much closer game before being dropped.
So if we are at all consistent with our selection policy then McNeal should be made to work on his game at Footscray.

So when there is such clear and strong pushes from the lower leagues you make the change even after a 128 p win.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
I'll be crossing my fingers for a Doggies win this Saturday :)

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Big Oscar, Neale is underdone, Jarred Berry, Rayner, McStay from the best 22. A few are tests but wouldnt be suprised if Brissie lean on the side of caution and just get home unscathed

Didn’t realise they had that many out. Not a bad time to play them then I guess.

JJHunter

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If you were Cav you would be walking slowly

McNeils point of difference is his pace and it’s become crucial with the new rules

That’s not to say West or Cav don’t deserve a go but talking of walking out is crazy talk

Hahah good ol pace hey - lets draft usain Bolt then - he has a clear point of difference.
Unfortunately you still need to be able to do the basics.

To go with his 9 touches a game and less than average efficiency McNeal has layed just 4 tackles in Total inside 3 games - and only 1 of those tackles inside fifty. he has had 2 1% registered across 3 games. Yes 2.
Its not like the kid is using his pace to be

Oh but he has pace though so his metres gained must be high - carrying the ball distance - nup nothing there either - 2 bounces for the year only.
140 metres gained rd1, 242 rd2 and 212 in a 128 point thumping. When you have just 9 touches is an average of close to 20m a touch.

Pace is only good when you use it to your advantage and Id say his intercept against the Eagles the only time its advantaged the side.

match committe simply must reward the form of cavarra at the lower levels

Back