Preview Changes Dogs V Lions at Mars 10.4.21 - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane are due to get Darcy Gardiner back this week I heard.

I’m still so scarred by Youngs kicking in the home game v GWS in 2017...
im scarred by his kicking throughout the back end of 17, playing too much too early was detrimental to his development. One of Bevo's failings over the last few years has been choosing to play "cooked" youngsters/ favourites to their, and the teams, detriment.

I don't see it with Scott or McNeil. Not writing both off yet but Cavarra, West even Louis butler have all shown more

What I'd love to see is Gardner and Scott/JJ out, Cordy and Marra in.

Judging from Bevo's comments throughout the year I believe Marra is not close to senior footy from a strength/fitness perspective.

Look at Will Phillips yesterday. 12 months without match footy for these Victorian kids is rough. As we are in a position where we don't have to rush him before he's ready we should take full advantage of that.

Judging from Bevo's comments throughout the year I believe Marra is not close to senior footy from a strength/fitness perspective.

Look at Will Phillips yesterday. 12 months without match footy for these Victorian kids is rough. As we are in a position where we don't have to rush him before he's ready we should take full advantage of that.

Marra won't play more than about 8 games for us this season.

Come finals time I wouldn't be shocked to see him as the injury sub. He probably won't even have the fitness to run out full games but he could win us games off his own boot if he's subbed in later during the game.

Of course his 1st game should be a full length "best 22" game. Which could happen for the Gold Coast Suns game (No Witts means Martin might get the rest for that game).

Scott can’t finish, neither can McNeil. They’ve both had a good taste, let them work on their goalkicking in the twos. I know we won’t drop both, but I feel we’ve been carrying them a bit last three weeks. 2 changes for mine. Scott or McNeil for Cavarra, Young/Cordy for Gardner
absolutely agree, huge upside with McNeil, but Scott is very vanilla, both need a stint in the twos, McNeil to work on finishing, and Scott work on releasing the ball when tackled

Judging by Bevo presser Wally could be in trouble. Mentioned that he was a victim of us playing a 3 tall forward line / 2 ruck combo. Feel for Wally but he does look a bit redundant unfortunately.

Bevo also seems to be keeping Marra well and truly in check. Reporter asked him if the off season recruiting may have given Bruce some extra motivation this year (an obvious reference to us recruiting Marra) and his reply was possibly with the inclusion of Stef Martin, but we have Josh Schache playing and developing really well.

Earn your stripes young fella !
Jamarra strikes me as a pretty confident kid with a bit of swagger and arrogance. Maybe he has a bit too much and the coach is bringing him back down to earth.

McNeil is very good at reading the play and intercepting the ball. I think he should have a stint in the 2s but that asset he has could be very very valuable going forward. Those turnovers he create will land us more goals when he becomes the more polished product.

We could go even taller forward. The more dangerous forward targets we have will force teams to go very tall in defence. And thus far we look most vulnerable when teams have elite speed and kicking from defensive half to break our zone. That will be less of a factor when teams are forced to go tall.

Cavarra deserves a crack. Give him a shot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree Scott and McNeill have had 3 games to grab their spot. They have been ok but yet to lock themselves in.

Time for some other lads to get their opportunity (hopefully for at least 3 games also).

Out: Gardner (inj)
In: Lewy Young

Out: Scott
In: West

Out: McNeill
In: Cavarra

I prefer Lipinski over JJ (slightly) but don’t mind either. One to play and one as the injury sub.

Judging by Bevo presser Wally could be in trouble. Mentioned that he was a victim of us playing a 3 tall forward line / 2 ruck combo. Feel for Wally but he does look a bit redundant unfortunately.

Bevo also seems to be keeping Marra well and truly in check. Reporter asked him if the off season recruiting may have given Bruce some extra motivation this year (an obvious reference to us recruiting Marra) and his reply was possibly with the inclusion of Stef Martin, but we have Josh Schache playing and developing really well.

Jamarra strikes me as a pretty confident kid with a bit of swagger and arrogance. Maybe he has a bit too much and the coach is bringing him back down to earth.
Jamarra's tank might be the primary reason he doesn't see much senior action this year...if that's how it pans out. Didn't play last year due to Covid, and there are less rotations and the game is faster this year. Seems an incredibly measured approach Bevo is taking and I'm all for it as it increases his chances of longevity and coming in fit and confident when he does so.

Plus, and a little surprisingly, our forward line seems to be functioning better than it has since way back when in the meantime. It's a pretty good position to be in when you're not desperate to throw your highly valued but possibly under-developed No.1 pick in ahead of time to cover a weakness.

Listening to Bev it sounds like Young for Gardiner.

Keep in mind Lippy wasn't in the team and I would have thought did enough to stay in so probably Scott for Lippy.

Can't see any more changes after a 128 point win

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Given Young has been in the emergencies last 2 weeks and Lions have 2 extremely tall forwards in Daniher and Hipwood, I reckon Young is a lock to come in for Gardner.

Lipinski comes into the 22 and Scott comes out. He's shown he's solid enough depth but he's not best 22 in this unit at the current time.

Cavarra and West deserve inclusion if anyone is very sore, not 100%.

If Marra's good enough and fit enough we'll find a spot for him, even if it's just as an oversized HFF.

We need blokes with swagger as long as they have the skills to back it up (and he does). I love Naughton's in-your-face arrogance, probably because I hate it when the oppo players do that to us.

Don't coach the swagger out of him Bevo.

Scott can’t finish, neither can McNeil. They’ve both had a good taste, let them work on their goalkicking in the twos. I know we won’t drop both, but I feel we’ve been carrying them a bit last three weeks. 2 changes for mine. Scott or McNeil for Cavarra, Young/Cordy for Gardner
Agree with those. I’m going out on a limb here, and I know it won’t happen, but I’d also change Hunter for Lipinski. I thought Hunter was just ok in a dominant performance.

Schache is ahead of Marra for selection based on what I saw yesterday. One made it through the game with flying colours, marking and leading until the final siren. The other spent most of the second half either stretching out calf cramp or standing with his hands on his hips.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back