Preview Changes Dogs V Lions at Mars 10.4.21 - Rd 4, 2021

Roondog

Rookie
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Does anyone know if the team travels on match day or is there training run in Ballarat leading up to the game?
Think they get there the day before. Either that or they just arrive really early, I usually see some of them in the coffee shops early in the morning before the game.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Assuming he gets the nod this is possibly Lewis Young's most important game of his career. He has the chance to make the second tall defender his own if he fails then it goes to Cordy who is ok but undersized. I would play him on Hipwood.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Assuming he gets the nod this is possibly Lewis Young's most important game of his career. He has the chance to make the second tall defender his own if he fails then it goes to Cordy who is ok but undersized. I would play him on Hipwood.
If he gets his chance it's his last chance IMO. He's had nearly 4 years of development and is coming into a side with a really strong midfield that is playing well, with a defensive system that is holding up with some mature key players (Keath, Wood, Williams, Duryea etc.). It really is open for him to take his chance if he gets it.

Dec 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arizona Cardinals
Wally might ask for a trade at the end of this season if he can’t hold a spot, and follow through this time 😢

It would be very sad if it happened but I’m sure it would be a very mature discussion on all sides. He’d be a walk up start at many clubs - he’s just out of balance in our FL, not as good in the guts as our very deep midfield and I can’t see him down back. Makes it very very tough. Amazing clubman, great character but if he can’t hold his spot it makes it hard for all concerned.

Jeff 1975

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2018
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Refreshing to play a team of similar stature
3 wins, top of the ladder, fantastic work
This week is a little different Brisbane are very tall and Daniher worries me
However if we stick to our game plan we should be ok
Gardner injured
Le. Young was emergency so I guess he might be in or Cordy
Lipinski in
Go Dogs, keep rolling

John Smith92

Team Captain
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You are a very hard task master.
Keith, Williams, Crozier, Daniel are close to elite defenders.
Wood, Duryea experienced, accountable foot soldiers who do a job week in week out.
Dale - was not remotely convinced but the coach got me again. So far working.
Question is only on our second KPD. Did not rate Gardner but has been very solid in 2games this year. Young, Cordy or Schache to step up.

Think we are ok down back with Scott, JJ, Butler, Khamis as options as well.
Don't think you can call Keith close to elite as a key back, he's better than what we had before him but a long way behind Andrews, Tarrant, McGovern, Balta, Moore, Talia, Weitering and probably others I forget, and as you said 2nd KPD is a significant concern. I agree with MD about our weakness 1 on 1, aside from the glaring hole in KPD stocks I'd argue we need another good lockdown small, traditional back pocket type of player.

Generation West

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don't think you can call Keith close to elite as a key back, he's better than what we had before him but a long way behind Andrews, Tarrant, McGovern, Balta, Moore, Talia, Weitering and probably others I forget, and as you said 2nd KPD is a significant concern. I agree with MD about our weakness 1 on 1, aside from the glaring hole in KPD stocks I'd argue we need another good lockdown small, traditional back pocket type of player.
Fair enough - we all got an opinion.
Plays in the key post, rarely gets goals kicked on him and is probably more suited to a 3rd tall intercept role, but we haven’t got another tall stopper that is better than him. Is brave, durable and a good decision maker with reasonable skills.

You validate the point of me suggesting all of us wanting 23 superstar players each week - we all want that but it’s not possible to fit them all in. If we had Andrews, Moore, Weitering, McGovern we would be almost unbeatable, but these blokes are on 800 - 900k and impossible to recruit.

Our list is as good or better than anyone, possibly Port and Richmond aside. We have great midfield depth and forward line depth surprisingly. Whilst our backline is not our strength, I don’t see it as a weakness. I am happy with Keith, just need Gardner fit again and Lewy Young or Cordy to show something.

Generation West

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fair enough - we all got an opinion.
Plays in the key post, rarely gets goals kicked on him and is probably more suited to a 3rd tall intercept role, but we haven’t got another tall stopper that is better than him. Is brave, durable and a good decision maker with reasonable skills.

You validate the point of me suggesting all of us wanting 23 superstar players each week - we all want that but it’s not possible to fit them all in. If we had Andrews, Moore, Weitering, McGovern we would be almost unbeatable, but these blokes are on 800 - 900k and impossible to recruit.

Our list is as good or better than anyone, possibly Port and Richmond aside. We have great midfield depth and forward line depth surprisingly. Whilst our backline is not our strength, I don’t see it as a weakness. I am happy with Keith, just need Gardner fit again and Lewy Young or Cordy to show something.
This should probably be in the trade and list management thread too - my bad.

Aug 1, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No. No. And no. A permanently relocated team is a dead team. They could try to relocate it but it would be dead. The Swans are not South Melbourne any more than Brisbane represents any tradition of Fitzroy. I would totally resent the use of our colours in a new AFL franchise interstate, the plaigerising and bastardisation of the club song, and relocation of club awards, memorabilia and trophies won as a Victorian team being claimed interstate.

They might as well change the colours and drop the "Kangaroos" branding altogether, because to keep them would defile the club's history and be seen rightly by former supporters as a cynical and transparent attempt to lure old supporters and money to their new manufactured franchise. I would hold nothing but bitterness and resentment to the club if they ever turned on their owners (us members) in that way. Don't forget that it's the members who own the club, not the AFL. The club executive and the AFL would lose our money and support forever if they attempted to shaft the members. I don't reward disloyalty or treachery and I don't know many people that do.

I would prefer the club to shut down and to have all of its memorabilia and trophies kept on display at the North Melbourne library or at the former NM town hall. The AFL could then raise a new team ... the "Tassie Titans" using former North Melbourne staff and players, but just don't use the colours, "Kangaroos" or the club song. And don't expect me or 32,000 former Victorian members to support any new interstate franchise.

Nobody will convince me that the AFL will be enriched by the loss of any Victorian team.
A merger of North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs has always made sense to me.
Renamed Footscray or West Melbourne Kangaroos - Home Jumper Bulldogs, Away Jumper North, demand 11 home games at Dome / MCG
Future Secured - mega club - make it so

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lewis Young played his best game against GWS in the last losing final against them, was our best defender that day

Back