Preview Changes Dogs V Lions at Mars 10.4.21 - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Think its a big risk going up against Daniher and Hipwood this small, especially since Hipwood gave us a bath last time. The conditions might not favour the bigs at least but I'd feel more confident with Cordy or Young in.

Hipwood and Daniher are huge units, but I wouldn't call either of them a power fwd in the same way that Lynch or Dixon are.
For that reason, and that we are playing on a regional ground with a lot more exposure to the weather, I can see why we've gone this way.
I'm backing Keath, with Wood and Williams to "play tall", and Naughton as the get out of jail option if things go awry.

And they have two plodders listed as their followers (McCarthy and Lyons). We're going to absolutely towel up these show ponies.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Hipwood and Daniher are huge units, but I wouldn't call either of them a power fwd in the same way that Lynch or Dixon are.
For that reason, and that we are playing on a regional ground with a lot more exposure to the weather, I can see why we've gone this way.
I'm backing Keath, with Wood and Williams to "play tall", and Naughton as the get out of jail option if things go awry.

And they have two plodders listed as their followers (McCarthy and Lyons). We're going to absolutely towel up these show ponies.

Hipwood certainly plays below his size, although draws a lot of free kicks. Wouldn't say the same about Daniher but Keath will go to him so that's fine. He would eat Williams or Wood alive.

I wouldn't discount the Brisbane midfield. Neale, Lyons and Zorko absolutely destroyed us last time. Had about 30 clearances between them and it felt like about 15 in a row. McInerney was dominant against English when I think he had an ankle issue, so they shouldn't get the free ride this time around. Think we will better them in the midfield but its the toughest test we've faced this year so far.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I actually love it. Seriously unless it's west coast with Nic Nat and their talls I really think we should be looking to blast teams away with all our mids and rebound at will with our smaller defenders.

If we lose this game it will be due to the midfield not getting the job done and not the "how many talls do we select down back"

All Wood needs to do is take a body. Ditto Keath. If we win and control the midfield we shouldn't fear their forward line.

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hipwood certainly plays below his size, although draws a lot of free kicks. Wouldn't say the same about Daniher but Keath will go to him so that's fine. He would eat Williams or Wood alive.

I wouldn't discount the Brisbane midfield. Neale, Lyons and Zorko absolutely destroyed us last time. Had about 30 clearances between them and it felt like about 15 in a row. McInerney was dominant against English when I think he had an ankle issue, so they shouldn't get the free ride this time around. Think we will better them in the midfield but its the toughest test we've faced this year so far.

We also have Stef for the inside info! 😉

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Nah this isn't a bad decision. 15 degrees, windy and 1-5mm tomorrow. They'll be banking on the talls not having a big day out which I think is probably the right play.

Back our smaller defenders to body spoil hipwood and daniher in the greasy conditions and use our ground ball skills to clear it out cleanly.

On first look it seems crazy, but I reckon we've made the right call here.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Except we’ve got a tall forward line and no AFL standard small forwards (dunno if Vanders counts as a small forward)

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania

Good comment. I actually forgot about this and went back and checked the stats for this match. We were well beaten despite having our first choice midfield selected. We can't take it for granted that we will win the midfield battle because theirs is very good. Hopefully having Martin rucking for us will even things up this time.

Lyons gave our mids a bit of a bath last year, more clearances than any of our mids and the same amount as Libba and Dunkley combined.
Bit of a strange one where Macrae got 40, Bont 30 but overall we were well beaten inside the contest.

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lyons gave our mids a bit of a bath last year, more clearances than any of our mids and the same amount as Libba and Dunkley combined.
Bit of a strange one where Macrae got 40, Bont 30 but overall we were well beaten inside the contest.

We were coming off two losses, no Treloar, no Martin.

It will be a lot different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Sack everyone. Shut BF down.

Looking forward to see us live and how we line up, and our game plan. But FMD that's an interesting selection. If only League Teams was still around, the 3 wise monkeys would be up in arms.

BigFooty team selection 3 weeks ago: ""We can't win tomorrow with Ryan Gardiner in the team!!!!

BigFooty team selection today: ""We can't win tomorrow without Ryan Gardiner in the team!!!!

CountryDog5

Backseat Footballer
Oct 14, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I've had a couple guys say this to me. My point was that it made no sense for us to go taller in defence with our team changes. Us having a tall forward line is another issue altogether, but I'm not sure if we'd drop any of Martin, English, Bruce or Naughts based on current form.

I'd much prefer McNeil or Scott out for West or Cavarra but we're obviously happy with how the current 22 is performing.
Except we’ve got a tall forward line and no AFL standard small forwards (dunno if Vanders counts as a small forward)

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’d just like see where Young is at.

Gardiner has had innumerable chances, but Young and Cordy are treated like lepers.
Keath isn’t young, so Lewis Young is one player we need to find out about.

Also wonder about a lot of the unwarranted faith we have innWood. He is no where near the player of 2015.

Wetdog

I really am Aker.
Jun 23, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
I’d just like see where Young is at.

Gardiner has had innumerable chances, but Young and Cordy are treated like lepers.
Keath isn’t young, so Lewis Young is one player we need to find out about.

Also wonder about a lot of the unwarranted faith we have innWood. He is no where near the player of 2015.

Keath isn’t Young. Hard to disagree with that statement!

Spiritof82

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2004
S**tny, the cesspit of OZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
If the weather conditions are going to be as bad as they are predicting where the game will turn into a scrappy wet weather wrestling match then the one player we don't want out there is JJ, he's not suited to anything where body contact is involved

Dec 26, 2005
Park Orchards
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ParkOrchards FC. Mitch-Scot Cycling
Gardner out

Lippa in

Is Cordy really that bad?

No he’s not.

On the outer unfortunately... perhaps he hasn’t achieved what’s been asked of him throughout the pre-season and maybe his last few weeks in the VFL. I hope he gets another crack at it though. Seems to have been written off by everyone and I think he deserves a little more respect than what he’s been afforded lately.

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Nothing wrong with having marking power on a wet day.

Lionscan kick long and high to Fullerton, McInerney, Daniher and Hipwood. Leave Cameron at their feet. Wait until all the smaller dogs defenders go up to punch and swoop.

Last edited:
... or we play a zone with Keath playing deep and if Brisbane's talls (who can't hit the side of a barn) want to run off and take marks 45m out on the bundary, we let them and set up for the kick in.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Are there any decent pubs to watch the game around Footscray?

I go to most games so I’m not often in this situation...but whenever I am we always struggle to find somewhere decent that has a few Doggies fans in there. We used to go to Mona Castle which is now sadly not an option. I say ‘sadly’ but they did try to close on us at halftime last year.

Anyone tried Chips Loft? Maybe a bit twatty.

Or on the other end of the spectrum, The Braybrook Hotel?

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah, fairly aware of that Legend but thanks so much for reminding me. Bevo dropped Trengrove after a single game last year.... not a world beater and probably not quite up to it for a full season agreed but possibly a reasonable option in the odd game here and there as a back-up to a young and physically developing ruckman. I’m sure Josh Dunkley and Jackson Macrae agree.
Anyway who cares.... it was a throwaway comment in the first place.
So much so that you replied twice but there you go

Remove this Banner Ad

Back