Prediction Changes Dogs V Saints 18/3/2023 Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think it’s as simple as lowering our eyes. There’s nothing to kick to further up the ground where we’re a bunch of stagnant witches hats.

Plus we win huge clearance numbers but we overpossess the footy and flick it around sideways & backwards which runs us into trouble and means we’re hacking it forward to a flood of defenders who have already gotten back behind the ball.

This is purely by design, we got a jump on the comp with this style where we flicked it around into space but it’s been found out (5 years ago…) when the opposition realised if you sit on the outlets and let us overpossess the footy until we turn it over. Times have changed, you watch the damage Melbourne do to us out of the stoppages and it’s a surge of forward running players, with one to two forward handballs max and quick entries. They don’t sit defensive side of the contest and pray we don’t hurt them, they think how can we win this contest and move it forward. Not how can we stop the opposition doing this.

Going more defensive is not the answer, the best defence in the centre circle is offence, win the ball and get it going our way. Were more than capable of beating any midfield in the comp for clearance numbers - but it’s our reluctance to attack from them and our pussy farting little handballs where no one wants to find themselves in trouble.

Ride the pressure FFS and move the ball forward this hot potato bullshit hasn’t worked in years
I think half of our problem is that our players are flat footed so even when they do get the ball they are often tied up in a tackle and we are forced backwards . The reason why Bont gets away with it is because generally speaking he is moving when he gets the ball so he can break away or get the ball moving forward. Mcrae does not do this, libba does on occasions but mcrae very rarely does. Most of the time his centre clearances are when someone has given him hands. The bloke also takes an eternity to get up of the ground once he falls over and to be honest some of his body language has become bit sooky lately.

I hope buku gets a game this week anyone agree?
Yes, and once Bendendo an Jones are over there injuries they need a chance as well. Players who can run and spread.

Its clear as day we need more athletic types in the side and these 3 are the best we have. I'm a big Khamis fan is well.

Doc Bruce Crozier
Richards Jones/Keath Dale
Williams Libba Baz
Treloar Marra Buku
West Naughty Garcia

English Bont Macrae

Daniel JJ Darcy Scott

Out: Hannan, Lobb, Baker, Jones/Keath (depending on injury, could also give Keath one more shot over Bruce if Jones is fit but Bruce was better.

In: West, Buku, Garcia, Crozier

JJ back to half back as 7th defender, we miss his speed back there. Daniel to half forward.
Won’t happen though

I want Clarke in. Genuine small forward.
But he has only played the one practise game..
If he has the fitness, throw him in.
Give us a spark.

Also Khamis is an absolute must.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The telling sign is that he wasn’t even considered for the 5th bench spot.

No Dunkley and potentially lacking some in and under grunt, and he still hasn’t done enough to be in the current 23.

Almost 23 years old. Something’s gotta click for him, or it could be another wasted career.
If West didn't have the familiar relationship with a club great he just wouldn't draw the level of discussion that he has in here.

He'd be lumped in with McNeil, McComb, Jones, Vandermeer, McComb, Raak Baker and all the other guys who make up the 30-42 section of our list.

Having said that, as I understand it he had an interrupted pre-season so that may explain why he wasn't selected last week.

If West didn't have the familiar relationship with a club great he just wouldn't draw the level of discussion that he has in here.

He'd be lumped in with McNeil, McComb, Jones, Vandermeer, McComb, Raak Baker and all the other guys who make up the 30-42 section of our list.

Having said that, as I understand it he had an interrupted pre-season so that may explain why he wasn't selected last week.
That’s just not fair at all, he’s been in our top handful of players in the VFL every year, didn’t he come like 3rd in the league as 20yo or something. Played at a similar standard to Lipinski every week and people are still talking about him.

There’s a genuine argument to say he hasn’t had enough goes at AFL level, much more similar to Lip & Young really than the group you’ve lumped him with who have mostly had way more than their fair share of a go at AFL level. let’s hope it doesn’t turn out the same way, although I’d put a fair chunk of cash on it happening

Poor summary. West is hard and smashes players when he goes into a contest. I couldn’t care about his family name - he will be a player, I am nervous it may not be with us.

That’s just not fair at all, he’s been in our top handful of players in the VFL every year, didn’t he come like 3rd in the league as 20yo or something. Played at a similar standard to Lipinski every week and people are still talking about him.

There’s a genuine argument to say he hasn’t had enough goes at AFL level, much more similar to Lip & Young really than the group you’ve lumped him with who have mostly had way more than their fair share of a go at AFL level. let’s hope it doesn’t turn out the same way, although I’d put a fair chunk of cash on it happening
He came 2nd in his very first year. West has played much better football at AFL level than those blokes too. I love seeing him rip the ball out of blokes arms in a tackle.

I do understand the criticism though but he’s still surely ahead of some others. West might not chase his opponent but that’s better than McComb who just kicks it straight to them.

He came 2nd in his very first year. West has played much better football at AFL level than those blokes too. I love seeing him rip the ball out of blokes arms in a tackle.

I do understand the criticism though but he’s still surely ahead of some others. West might not chase his opponent but that’s better than McComb who just kicks it straight to them.
Yeah don’t get me wrong I’m not saying he’s without fault, just don’t think the comparison is remotely there with those guys considering most people think he’s been underplayed compared to his output, and a fair chunk of those guys have been overplayed compared to their output,

Completely different ends of the spectrum and that’s why they get spoken about as much as they all do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lipiniski was an infinitely better player when he played with us. Of course he was going to be a good player when he chose to leave. His problem at the time was that he's a pure mid and we had better versions of his one pacededness in the middle. Ive said enough about Young in recent weeks. Im sure my views are well enough know by now.

Id put money on West having a similar career as he currently has if he was to go elsewhere. Let's not forget that he had the chance to do so at the end of last year and chose to stay. Was this because unlike the aforementioned, he wanted to fight for his place in the side or because his currency wasn't as high as that of Lipinski or Young when his management would've been out testing the market? We'll never know, but we can all make our own assumptions.

Poor summary. West is hard and smashes players when he goes into a contest. I couldn’t care about his family name - he will be a player, I am nervous it may not be with us.

It's an attribute that this team sorely lacks. Yet if that's the singular aspect that he's got to hang his hat on then I'd suggest its not a good one.

Lots of great underage players dont transition beyond the second tier of the competition.

"West might not chase his opponent..." is not a great endorsement. Especially for those who suggest he's what we need to add to our midfield mix. Indeed Id say it speaks volumes as to why he hasn't been able to maintain his place in the side.

I will however concede that I rated him a little harshly. He's probably in the 25-30 region on our list.

I thought the way he started his career was better than all of those players you mentioned. He had an impact straight away, remember a goal he kicked against Freo which made me think he was a real talent. Still have big hopes for him, hope he gets a decent run at it.

I’ve been pondering who the next disillusioned player under Bevo will be - one who leaves us (for a bag of chips in return) and has a successful senior career elsewhere.

Top of my list is West then Garcia then Khamis. If they don’t get a fair merit-based opportunity the recruiters from other clubs will definitely come sniffing.

I’m hoping it won’t happen but we seem to be losing at least one a year.

Rubbish. Show me a game where any of those players have played to this standard:

Rhylees a hard nut who know how to play footy. We need more of that out there.

Doc Bruce Crozier
Williams Libba Baz
Treloar Marra Buku
West Naughty Garcia

English Bont Macrae

Daniel JJ Darcy Scott

Out: Hannan, Lobb, Baker, Jones/Keath (depending on injury, could also give Keath one more shot over Bruce if Jones is fit but Bruce was better.

JJ back to half back as 7th defender, we miss his speed back there. Daniel to half forward.
Won’t happen though
Does JJ still have much speed? If we want pace and dynamism back there (we should do) I’d be giving Gallagher a go if he’s up to speed/fit. I’d also like to get Cleary’s ball use into the team.

Doc Bruce Crozier
Williams Libba Baz
Treloar Marra Buku
West Naughty Garcia

English Bont Macrae

Daniel JJ Darcy Scott

Won’t happen though
Why would you drop Baker after last week? Daniel/JJ firmly ahead of him there

Saints have no key forwards so if Jones gets up then Bruce is a little unlucky but has to come out. There's no use having 3 talls (with Keath & Bruce somewhat immobile) against a pacy forward line. Buku comes in for Lobb and can be used as cover if needed.

In: Buku, Crozier, Garcia
Out: Lobb, Bruce, Hannan
Instead of bringing Buku in and dropping Bruce, could we just shift Bruce forward to replace Lobb?

Baker played a blinder pre-season, was a little quiet against Melbourne but I'm expecting him to bounce back. Would be ridiculous to drop him as we have nobody really knocking down the door for that wing spot.

McLean probably has to come in for Hannan. West as the sub if he's ready, he can come on for a quarter or two and crash and bash and make his way into the side for the week after.

OUT:
Lobb, Darcy, Hannan

IN:
McLean, Khamis, Crozier, West (sub)

Hopefully Jones gets up. Should have a good day against Saints forward line.

Baker was very good in the preseason game, one of our bests. There were a few players who were worse than him in R1. I feel like he is automatically going to be a new whipping boy. To many people react to much by a single game. One game doesn't define good or bad form.

If we were serious, I'd be dropping some of the under performing protected species to the VFL during the season, to send a message instead of just the same fringe players. Some of the lazy running and poor decisions by certain regular players, needs a wake up call. We have seen some big names relegated to the VFL for a week or two in the past and it worked out alright.

Four or five changes is probably to many for this week. Remember fans here and media were critical of the match committee and Bev, for making to many changes each week? And not allowing the team to be settled and instability?

I reckon we will only go with a couple of forced changes in the end. Give the team a chance to show whether last week was a one off.

Last edited:
I’ve been pondering who the next disillusioned player under Bevo will be - one who leaves us (for a bag of chips in return) and has a successful senior career elsewhere.

Top of my list is West then Garcia then Khamis. If they don’t get a fair merit-based opportunity the recruiters from other clubs will definitely come sniffing.

I’m hoping it won’t happen but we seem to be losing at least one a year.
Garcia is very highly rated at the club, I think we try hard to keep him.

I'd have West in my team this week. I actually don't think he's a better footballer than other options for the last couple of spots, but the team needs harness and attack on the ball more than it needs someone who looks good kicking the ball in space under no pressure.
I'd honestly give him CBAs as soon as the opposition threatens to gain multiple clearances. He's not going to win it himself but he will throw himself at the opposition ball winners and sometimes that's what you need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back