Preview Changes for Elimination Final vs Bombers (UTAS Sun 3.20pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

On paper we have a much better side selected than Essendon. They are in better form and we will need a big lift from our efforts the last few weeks, but especially with Hind out, we should have more talent as well as finals experience.

They've bought in Caldwell who hasn't played since round 2 and was a limited minutes guy in the pre-season / round 1, so safe to imagine he will be probably only be a 65-70% TOG guy Sunday. McGrath and Gleeson have only played two games since the bye rounds too so will be a little underdone / short of touch. We have a couple guys also in Dunks / Treloar / Vandermeer etc who aren't in full flight yet, but I'm willing to back our guys in and runners to really stretch Essendon out on the weekend.

Means nothing if we don't come to play and show the same effort and system through the midfield, but i'm starting to feel more confident. Let's go Dogs!

Don’t they have to come from the named emergencies?
I think if someone is withdrawn early enough then they can be replaced in the squad but I’m not sure what the cut off time for that is. As someone said, there’s nothing actually stopping us from bringing anyone in to play, just a penalty later on.

I'm happy to cop the fine.

Late changes Gardner for Cordy and Schache for Wood. Scott sub

Williams Gardiner Naughton

Dale Keath Duryea

Treloar Bont Macrae

VDM Schache Hunter

Weightman English JJ

Young Dunkley Libba

Smith B Smith R Hannan Daniel

Sub: Scott

I’m just mystified why Wood is playing, he was awful last week. Love the guy, but I thought he stamped his own papers. Cordy has his limitations but he does have more experience in defence than Scache and Gardy, both coming back from injury so I can see the caution.

I have a suspicion that Bevo thinks we can win this game without Martin, but we will need him for the next two games if we get through, so he is giving him an extra week.

I’m just mystified why Wood is playing, he was awful last week. Love the guy, but I thought he stamped his own papers. Cordy has his limitations but he does have more experience in defence than Scache and Gardy, both coming back from injury so I can see the caution.

I have a suspicion that Bevo thinks we can win this game without Martin, but we will need him for the next two games if we get through, so he is giving him an extra week.

Wood has had a terrible few weeks and I’d agree, although he’s not alone tbf. I’d be very surprised if he plays many games next year.

I wonder if there’s been some decisions and complacency that have come back to bite us - not taking the bye, assuming we were in top four and resting players etc. Given how those have backfired it would surely be negligent to look much further forward than Sunday.

90% chance of rain tomorrow, according to my iPhone’s weather app. Assuming this helps us more than the Dons. Less chance of a fast break out of the centre, and even if Draper just smashes it forward all day out of the ruck, it’ll still be hard to pick up cleanly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quietly looking out for Bailey Williams to take the next step. We've seen moments of him being great but I want to see him completely dominate a game from the back half. I think he is capable of doing so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back