Preview Changes for Elimination Final vs Bombers (UTAS Sun 3.20pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

100 point win would be the only really enjoyable result. Not because it would mean anything to us but it would be satisfying to watch the Bombers be absolutely humiliated.
I meant tonight. But I do like the way you think.

Sweet better be delisted is all I can say. If he’s on the list and can play in 4 wins out of 5 games played (including one against Port away) and not get picked when we have no other rucks available than he shouldn’t be wasting a spot.
Sweet has really lost 2 years of development with only limited VFL.
He could still make it but would definitely like a mature ruck to step in if Martin is done

Losing tomorrow is basically worst case scenario out of any moment for the club in the previous 5 years.

Essendon have more injuries than us. They lack a range of forward options (and Keath solves the Wright problem), so really you would expect the only player that is capable of kicking 3+ goals is when Stringer pushes forward. No ATW as well. Jones out also.

Hind also is a major loss for them. A player who can split the lines can often do real damage to us and now they don't have their primary rebounder.

I never ever thought I'd say this but if we lose tomorrow I'd be asking for a change in coach. Even getting smashed in the ruck/midfield we still had far more inside 50's and marks inside 50s than essendon last time. It took the perfect storm of opposing goal kicking that they managed to beat us.

I expect us to win purely through the massive advantage our small/medium defenders give us. Dale, Daniel, Williams , Duryea etc is a major step up in class in comparison to the smalls essendon will be rolling through the forward line. And of course if our midfield breaks even then we should win this game comfortably.

Yet here I am expecting to be disappointed.

Losing tomorrow is basically worst case scenario out of any moment for the club in the previous 5 years.

Essendon have more injuries than us. They lack a range of forward options (and Keath solves the Wright problem), so really you would expect the only player that is capable of kicking 3+ goals is when Stringer pushes forward. No ATW as well. Jones out also.

Hind also is a major loss for them. A player who can split the lines can often do real damage to us and now they don't have their primary rebounder.

I never ever thought I'd say this but if we lose tomorrow I'd be asking for a change in coach. Even getting smashed in the ruck/midfield we still had far more inside 50's and marks inside 50s than essendon last time. It took the perfect storm of opposing goal kicking that they managed to beat us.

I expect us to win purely through the massive advantage our small/medium defenders give us. Dale, Daniel, Williams , Duryea etc is a major step up in class in comparison to the smalls essendon will be rolling through the forward line. And of course if our midfield breaks even then we should win this game comfortably.

I actaully would be in agreement to either give Bevo the boot if we lose, or do a whole review of the coaching. losing tomorrow is a major setback.

For all the hoo ha we played well against this port side last week.

it’d be nice to have a recent win but we’re all a bit dramatic. One shocker for the whole year which was against hawthorn tainting everyone’s view
Agreed. I thought the first match against Melbourne was pretty awful, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thought of losing to Essendon makes me sick to the stomach but I reckon our worst finals loss was the 2019 EF. We were absolutely smashing every team coming into that finals series and would've matched up well against Richmond, Brisbane or Geelong.

So, what can we expect from you if we win? Bouquets for the coach and match committee?

I think a lot of people thought we were better off without Boyd when he was close to finishing up because Schache and Naughton were emerging together and English was hitting his straps.

I was always a bit advocate for him. When he was in form he was exactly what we now need. In the GF he absolutely flattened Jack then went for a ruck contest like it was nothing. Struggled taking big marks forward but was good around the ground.

Obviously his retirement freed up cap space etc but a fit and focused Boyd would be great for us right now.
And like many before him, and since, was a favourite whipping boy.

So, what can we expect from you if we win? Bouquets for the coach and match committee?

No.

But when you consider we are staring down the barrel of a 3rd straight elimination final loss and good chances if that happens is that we get absolutely destroyed in the ruck, then it's a sickening thought.

Beveridge is under large pressure tomorrow. This ain't a full strength bombers unit. We have no excuses to lose this game.

The thought of losing to Essendon makes me sick to the stomach but I reckon our worst finals loss was the 2019 EF. We were absolutely smashing every team coming into that finals series and would've matched up well against Richmond, Brisbane or Geelong.

We simply weren't ready then. Obviously the performance was ugly (especially considering the opponent) but our spine was Cordy, Young, English, Schache and 19 year old Naughton.

No chance we were doing damage with that group.

No.

But when you consider we are staring down the barrel of a 3rd straight elimination final loss and good chances if that happens is that we get absolutely destroyed in the ruck, then it's a sickening thought.

Beveridge is under large pressure tomorrow. This ain't a full strength bombers unit. We have no excuses to lose this game.

We simply weren't ready then. Obviously the performance was ugly (especially considering the opponent) but our spine was Cordy, Young, English, Schache and 19 year old Naughton.

No chance we were doing damage with that group.

‘Since then we have added Keath, Bruce, Treloar, Weightman, Martin, Ugle-Hagen, VDM, Garcia and Hannam- yet we are probably going to finish 7th again.

Bit of an indictment on the coaching don’t you think?

I actaully would be in agreement to either give Bevo the boot if we lose, or do a whole review of the coaching. losing tomorrow is a major setback.
So if we lose by 1 point because Essendon kick accurately nailing 15 goals 1 behind from the boundary after we get three injures in the first quarter after a whole heap of bad umpiring decisions against us, you'd still be in favour of sacking our best coach in the club's history, paying out several years of a contract with absolutely no plan or idea of who would coach us in the future?

So if we lose by 1 point because Essendon kick accurately nailing 15 goals 1 behind from the boundary after we get three injures in the first quarter after a whole heap of bad umpiring decisions against us, you'd still be in favour of sacking our best coach in the club's history, paying out several years of a contract with absolutely no plan or idea of who would coach us in the future?

It's the curse of EJ, no one can catch his record of 91 wins as a coach.

I really don’t think that’s what this poster or any others (at least the serious ones) are suggesting.

Imo it’s more that the coach - and indeed the whole footy department- need to really examine how they’re approaching the game. The last month has been unacceptable, and so has the fact we’re sitting here with no recognised, functional ruck coming into finals.

There’s a sneaking suspicion- or an outright one for many - that this approach is wasting the prime of a very good list, so frustration is high. Doesn’t mean we’re all sacking the coach, but a bit of self-assessment might not go amiss.

What’s all the talk about Bont and Bevo looking defeated on AFL 360 or something? Are we really that f’ed?
Just looked disheveled and sounded deflated. It’s pretty obvious when you listen to a coach or captain that is confident and switched on. I’ve watched hundreds of interviews of these two. One of the worst ever.
FF166502-8BBB-4554-A7B9-706C46C5EAE0.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back