Strategy Changes for Fremantle game

Remove this Banner Ad

Like the changes and inclusions.On paper it looks great, let’s see if in theory it works too.should be finals like atmosphere and a cracking game.

Simmo has been saying every week that we play different game to last year.Could someone educate me on what exactly is he referring to??
To me this is essentially just change of personnel ( mainly middle, back line the same, of course forward line is a little fresher)
My take on eagles this year on a small sample size of 5 games:

We appear to increased our kicking to handball ratio.also kicking efficiency seems to have gone up significantly, that’s more personnel rather than game plan.

We never use corridor to attack, we still don’t.so not much change of tactics there.

The other subtle change I have noticed is tempo- moving the ball quickly by foot rather than hand.quick 15-20 meter kicks.This type of tempo has worked so far, it will be interesting to see if we can adjust the tempo this week cuz freo force that on you.

Anyway, I don’t necessarily think above changes are change of game plan, just subtle adjustments.

What does everyone one else think?? Have we changed our game plan??

Last edited:
Like the changes and inclusions.On paper it looks great, let’s see if in theory it works too.should be finals like atmosphere and a cracking game.

Simmo has been saying every week that we play different game to last year.Could someone educate me on what exactly is he referring to??
To me this is essentially just change of personal ( mainly middle, backline the same, of course forward line is a little fresher)

We appear to increased our kicking to handball ratio.also kicking efficiency seems to have gone up significantly, that’s more personnel rather than game plan.

We never use corridor to attack, we still don’t.so not much change of tactics there.

The other subtle change I have noticed is tempo- moving the ball quickly by foot rather than hand.quick 15-20 meter kicks.This type of tempo has worked so far, it will be interesting to see if we can adjust the tempo this week cuz freo force that on you.

Anyway, I don’t necessarily think above changes are change of game plan, just subtle adjustments.

I know we switch a lot more but that also gives us a chance if the corridor opens up which Jetta eg tries to exploit.

To me this is essentially just change of personal ( mainly middle, backline the same, of course forward line is a little fresher)

Like you said...it's little changes and tweaks rather than a total overhaul. It's been referred to more than once that roles within the team have been simplified a bit. We're certainly doing well on the inside 50 count even when we lose the midfield clearance battle.

So while our game-style still looks a fair bit like it did before, I think it's evolved with an aim to take better advantage of a strong forward line.

We definitely use the corridor more than we used to. Switch it, open up the corridor, Hurn and Jetta spot up the open man with presicion or worst case kick it long to some of the best contested marks in the league.

Don’t think it works so well against teams that pressure high so we need to learn to run and carry a bit more when we’re on the back foot.

Simmo might be referring to the fact that everyone has a more simple role this year that plays to their strengths, rather than force players to be something they aren’t.

To me this is essentially just change of personnel ( mainly middle, back line the same, of course forward line is a little fresher)

What does everyone one else think?? Have we changed our game

Most noticeable change is the NKOTB - adding more enthusiasm to the team and more leg speed..And NN as well.

Also agree with you we should use the centre corridor more often and centre the ball in the forward 50 instead marking near the boundary line when doing the switch. Missed a lot of goals so far this year.

Thought we were a lot more creative going into very forward 50 in the first three games. Darling really stood up in JK absent
Game plan looks the same especially against Carlton last week.
Wait and see how the season unfolds[/QUOTE]

We're using the width at Optus, and look to go inboard through the corridor if an option opens up. We're still prone to go long to the contests on the wings when the opposition structures up, trying to handball our way down the line (inflating those numbers), which is how we used to play.

They key is looking ahead and taking the first option that presents itself clearly. We're noticably improving at it, but still look to go sideways or backwards before looking ahead. Couple of seconds are so important for the opposition, and that's one way to kill your momentum off.

By no means am I suggesting 'kick it kick it', but quick decision-making needs to be our style.

We are no longer corralling we are tackling.

Helps when more of the side has some pace.

Leg speed also means our press is working better.

We are also much more proactive at stoppages now we have a couple of actual rucks.

We are no longer corralling we are tackling.

Helps when more of the side has some pace.

Leg speed also means our press is working better.

We are also much more proactive at stoppages now we have a couple of actual rucks.
We corralled a lot last weekend.

I think what people don't understand is how good Carlton's pressure, structure and coaching was last week. most errors, coralling and long bombs etc were a result of the aforementioned. most of the criticism directed at players and their mistakes was misdirected, because the fallout was directly or indirectly attributed to Carlton's pressure which didn't stop until the last siren. It was a grind and Eagles were always slightly in control and fought it out and got the chocolates. Add to that the fact that they travelled sore from 2 games at Optus, and Carlton did a great shutdown job on JK and we missed Jetta's drive/link up disposal. The Eagles weren't complacent, they didn't necessarily resort to bad habits as much as they were forced to do so..but they still had the resolve to get the job done...tomorrow will be a completely different dynamic, match up, coaching and team effort according to the moment..it has nothing to do with cliches, fanbase expectations, keyboard warriors etc, it is a completely self contained professional entity that ploughs on regardless of us, with little influence from external sources. All our generalisations, speculation and opinions are white noise........just saying.
Go Eagles! The new derby - bring it on!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think what people don't understand is how good Carlton's pressure, structure and coaching was last week. most errors, coralling and long bombs etc were a result of the aforementioned. most of the criticism directed at players and their mistakes was misdirected, because the fallout was directly or indirectly attributed to Carlton's pressure which didn't stop until the last siren. It was a grind and Eagles were always slightly in control and fought it out and got the chocolates. Add to that the fact that they travelled sore from 2 games at Optus, and Carlton did a great shutdown job on JK and we missed Jetta's drive/link up disposal. The Eagles weren't complacent, they didn't necessarily resort to bad habits as much as they were forced to do so..but they still had the resolve to get the job done...tomorrow will be a completely different dynamic, match up, coaching and team effort according to the moment..it has nothing to do with cliches, fanbase expectations, keyboard warriors etc, it is a completely self contained professional entity that ploughs on regardless of us, with little influence from external sources. All our generalisations, speculation and opinions are white noise........just saying.
Go Eagles! The new derby - bring it on!
You started well, middle bit was on the money.:thumbsu:

But that last bit was far too deep for me!:cool:

You started well, middle bit was on the money.:thumbsu:

But that last bit was far too deep for me!:cool:
haha, cheers, the red wine and flu pill kicked in and took me sideways down the nihilist rabbit-hole..was going to delete but fell asleep?
hey it's just another crazy opinion on here, I sometimes think everything gets over-analytical and dissected
to the enth degree, when it's a fairly simple game..and I'm just as guilty or passionate as the next person!
It's game day!! Nervous...

haha, cheers, the red wine and flu pill kicked in and took me sideways down the nihilist rabbit-hole..was going to delete but fell asleep?
hey it's just another crazy opinion on here, I sometimes think everything gets over-analytical and dissected
to the enth degree, when it's a fairly simple game..and I'm just as guilty or passionate as the next person!
It's game day!! Nervous...
Are Freo due for a win considering we have won the last 5 derbies - hope not!

Are Freo due for a win considering we have won the last 5 derbies - hope not!

The tipsters seem to favour WCE, but Freo obviously have a lot to play for, huge bragging rights.
I can't pick a winner except it promises to be a derby like no other..hope it lives up to that?
Wouldn't surprise me if Freo gets up...just hoping no injuries to NN or JK or key forwards.

The tipsters seem to favour WCE, but Freo obviously have a lot to play for, huge bragging rights.
I can't pick a winner except it promises to be a derby like no other..hope it lives up to that?
Wouldn't surprise me if Freo gets up...just hoping no injuries to NN or JK or key forwards.
its actually the 4 points I value - who cares about the position. We are in a great spot to cement a finals gig

its actually the 4 points I value - who cares about the position. We are in a great spot to cement a finals gig
didn't mention 'position'? agreed 4 points obviously is the main point pardon the pun, if win, finish 1/2nd depending on percentage, sets up home game against Port..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back