Strategy Changes for Fremantle game

Remove this Banner Ad

Hutchings is a guy I like in the team...but playing him in the forward 50 (obviously in an attempt to improve the defensive work in there) is not going help us convert on the scoreboard - not someone you want taking shots from 40 out.

At this stage - I would retain him, drop Redden who has just been hanging in, and give Hutch a chance in the middle. Can’t carry Hutch, Redden, Sheed and Duggan in the same team.

Waterman, as I suspected, is surplus in a forward line containing Josh Kennedy. Time for a spell.

Jackson Nelson has had his spot taken by Tom Cole....but may live to fight another day - I’d consider Schofield for the Dockers as Barrass was not at his best and could be a good idea for an additional tall down back.

Jetta comes in if fit. If Ah Chee is ready to role I’d get him in there and play the role they are trying to shoe horn Hutchings into. Let’s run with Schofield for Nelson.

In: Jetta, Ah Chee, Schofield
Out: Redden, Nelson, Waterman

Hutchings is a guy I like in the team...but playing him in the forward 50 (obviously in an attempt to improve the defensive work in there) is not going help us convert on the scoreboard - not someone you want taking shots from 40 out.

At this stage - I would retain him, drop Redden who has just been hanging in, and give Hutch a chance in the middle. Can’t carry Hutch, Redden, Sheed and Duggan in the same team.

Waterman, as I suspected, is surplus in a forward line containing Josh Kennedy. Time for a spell.

Jackson Nelson has had his spot taken by Tom Cole....but may live to fight another day - I’d consider Schofield for the Dockers as Barrass was not at his best and could be a good idea for an additional tall down back.

Jetta comes in if fit. If Ah Chee is ready to role I’d get him in there and play the role they are trying to shoe horn Hutchings into. Let’s run with Schofield for Nelson.

Nott sure why you would have an extra tall against Freo. They've just lost Taberner too.

Tempted to say Waterman but would give him another week or two. Probably Hutchings for Jetta because there is no way Cole can be dropped after that performance.

Winning five in a row is going to present its own challenges. Would love some fresh legs.
Yes
Much as I like Waterman he was one tall too many yesterday
Forward line looked confused and were always attacking under pressure
We need to open up and have more movement up forward

Would be wary going in too tall down back with Taberner out. Sandi doesn't spend much time forward as a target, with Walters, Ballantyne, Matera and what I'd call 'mobile talls' contributing (Fyfe, Mundy, McCarthy). Do they warrant 3 KPD's when Shep and Hurn (and Yeo if he follows Fyfe at all) can play a bit taller?

NicNat isnt getting enough game time to be able to drop Lycett,
Freo aren't who I would drop Lycett against anyway (even if NicNat was playing 80% game time). I think we need every possible advantage we can find in the midfield against Freo, and double-teaming Sandilands is a potential edge for us because they have no real backup. Sandilands is rucking well so beating him can't be taken for granted, but we can certainly do our best to wear him down over the game and give ourselves an advantage in the 2nd half. Not to mention that Lycett was rucking better than NicNat yesterday IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nelson quite often does the job on oppositions best small forward, lacks an ability to provide any kind of offensive or creative play though. I see him as the best match up for Walters who looks in good form. Long term if Cole can replicate what he did against the blues he gets Nelsons spot.

Tempted to say Waterman but would give him another week or two. Probably Hutchings for Jetta because there is no way Cole can be dropped after that performance.

Winning five in a row is going to present its own challenges. Would love some fresh legs.

Need pace as our fwd line returned to its cumbersome best in the absence of Ryan & Venerables. Waterman for Jack and Jetta for Nelson.

Pearce will match up well on Kennedy, but at least the special K will cause a contest so we need Cripps & Rioli to stay closer to home and not play so much as hi-forwards.

Nelson quite often does the job on oppositions best small forward, lacks an ability to provide any kind of offensive or creative play though. I see him as the best match up for Walters who looks in good form. Long term if Cole can replicate what he did against the blues he gets Nelsons spot.
I look forward to him playing on Jack Watts - he is our pet mongrel
every team needs one

Petruccelle, Jetta In
Hutchings (too slow) & Nelson (Cole was too good to leave out)

B: Cole Barras Hurn
HB Jetta Gov Sheppard
C Masten Shuey Gaff
HF Cripps Darling Rioli
FF Waterman Kennedy Lecca
Followers Nic Nat Sheed Yeo
IC: Duggan, Petruccelle, Lycett and Redden
Is it just me or has Barrass been a bit out of form lately - I know he's young but would like a bit more out of him. Also wouldn't say McGovern is setting the world on fire - looks distracted at times:oops:!

Need pace as our fwd line returned to its cumbersome best in the absence of Ryan & Venerables. Waterman for Jack and Jetta for Nelson.

Pearce will match up well on Kennedy, but at least the special K will cause a contest so we need Cripps & Rioli to stay closer to home and not play so much as hi-forwards.
Jack won't get dropped - if it's between Darling & Waterman, think Waterman will be the one to go

I think there's something to work with Nelson. He hasn't been pure shite over the last couple weeks but he hasn't stamped himself in the side. Hopefully he gets sent back and told to work on his disposal/decision making as well as his offensive game Think getting a bit more ball should give him some confidence in his game. I think Duggan isn't too far off from needing a WAFL stint either.
That said both boys defensive side of the game cannot be faulted.

Is it just me or has Barrass been a bit out of form lately - I know he's young but would like a bit more out of him. Also wouldn't say McGovern is setting the world on fire - looks distracted at times:oops:!

I think Barrass has been pretty good to be honest. More worried about McGovern's inconsistency and disposal.

Need some zip back so I would go

In- Petrol, Jetts
Out- waterman/Hutchings, Nelson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back