Preview NO CHANGE - Grand Final v West Coast Eagles, Saturday at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Corked ribs?
Actually I would rather we don't talk about Howe or their possible injuries - no excuses for either team. Once they/we cross the white line - game on.

And block his runs at the ball.

They won't pay either of them, they really put the whistle away in grand finals.
Hopefully Mason gives Razor Ray the special handshake and a wink during the warm up again.

While a lot of attention is naturally focused on Kennedy and Darling the West Coast forward line is hardly a two man show even if they're the star attractions.

Ryan and Rioli in particular concern me as quick indigenous small forwards have worried us many times over the years.

I think we can all appreciate how important the midfield battle will be on Saturday in deciding the outcome and if our players get on top in this area and limit the supply or speed West Coast can enter their forward half then our undersized defence stands a decent chance of nullifying the tall West Coast forwards.

But what if the Eagles midfield simply manage to break even this week after trouncing the Melbourne midfield?

Will this outcome still be good enough for us to get the win or will it allow the eagles to expose the most obvious area of the ground they could gain a winning advantage in.

Now I can appreciate the call to go in unchanged and it's a view I don't necessarily disagree with but as good as our win was over Richmond they have been a side that sets up around the one key forward and ruckman.

The Eagles have two of each and that simply makes them a different defensive proposition and it might be one tall to many for us to manage unless we can get the game on our terms for the majority of the day.

Goldsack is a competitive animal and did well against Kennedy two weeks back but Kennedy still finished with 2.4 and looked rusty failing to clunk 3 or 4 marks he'd normally take. His form against Melbourne looked ominous.

Darling like Kennedy had their greatest influence in the final term the last time we played and up against another undersized opponent in Langdon the dam wall finally broke. He kicked 3.3 against us the last time we played on the G.

Then unlike Richmond we have the concern of West Coast using the resting ruckman tactically up forward in opportune moments.

I recognise it's a risk to bring in Moore or Reid and any player omitted would be desperately unlucky but it would be a failure also not to identify a risk already exists if we don't and making the one move of swapping out a small defender has the potential to nullify West Coasts one real area of advantage before the game even begins.

Must say that's real tempting to me but I'm glad I'm not the one making the decision because the small forwards of West Coast shouldn't be discounted in the equation.

While a lot of attention is naturally focused on Kennedy and Darling the West Coast forward line is hardly a two man show even if they're the star attractions.

Ryan and Rioli in particular concern me as quick indigenous small forwards have worried us many times over the years.

I think we can all appreciate how important the midfield battle will be on Saturday in deciding the outcome and if our players get on top in this area and limit the supply or speed West Coast can enter their forward half then our undersized defence stands a decent chance of nullifying the tall West Coast forwards.

But what if the Eagles midfield simply manage to break even this week after trouncing the Melbourne midfield?

Will this outcome still be good enough for us to get the win or will it allow the eagles to expose the most obvious area of the ground they could gain a winning advantage in.

Now I can appreciate the call to go in unchanged and it's a view I don't necessarily disagree with but as good as our win was over Richmond they have been a side that sets up around the one key forward and ruckman.

The Eagles have two of each and that simply makes them a different defensive proposition and it might be one tall to many for us to manage unless we can get the game on our terms for the majority of the day.

Goldsack is a competitive animal and did well against Kennedy two weeks back but Kennedy still finished with 2.4 and looked rusty failing to clunk 3 or 4 marks he'd normally take. His form against Melbourne looked ominous.

Darling like Kennedy had their greatest influence in the final term the last time we played and up against another undersized opponent in Langdon the dam wall finally broke. He kicked 3.3 against us the last time we played on the G.

Then unlike Richmond we have the concern of West Coast using the resting ruckman tactically up forward in opportune moments.

I recognise it's a risk to bring in Moore or Reid and any player omitted would be desperately unlucky but it would be a failure also not to identify a risk already exists if we don't and making the one move of swapping out a small defender has the potential to nullify West Coasts one real area of advantage before the game even begins.

Must say that's real tempting to me but I'm glad I'm not the one making the decision because the small forwards of West Coast shouldn't be discounted in the equation.
My sentiments exactly. I’d hate to be a selector because there is so much at stake including emotionally. Kennedy was very rusty but still had 6 scoring shots which was the same as Darling.
Every coaching panel has tough calls to make for a Grand Final but imagine that if ours decided we need to bring in an extra tall it would mean we would be omitting someone with good form. That’s why they get paid the big bucks.

Agree what Robbo said on 360.

Saying Lycett is a Very Important Player for Eagles.

Done very Well during Finals So far by Stopping Gawn and Grundy's Influence on there games
Vardy is important too; he has the ability to flat out shove Grundy in the back and kick a goal without being penalised for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I know you think you are joking, I believe it’s really bugging you.
Just so you understand, the clubs have signed away their rights to their colours, their logos, their names as part as participating in the Australian Football League.
So the assumption that the AFL have gone behind the clubs back without being legally able to is more than likely incorrect.
I think they would have made sure they’ve the right to do it.
Anyway, NRL haven’t an issue, ask the Storm, the English soccer league haven’t an issue with Wembley.
Yeah of course legit, but I swear it would slightly bug you too if in our shoes,
I can show you proof of distant fans from Wembley complaining about final being held there if you like, and this is a bigger country so even higher travel costs.
Imagine if Afl made Collingwood play every Grand Final at our ground for the next 20 years? Be honest as I know you all hate playing here once a year. Think of the cost you’d have to outlay to get to a gf compared to now. That’s our future penned by the so called AFL
If (lol Freo) and west coast make the gf we’d all have to travel from way over here to the mcg because of the AFL’s signing it’s pretty ridiculous many would miss out. Is it really afl or still vfl? arrogant selfish signing imo
But yes that’s the way it is, not your fault or any vic clubs fault.
I currently love the MCG gf but there are some disadvantages to away teams and fans so the fact the AFL chose to ignore this for the next 20 years is what bugs me
5 years then a rethink would have been reasonable imo

Why we didn’t build our new stadium bigger also bugs me as we can’t host a GF with a smaller ground than the MCG once I win my lawsuit :oops:

Last edited:
Serious question
What the **** does aish do?
Out aish
In appleby/moore
Good mark for his height, shows a lot of courage, good pressure and tackling with solid skills. He will only ever accumulate around a dozen possessions playing his role as a defender. Very underrated player IMO and was playing terrific footy earlier this season before injuring his knee. Might not be in our first 18 players picked every week but plays an important role nevertheless.

I think given the weather, there’ll be no need to worry too much about their talls.

If it was meant to be a nice day, I’d be more worried about them. Obviously I’m also expecting Mason to have zero impact given the weather.

Last edited:
I dont think anybody deserves to be out also however i think there is a need for a change. West Coast big forwards aren't a like the last two teams we played our defense was suited perfectly for GWS and Richmond as both predominately play with one key forward. West Coast has Kennedy, Darling and Vardy who will play up there also no way our defense can hold that which was fairly evident in the first game with Kennedy and Darlign killing us and then in the final a tad lucky Kennedy didnt kick straight at the beginning.
It's rock or hard place, bringing Reid now with zero match touch or match fitness to a GF is extremely risky. I think we have to accept their advantage up forward and no doubrt will be planning to counteract that. Given Cox jsut suddenly at the exact right time discovered how to lead aggressively, they have a similar problem with us, a giant almost unstoppable leading forward, a super fast almost unstoppab;e medium forward (eqivalent to Darling but I'd say better) plus leading high marking WHE who is due to kick a few. and I almost forgot checkers a very solid and dangerous contested mark and accurate kick plus our electric small forwards how are also decent overhead, they have at least as much worries about our forwards. to a degree it might be a bit of a shoot out at times, that will make for an exciting GF and maybe a nerve wracking one. Dem's the breaks unless you want a worry free caek walk handed to you on a platter. But as not the greatest politician (in fact a scumbag who helped with the CIA get rid of our last genujnie people's prime minister in Whitlam) said, life isn't meant to be easy. In fact I wish they would get rid of that cakewalk line out fhe song because it's a bad psychological message to the players who sing it after every win.

The Gimp's gorilla bonanza re.

Look at this s**t re.. look at this s**t re.

$15,500 prof v Richmond + $6700 prof v WC = $22,200 profff re.

2019 European holiday.. soaking up rays and dancing the blocks in Mykonos proudly sponsored by the Collingwood Football Club re.

F greeeeaaatttt reeeee!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back