Preview Changes for GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Williams is a concern, for a long time was one of my favourites..

Good decision making just seems to elude him at times, I think Freijah ( who is a natural winger, NFI why they played him down back ) is his logical replacement.

Stats can sometimes lie, he makes poor decisions at the moment and I cringe when I see him with ball in hand. I’d rather play Sanders in his spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I watched the whole game and thought Truck was pretty good. I didn't even look at his stats.

My theory is that he played more game time than he was supposed to with VDMs injury and looked very knackered about half way through the 3rd.

7 days into the next game and then 5 into the one after that. 3 games in 12 days which I believe is too much to expect of the young man and that a more generous spacing of his appearances should be afforded him in this instance and at this point..

My brilliant theory is that we should give him 1 of the next 2 games making it 2 games of 3 given the scheduling.

Selfishly, I'm not travelling to Sydney next week but a chance to go to the Thursday night game here in tropical Melbourne.

TL/DR. It's in his recovery interests and my viewing interests that he sits next week out.

Actually it's too much to ask of Darcy also. To he'll with it, I'm managing both of them.
You're more far-sighted than I am NW. I'm only thinking about next week.

Point taken on load management ... but I'd still be playing Freijah this week.

I agree on Darcy though. Needs a few games in the VFL to get his confidence back. Should have kicked 8 last night.

I agree on Darcy though. Needs a few games in the VFL to get his confidence back. Should have kicked 8 last night.
That's the problem with you people. You only see what's right in front of your nose. I'm understanding nonetheless.

I'm a big picture person DW and the season is a large canvas.

Darcy and Freijah out🤣

Like the Saints game, probably won't see anyone dropped. Pretty great performances across the board. Don't think we've really got the mix right but don't see it changing too much.

Presuming Vandermeer is out injured, I'd like to see Clarke replace him. Really struggled on debut but he had built a nice run of form to earn his selection and I'd rather give him a second chance sooner rather than later. Sounds like he is playing well in the VFL today.

Also think Sanders should be playing but if he couldn't get a gig when 15 players could have been omitted in the Hawthorn horror show then I doubt he is getting ahead of anyone from last nights game. Hoping he is out of the bad books and back on the AFL fields soon.

Hard to make many changes but I'd like to fix up the team balance also send Jamarra a message. Have a couple weeks in the twos running up the wing, repeat efforts and present for the by out kick down the line his main focus

Lobb to play second Ruck/high forward, Darcy to play out of the goal square.

Out: Bramble (Omit) , VDM (Inj), Jamarra (position change)
In: Sanders, A.Jones, Lobb

FB. Cleary Keath Jones
HB. Dale JOD JJ
C. Harmes Bont Williams
HF. Garcia Naughton Lobb
FF. West Darcy A.Jones
R. English Richards Treloar
INT. Duryea Macrea Sanders Freijah
SUB. Gallagher

Really enjoyed watching Footscray today on the telecast.
They cut to Bevo in the stands a few times.
The classic was in the last quarter after CC dodged and weaved to kick a goal. Showed Bevo laughing in delight at CC's play. I reckon CC is in next week (and Sanders).

Really enjoyed watching Footscray today on the telecast.
They cut to Bevo in the stands a few times.
The classic was in the last quarter after CC dodged and weaved to kick a goal. Showed Bevo laughing in delight at CC's play. I reckon CC is in next week (and Sanders).
I hope CC is back in but I think Jones will get a look in first

I hope CC is back in but I think Jones will get a look in first
West as the small forward, Arty as the 'gut runner' blocking the 45 exits?
It's a thankless task.

Unfortunately/ watching the VFL. Artie is still not there. I really want him to succeed - I think we are a better team with JI’s energy but today he was behind Clarke and even Spicer / who showed the spark after a few weeks down. Artie is Down on form with McNeil - He could have had a few but will need to take them to push above Clarke and Baker would have him too ATM.

The VFL team remains undefeated and a fair chunk of players putting their hands up but Artie, McNeil, Gardiner, Poulter and Bedendo have not performed well enough.

I wonder about Caleb, he is a class player and has been playing more midfield on the basis that we have good players but they are aging - and with Smith’s future uncertain?

I am not sure that is smart. Especially now with Ed showing what he can do. Maybe he would be better focussing on being a small forward and doing some small rotations. He got another 28-30 and was good but don’t think this is going to get him picked.

The midfield will turn over and assuming you need a regular six:

1. Bont - still has 5-7 years (will end up Dangerfield like till 35)
2. Trelor - 1-2 years (at his peak)
3. Libba - hopefully 1-2 (was at his peak till a couple of weeks ago)
4. Macrae - 3 years
5. Red - 8+ years
6. Sanders - 10+ years
7. Smith - 8+ years
8. Gallagher - 9+ years

Depth currently in front (who are also capable of holding a forward role)

García
Harmes
West

Small forward we need three and really only have West as a lock.

García has looked great but only a few games. Artie above. Clarke promising but not even in the regular 22 yet so still high risk. Someone of Caleb’s ability and fast thinking should be able to own one spot but needs to prove it in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can only see us making one change given it was really a team performance last night.

IN
Sanders

OUT
Vandermeer (injured)

I guess the issue is that as Sanders is primarily an inside mid, how do we squeeze him in at centre bounces, our CBAs last night were...

27 - Richards (93%)
26 - Bontempelli, English (90%)
25 - Treloar (86%)
7 - Gallagher (24%)
3 - Darcy (10%)
2 - Harmes (7%)

Gallagher could spend more time forward and allow Sanders to take his inside minutes or we could rotate Bont, Treloar and Richards more often, which I know many are asking for.

Bevo and Bont seemingly confirmed pre and post-match respectively that playing Macrae permanently as the extra number at stoppages was one of the planned structural changes, so I see us sticking with that for a couple of weeks to see how it holds up against better sides.

I’m with you dw, thought Williams was very good.
I was thinking during that last quarter he seems to be getting his mojo back.

Not sure of the changes other than Sanders had the game he needed to knock the door down to come back in. So, he is in and maybe Caleb. Out Bramble and VDM.

Out: VDM, Jamarra, Bramble, Gallagher

In: Clarke, Lobb, Daniel, Sanders

Reward vfl form.

Darcy can be the main man (Jamarras normal role with Naughton).

Lobb to play Darcy’s normal role and rotate with English.

Daniel is better at Brambles role than bramble.

Gallagher was solid but Sanders banging down the door. Straight swap.

Clarke the only natural small fwd to swap for VDM.

Williams is a concern, for a long time was one of my favourites..

Good decision making just seems to elude him at times, I think Freijah ( who is a natural winger, NFI why they played him down back ) is his logical replacement.

• Ditto on Bailey W, he doesnt look anywhere near as dependable as he used to be.
  • I hope Keath doesnt get dropped for Khamis, Keath is older but more dependable with his ability & decision making

Reward vfl form.

This!

West as the small forward, Arty as the 'gut runner' blocking the 45 exits?
It's a thankless task.

May be wrong but I recall even in Arty’s hilariously low touch games last season his tackle/pressure/chase stats were pretty good?

Reward vfl form.

Absolutely zero chance we play Darcy, English and Lobb in the same team.

Not sure why people keep suggesting this.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back