Preview Changes for GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

May be wrong but I recall even in Arty’s hilariously low touch games last season his tackle/pressure/chase stats were pretty good?

Yeah his pressure stats were pretty high

Last seasons small forwards (Pressure Acts/Tackles/Tackles inside forward 50)

Arty Jones (19.7/2.7/0.8)
Cody Weightman (15.2/2.7/1.2)
Rhylee West (15.0/3.5/1.0)
Lachie McNeil (10.8/2.3/0.7)**
Mitch Hannan (9.5/2.2/1.0)

**Lot of games as sub, had considerably less TOG than the rest

Jones' pressure acts were 11th in the league for small forwards. Bedford was number one with 23.8 pressure acts a game

Simple this week, Sanders in for VDM, Cleary to start and either Bramble or JJ as the Sub.

Stronger team than the one we put put against the Tiges.

Can understand the calls on Gallagher but he really is not to far from a break out game and not sure this would come in the slower tempo VFL

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

And then turning it over!
After several seconds of indecision while not under much pressure Bramble had a humdinger of a turnover on Saturday that had us all face palming. However apart from that shocker his DE was reported as 89.9% which is pretty good.

It's a shame that we'll long remember the one turnover that resulted in Richmond's second goal but not his 17/19 effective disposals.

In such ways are whipping boys created.

Sanders in VDM out. Gallagher to take on VDMs role.
VDM will play. Hopefully no changes. Though if laith misses Clarke is the fwd that comes in. An ordinary debut but he isn’t Robinson Crusoe there.
Sanders great today. Though kick handball ratio is not ideal. Tracking very well though and his interview after game shows attitude on point.

If VDM is ok, suspect no changes. Would sub Bramble and start Cleary.

If VDM misses, could be any of Sanders, Clarke, Daniel to come in.

I couldn’t watch the game, did JJ start forward or only move up once we lost VDM?

You would have to say we have been very disappointing so far with the draw we have had in the first 9 games before we start our tough run of games. Before the season started I believe to have a chance of top 4 we needed to be 7/2. Anything less than 6/3 would be unacceptable. Dissecting the games we have lost we been in all those at 3/4 time with 3 goals behind the greatest margin. Two of those games we put up the white flag in the last quarter dees and bombers.

If you want a glass half full look approach we are not far away. A glass half empty approach is we are well short of the mark and when games get tough and are there to win we are not desperate enough.

The next 4 weeks will decide where we are at, we need to win 3 out 4 and be 7/6 to be a chance to play finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I called for a break for Gallagher last week and was wrong. No way you drop him after a nice game across multiple roles.

OUT: Vandermeer
IN: Sanders
Sub: Bramble

FB: Cleary - Jones - Duryea
HB: Johannisen - JOD - Dale

C: Freijah - Bontempelli - Williams

HF: Harmes (to Whit) - Naughton - Macrae (+1)
FF: West - Darcy - Ugle-Hagan

R: English - Treloar - Richards

I: Keath - Sanders - Garcia - Gallagher
S: Bramble

Last edited:
Gallagher played his best game he’s a bit scrappy with his ball use but overall impressive I think he should play Vandermeers role in the forward line, he can match his running and is just a better player with similar strengths and attributes !

Freijah to the wing with support from Harmes & Gallagher. Sanders in for Vander, not sure what role he plays to be honest but we need to find him one. He can take Harmes & Gallagher inside time as I think they’re both more important for us on the outside

Cleary for Bramble, he has been poor for weeks now I’m just not too sure what he brings we don’t need another half back flanker ! He’s flaky, fumbly & wilts under pressure not too dissimilar to JJ really but JJ has more impact at his best at least. What does he add to the side ? He’s a defender who’s not damaging with the pill, poor aerially & can’t defend ? I’m sorry but that package wasn’t on my Christmas Wishlist!!! Cleary balances the side better by being more composed by foot and better defensively, to balance the run from Dale & JJ.

FB: Doc - Jones - Keath
HB: JJ - JOD - Dale

C: Freijah - Ed - Williams

HF: Harmes - Naughty - Gallagher
FF: West - Jamarra - Darcy

R: English - Bont - Treloar

Clearly - Macrae - Garcia - Sanders sub Daniel who can have an impact anywhere on the field and has been one of our most impactful in the role coming on when the pace is a bit slower

Swans & Dons both locked down Whitfield to good effect.

If we don't follow & do the same it's just plain stupid.
If history tells us anything it’s that Bevo “sticks to our structures”.

I would love to be wrong but I’ll be shocked if we lock down Whitfield. It is clearly a plan that has worked for other good coaches leading the way and should be a no brainer.

Clearly is the type of player that isn't designed for a sub role

he works his way into games with his kicking and a good structure

Out: Vanders
In: Jones (sub)

I get that Sanders dominated in the VFL but if Vandermeer is the out I think we have to bring in a quick player, preferably an actual forward. GWS is a team we can’t afford to get slower in our front half against.
The only like for like replacements are Jones & McNeil who both probably don't warrant senior selection. Although Gallagher could move to the VDM role and Sanders to replace Gallagher.

I find it tough to see how Sanders can be effective in our side over the short term. He's basically in direct competition with Macrae's role at the moment.

Gallagher was good on the weekend and just don’t see him as a small fwd. The greater future team need is for him to continue to develop in the midfield/wing.
I’d look at Jones or Clarke for vdm.

Cleary for Bramble (sub). Cleary is a HB flanker that actually defends. The team needs that exact trait. I don’t think bramble makes it long term but hard to drop someone after a 90 point win.

Another week for sanders to dominate the vfl won’t hurt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back